• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
I though thar Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2013) was melodramatic.

Drops nuke and leave.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Um, I'm not sure why you think that would be an unpopular anime opinion. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but of course all of the iterations are melodramatic. Intentionally, joyously so. Jojo has only one setting for all its elements and that's: over the top. It's part of its charm.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Um, I'm not sure why you think that would be an unpopular anime opinion. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but of course all of the iterations are melodramatic. Intentionally, joyously so. Jojo has only one setting for all its elements and that's: over the top. It's part of its charm.

^

If you didn't say this, I would have.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is and has always been a melodramatic type of show. Its campness is its charm. Aside from that, melodrama isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means to dramatize a mundane aspect of life.
Norbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The majority of English dubs are better technically and artistically than their Japanese equivalent.
Norbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Don't really know if this is an unpopular opinion, but.....

There is way to many anime shows released each season.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:

I don't understand. How so? Japanese Networks have to stay in business somehow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
The majority of English dubs are better technically and artistically than their Japanese equivalent.

I wouldn't call this an "unpopular" anime opinion so much as "utterly unfounded." Funimation - one of the biggest dubbers of anime in North America, is notorious for not doing a great job of mixing its dubs so that the background music sometimes overpowers the sound of the dialogue.

And I hope you actually understand Japanese because people who claim to be able to judge the artistic quality of Japanese audio without being able to speak the language annoy me greatly.
Quote:

Norbie wrote:

Personally, I've always been a "mo' choice = mo' bettah" kinda guy. But I know there is a theory out there that if fewer titles were made, those fewer offerings would be better. There's only so much talent out there and the profusion of titles stretches that pool thin. I'm not really sure I buy that theory but it's the kind of thing that can't really be disproven, either, I guess.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:

That would be like saying that US studios make too many TV series and movies each year. There is no requirement to watch all anime just as there is no requirement to watch all US output.

Even if it was agreed that this was true, how would you fix it?? Just who would be able to go to a Japanese Production Committee and say "You can't make that this season, the quota is already filled".
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

Speaking of Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, would you believe me if I told you that Gates, the crazy blonde balding guy, was anime-exclusive? He was never in the source material.

Interesting, I didn't know that! I never got around to reading the original source novels, largely because they were unfinished in the West. So did the story line play out similarly to the anime or was it different?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll simplify things and list 5 anime that I think are overrated (everyone loves them and I don't) and 5 anime that I think are underrated (everyone dislikes or is unaware of it but I love it).

Overrated:

1. Blood Blockade Battlefront - It wasn't bad, but I heard a lot of people saying it was anime of the season/year. It just seemed like standard, but good, action. Nothing really puts it up there with Death Parade, One Punch Man, Stardust Crusaders, or even Yuri Kuma Arashi.

2. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Again, not bad. I just think it took way too much time to get to the point, the subtitles I used to watch them (the official subs of Noziment) went by WAY too quickly to read without effort, so maybe that affected my enjoyment a bit. Either way, I don't think it was better than the other Magical Girl anime I've liked.

3. Future Diary - Here's the one I genuinely dislike passionately. Elfen Lied seems to be in the "ultraviolent crap" corner where people who like it can at least admit that it's because it tries too hard to be deep while just coming across as juvenile edge. Future Diary? I've met so many people who tell me it's an amazing anime, but everything I see from the show has been done better elsewhere. In fact, every aspect of the show is below average. I realize the true reason for its popularity is because it really milks the Yandere archetype for all its worth, and I admit that it's one of the first anime to really focus heavily on a Yandere instead of making that archetypal character a minor antagonist (like Yukako in JoJo or Jaguara from Wolf's Rain), but even then, the character in question is poorly written and becomes incredibly dull and predictable after a few scenes.

In fact, this show did what Akame Ga Kill was doing before it was cool. Substituting depth for edge, making the main character as bland as possible with his defining characteristic being to complain about how screwed up everyone around him is, yet ultimately accept the insanity begrudgingly because if he didn't, he would actually be a proactive character that's interesting to watch. Characters win confrontations that they really shouldn't despite not having the experience, resources, manpower, or abilities to believably do so, and also not having the likability to make the audience support their success.

I think the worst thing about Future Diary is that it shows us how terrible the protagonists are, yet wants us to support and at times, relate with, them! Again, it does the stupid Akame Ga Kill/Elfen Lied thing where everyone is evil, but the show tries to say that if you're a serial killer, you're bad, but if you were a serial killer and were raped as a kid, you're justified. Yukiteru is annoying when he's a whiny crybaby and frustrating when the show attempts to make him "cool" by turning him into a total douchebag scum smear that kills his friends because they tell him the inconvenient truth he'd rather not hear, rather than the reassuring lie that Yuno keeps feeding him. The show tries to paint him as a tragic hero, but really, he's a villain. Not a cool villain protagonist like Light Yagami or Walter White. No, no. He's more like a guy who deals cocaine and kills witnesses, but convinces himself that he's not a bad guy because he needs the money. He's the petty, pathetic sort of evil that can't acknowledge his own mistakes. His love for Yuno is equally bad though.

I'll try not to move onto talking about Yuno just yet, but Yukiteru's relationship with her is essentially built on his own helplessness. He is using her. Without her, he would be dead long ago. She can fight. He cannot. She is a psychopath who objectifies him and deludes herself into thinking that they are in love. He thinks she is physically attractive, but knows she's a killer who has dead bodies in her house. As she saves Yukiteru's life over the course of the show, Yukiteru seems to come to genuinely like her, but it makes no sense. First of all, the show does this weird thing where these steps happen: Yuki hates Yuno's guts and wants to get away from her, Yuno is put in a position where the antagonist is going to kill her but Yukiteru can get away, Yukiteru remembers that Yuno kept saying she loved him and protected him earlier, Yukiteru comes back and saves the day. Those exact steps happen twice that I can remember, but probably more (during the confrontation with 6th and 4th). It's total BS. He doesn't love her. He is infatuated with her, and to a pathetic degree.

So, you know that juvenile feeling when you're 12 years old and you just want to hang around the opposite sex even if it's not actually fun? Yukiteru's relationship with Yuno is DEPENDENT on him feeling that immaturity. "What kind of scumbag would I be if I just left her after all she did for me?" You would be an actual person instead of a plot device for starters. Near the end of the series, Yuno basically says that she was using Yuki to feel less lonely and Yuki was using her to feel safe. Neither loved each other in sincerity. And you know what? She's telling the absolute truth. The show, however, portrays it as one of those "lying about hating someone the whole time to make the betrayal easier" things, when really it should be taken to heart.

So, we have a character who forgives all scumbag decisions of his friends and lover because he's the good guy. Yet it comes across as a loser desperate for friends forgiving murderers because he needs more friends. And that's just the main character's list of faults. EVERYONE in this show is a scumbag, yet even the worst villains with less than 3 exceptions, are better people than Yukiteru and Yuno.

2. Wolf's Rain - It's alright I guess. I can't bring myself to rewatching. The ending is unbelievably, unnecessarily tragic, yet it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard. I think there's something I just don't personally get about it.

1. Trigun - Pretty mediocre adaptation of a good manga, if you ask me.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
^

Speaking of Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, would you believe me if I told you that Gates, the crazy blonde balding guy, was anime-exclusive? He was never in the source material.

Interesting, I didn't know that! I never got around to reading the original source novels, largely because they were unfinished in the West. So did the story line play out similarly to the anime or was it different?

There was a character in the novels that was probably the inspiration for Gates, but he had a different name and did not appear until the battle in Hong Kong near the end of the story. Everything else involving Gates, all of the really crazy stuff, was original to the anime.
Also the sisters who were antagonists in the anime were male in the novels.

Other than that I think that the anime followed the novels rather well, but it has been a while since I read them.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
^

Let me just say that Mr. Gates is the best "filler" character of all time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
@ louis6578 - interesting over-rated list. I do have to take exception to your characterization of Elfen Lied and Akame ga Kill as "depth try hards." I've seen those charges levelled at both and I think they are unfair. I'm less certain with respect to Elfen Lied since it's been a number of years since I've seen it. I am aware of the scene that is usually cited as being crudely over manipulative because ... well, because it is. But I'll set EL aside because I really don't remember it well enough. However, Akame ga Kill was fun popcorn entertainment that I don't feel was trying to pretend to be anything else. The only thing is that it made some really interesting choices that surprised me and offered a different take on what you would normally see in a show like that. Again, I reject the notion that those choices were made in some sort of, "zomg, aren't we trying to be deep???" way. Mainly I think there was simply an attempt to subvert conventional expectations for entertainment value. Going back to EL, there is definitely a strain of very particular Japanese "theater of cruelty" that is not particularly well understood in the West. To recoil from it is natural given our homegrown entertainment norms are different, but it shouldn't be casually dismissed as depth try hard.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I was being ironic. Like saying the most obvious thing ever in an unpopular opinion thread. That's a very Brazilian type of humor. Rolling Eyes

Yes I was really entertained by JoJo's over the top atmosphere. Its like one of the most over the top things I watched.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I was being ironic. Like saying the most obvious thing ever in an unpopular opinion thread. That's a very Brazilian type of humor. Rolling Eyes

I'm starting to understand why there are no world famous Brazilian comedians. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 84