• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s Part II: You've Got To Have Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Vifam sounds kind of interesting; I'll watch it after I finish Galient. Curse you, ANNCast, I think you've got me into 80s robot anime! I swore that I'd avoid that trap, but alas... Razz

Vifam might have been more interesting, but the cast of children just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I dislike Testurou's VA, and I hate him being loud and annoying in anime.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Vifam might have been more interesting, but the cast of children just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I dislike Testurou's VA, and I hate him being loud and annoying in anime.

If I can stand Chururu's shrill whining in Galient, I can take anything. It amazes me that she shares a seiyuu with Anthy of Utena.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I watched Windaria after hearing about it in part 1 and I loved it. But damn, it sure was depressing. It made me shed a few tears Crying or Very sad
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've got quite a haul of new (relatively speaking) anime to watch. In all seriousness, thank you.

I would disagree with one of the statements made, that today's anime does not take itself seriously. The problem today is that it often takes itself too seriously, given the often absurd set-up. Of course, there is nothing more absurd than giant humanoid robots, but whatever.

The only Ghibli movies I've seen are Spirited Away and Nausicaa (Although I didn't really care for Nausicaa's story). Sorry. And I've never seen Akira either. And I still call myself an anime fan. HAhahaha-cough, cough.

And as for Touch, I'll watch +180 baseball games a year (actually, I was watching a game while listening to this (Arizona & San Fran)), but you could never, never get me to watch a single sports anime. Wait, does Ma-jong or Shogi count? Correction, I would never watch a sports anime that does not involve crossdressers or lesbians. Are there crossdressers or lesbians in Touch?

I will be looking forward to the nineties, if not just to get away from all these mecha titles. Honestly, the nineties are probably my favorite era, mostly because of all the crazy OVAs.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So I just got done rewatching the Patlabor movies (1 & 2 anyway) this week. Just curious, if Patlabor 2 had been a late 80's production instead of early 90's, would any of you spoiler[besides Justin] have placed it?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
And I've never seen Akira either.

Neither have I, in 14 years of watching anime.

Quote:
I will be looking forward to the nineties, if not just to get away from all these mecha titles. Honestly, the nineties are probably my favorite era, mostly because of all the crazy OVAs.

The 90s are probably my favorite decade because its the Golden Age of shoujo. Magical girl series experienced at decade-long revival thanks to Sailor Moon, and the modern shoujo romance was invented with titles like Marmalade Boy, Gokinjo Monogatari, and Kodocha.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Just curious, if Patlabor 2 had been a late 80's production instead of early 90's, would any of you spoiler[besides Justin] have placed it?

Yep, probably would've been my #3 or #2.

But that's an inherently stupid question, no offense. "You've said you loved the Godfather Part II. In your list of The Best Movies of the 90s, you did not list The Godfather Part II. If that had been made in the 1990s, would you have listed it?"
staab99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
No love for Robot Carnival?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Depending on whose a part of the 90's discussion, it could still be full of mecha (if Mike Toole is a part of it there is going to be some). It was a great decade for mecha with G Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Giant Robo, The Big O season 1 (although the crappy second season would drop it quite a bit), and Gao Gai Gar.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Remarkably, I did think of more than just making lists while listening to the episode.

I am warmly indifferent to Megazone 23 part one. It was fun, but the store had a strange, uneven flow, probably because it was stitched together, and on the whole it’s pretty trifling, its interesting finale notwithstanding. Megazone 23 Part II is much better. I hadn’t realized that Yasuomi Umetsu designed the characters, but I can easily see it in retrospect. He did a good job, especially in making the women not look like they were twelve. I think that it has a really strong, simple finale that echoes some of how the first ended, but plays it very differently. The ending treats our young heroes, and youth, very harshly, but gives them an optimistic message.

At least everybody can agree that part three is lousy. It was written by the same person who wrote Bubblegum Crash. The animation was inferior; it twices becomes a literal slideshow.

I love Justin’s gleeful malevolence.

The sheen might have been worn off, but I still think that I might like Mobile Suite Zeta Gundam. I like grim, serious stuff like that.

For some reason, even though it makes no sense, I expected Daryl to say Harmageddon instead of The Dagger of Kamui.

I saw My Neighbor Totoro six or seven years ago and really didn’t like it. I suppose that I should revisit it. I could believe that I have a bleak, pitiless void in lieu of a soul, which I in fact sold in the seventh grade for lunch money. I have never seen Kiki’s Delivery Service, but I would like to. I remember the television advertisements back when it was first released.

I haven’t seen Akira since Saturday Anime. To be honest, back then I tended to avoid it, but I should probably revisit it.

I really want to see Night on the Galactic Railroad. ‘Train in space’ works well for me as a premise and it sounds like the kind of strange, atmospheric and intimate story that I really love.

I liked the original Bubblegum Crisis is all right; it was entertaining and cool looking, but shallow.

I was waiting for Justin to raise GoShogun: The Time Étranger. I watched it because the Buried Treasures column about it really intrigued me and I liked it a real lot. I’m still not sure that I buy the Islaamic extremism angle, at least not as something that was specifically criticized, I feel like the Muslim motifs were a superficial choice made because it licensed some cool and foreign looking design, but it does work as a general indictment of unthinking commitment to tradition. I also found very emotionally affecting. I bought into the camaraderie among the characters very quickly despite how little the film really reveals about them and the finale inspired a strong mix of emotional responses. Strange to think that it was directed by the guy who later went on to direct the first Pokémon film.

For some reason I can’t get even remotely interested in Golgo 13, I’ll probably break down and watch it some day, but without enthusiasm. The character just seems disposable. Oddly, Zac’s aesthetic dismay did the most of anything said to make me interested. I like gritty, grim, dirty and gross. Perhaps because I’m at least two of those things… no, not the good two.

So, who wins in a three-way brawl with Duke Togo, Bean and MD Geist?

Tim has a way of making me curious about robot shows that I would otherwise not care about. I still mean to look into Panzer World Gallient and the two that he mentioned in this episode sound interesting too.

Space Adventure Cobra is available at Hulu. Before I had been deliberately avoiding it, but now plan to exploit that fact sometime soon.

While I have not seen most of what appears on these lists, Tim is the only person who named something I’ve never even heard of in passing before by choosing Galactic Drifter Vifam.

I totally thought that Tim’s number one choice would be California Crisis: Gun Salvo.

I really would like to see Armored Trooper VOTOMS. It sounds like a really smart series that’s free of some of the preposterousness that deters me from a lot of other robot series and grounds its mecha as firmly in ‘reality’ as can be done. I’ve seen some of the designs and I like how unromantic they look.

I love the raw, flawed humanity of pure hand-drawn animation. Modern digital animation sometimes looks too slick, too perfected. It can make watching it feel very empty and inhuman. It can feel as though there’s scarce point in looking closely at it because by its nature it will betray nothing of the people who made it and the work that they did. Even though digital animations do immense amounts of work, the method flenses the final product of any real signs of their touch.

timeldred wrote:
While reviewing things, I realized that I forgot to offer another comment on Time Etranger: it always seemed to me like anime's answer to The Prisoner. It seemed to do for super robot tropes what The Prisoner did for British secret agent tropes; twisted them through a surreal grinder into something much more interesting.

I could buy that. I actually have all of The Prisoner sitting, waiting to be watched, on my dresser. I got around to the pilot a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen the rest since The Sci-Fi Channel showed them. (Man, it was weird to see Jim Hacker be all evil and duplicitous; it'll be outright surreal when Rumpole of the Bailey shows up being manipulative and cryptic)

On a basic level they both trap their protagonists in a situation that seems to be the consequence of their pasts, but without an idea of what is wanted of them and who wants it. I imagine some of the more surreal elements of The Prisoner make for a stronger comparison, but barely remember those. I'll have to keep in mind to watch GoShogun: The Time Étranger after I've finally finished The Prisoner.

Hopeably we won't see a remake with Remy played by Jesus Christ.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Vifam sounds kind of interesting; I'll watch it after I finish Galient. Curse you, ANNCast, I think you've got me into 80s robot anime! I swore that I'd avoid that trap, but alas... Razz

I haven't started looking at them yet, but I know the feeling. Curse that Tim Eldred and his persuasive enthusiasm! The only one that he talked about that I'm not really interested in watching is Giant Gorg, although I probably will look for a little of that just to see the artwork and because I really like the design of Giant Gorg itself.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Quote:

The 90s are probably my favorite decade because its the Golden Age of shoujo. Magical girl series experienced at decade-long revival thanks to Sailor Moon, and the modern shoujo romance was invented with titles like Marmalade Boy, Gokinjo Monogatari, and Kodocha.

The nineties mean a lot to me because that's where I started with anime. It was when my truest favorites, like Patlabor 2 and Cowboy Bebop were made, yielded a few things that I love beyond their merits, but love all the same like Armitage III and was the era of one or two things that I no longer like, but where very important to my early interest in anime, like Saber Marionette J.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yep, probably would've been my #3 or #2.

But that's an inherently stupid question, no offense. "You've said you loved the Godfather Part II. In your list of The Best Movies of the 90s, you did not list The Godfather Part II. If that had been made in the 1990s, would you have listed it?"
If the first Patlabor movie hadn't been made in the 80s, it would be an inherently stupid question. However, since Patlabor 1 was from the 80s, was mentioned (IIRC in part 1), and yet didn't make the cut, I was just curious if that meant anything about you guys' take on the second. Yes, even though it wasn't part of the discussion directly.

Last edited by Veers on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Depending on whose a part of the 90's discussion, it could still be full of mecha (if Mike Toole is a part of it there is going to be some). It was a great decade for mecha with G Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Giant Robo, The Big O season 1 (although the crappy second season would drop it quite a bit), and Gao Gai Gar.

I'm kind of hoping the 90s show isn't heavily weighed down by the second half of the decade. There's a to choose from, but will such easy, safe, and mostly boring choices like, GitS, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Bebop, and so on be displaced by more interesting picks? I know they're often people's favorites, but it doesn't hurt to be more adventurous, and Patlabor 2 like other said would definitely fit that. I see it as Honneamise of the 90s, even if it is only a few years apart. Maybe Jin-Roh as the obligatory Oshii work? This goes in line with that rant I have about people looking to the 90s and comparing wth today, but they often haven't seen enough to fully judge or properly compare either decade. Like they don't know how devoid the early 90s are of exceptional anime.

Veers wrote:
If the first Patlabor movie hadn't been made in the 80s, it would be an inherently stupid question. However, since Patlabor 1 was from the 80s, was mentioned (IIRC in part 1), and yet didn't make the cut, I was just curious if that meant anything about you guys' take on the second.

Well, they're different films. Patlabor 1 is a detective film and mostly dry until the infiltration assault on the Ark. Whereas Patlabor 2 is a political thriller and poses much deeper themes and questions more in the style of Jin-Roh and episodes 5 and 6 of the Patlabor OVA. Instead of labors going berserk, it's more being able to put your trust into the military and government when crises arise, or how widespread is the corruption and fear. Patlabor 2 reflects real-life decisions the Japanese government has made and what the public's reactions have been, Patlabor 1 is some asshole who doesn't like progress trying to ruin the Babylon Project because he has a God complex. They're both great films, but when compared side-by-side, even to the OVA, Patlabor 2 will usually come out on top as the better piece of work.

One question I wish I could get the answer to: what would it have been like if the Patlabor films had hit big in the west instead of Ghost in the Shell? I only really watched GitS recently, and I personally don't think the transhumanism and cyberpunk themes hold up as well, and that movie is about as slow as the Sky Crawlers as various points. That's one where I can definitely tell people were more impressed with it because anime as a whole might have been a new concept to them, but upon visiting it well after being a seasoned fan, I just wasn't too impressed with movie, even visually; the same long pans of slums and decrepit neighborhoods was done well enough in Patlabor 1. Can I say I believe it to be overrated? Am I missing something vital? Maybe it's because I did come it too late, when the whole "what is a man, what is a machine with consciousness" debate is really really tired. I suppose that accompanies being unimpressed by the vision of the future presented, as I've seen more than enough sci-fi for it to not present anything new. The point is, GitS' themes don't hold up to me, but Patlabor's 2 still do.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

I'm kind of hoping the 90s show isn't heavily weighed down by the second half of the decade. There's a to choose from, but will such easy, safe, and mostly boring choices like, GitS, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Bebop, and so on be displaced by more interesting picks? I know they're often people's favorites, but it doesn't hurt to be more adventurous, and Patlabor 2 like other said would definitely fit that. I see it as Honneamise of the 90s, even if it is only a few years apart. Maybe Jin-Roh as the obligatory Oshii work? This goes in line with that rant I have about people looking to the 90s and comparing wth today, but they often haven't seen enough to fully judge or properly compare either decade. Like they don't know how devoid the early 90s are of exceptional anime.

Sailor Moon, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Tekkaman Blade, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Giant Robo, Slam Dunk, Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki 1, and 2 and the Oh my Goddess OVA are all really good early 90's anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sailor Moon, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Tekkaman Blade, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Giant Robo, Slam Dunk, Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki 1, and 2 and the Oh my Goddess OVA are all really good early 90's anime.

Giant Robo spans the 90s, and the second Tenchi OVA is more middle. If we just take aim at 1990 to 1994, there's actually not an incredible amount compared to some other periods of years. I can even add Magic Knight Rayearth, Nadia, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Silent Mobius, Please Save My Earth, A Wind Named Amnesia, Record of Lodoss War, Cyber City OEDO 808, Gundam 0083 and G Gundam, but there's still a ton more in the latter half of the decade.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
If Golgo 13 had been made Live Action, it would have starred Charles Bronson!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5