• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s Part II: You've Got To Have Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only character who hates Ed. I've never liked super powered and unstoppable hacker types, and when mixed with being an annoying person, it doubles. She's a shining problem I have with Cowboy Bebop, just like Kanuka Clancy being a know-it-all and insufferable bitch hurts parts of Patlabor. Her role could have been completely assumed by Shinobu or Asuma.

I don't mind her mainly because she was the only person other than Spike that actually seems to have a useful ability. Jet's main use was cooking, and Faye's best skill(flying) was useless because Spike was the better flyer.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Cool episode, looking forward to the 90's episode now.

Have to say I'm looking forward to checking out Space Adventure Cobra now, describing it as a 1970 conceptual sci-fi painting definitely sells it for me.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Not going to knock opinion when there is a subjective case, most things are subjective.

But how anyone could pick Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13 or Riding Beam of all things over the masterful Gunbuster is beyond me!

While I personally think Gunbuster is better then anything on this list (my favorite anime of all time in fact), I can accept someone seeing the other shows as superior.

But the 3 anime's I pointed out are objectively far inferior to Gunbuster. There is objective truth sometimes. My mind is boggled!!

I am also shocked Riding Beam made the list over Grave of the fireflies!

What next? Vampire wars and sword for truth making the 90's list over Cowboy Bebop?

My feelings exactly. I think Ginbuster is very important in the world of Anime, and seeing not being in anyone's list is a travesty - that's right, Travesty with a capital "T". Cool

And "Grave of the fireflies"? Who knew Panzer World Galliant, Armor Fighter Mellowlink, Giant Gorg, Galactic Drifter Vifam, Blue Meteor SPT Layzner, Fist of the North Star, Project A-ko, Urusei Yatsura, Dagger of Kamu,i etal are better or more important? Shocked

One of my favourite releases is Bandai's US Three disc set, a very beautiful package. I also got the recent "Gunbuster: The Complete Edition" BD set from Japan - which is another great package.

Be nice

p.s. why was "Akira" missing from some of the lists, it belongs in the top 3 Crying or Very sad
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
But how anyone could pick Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13 or Riding Beam of all things over the masterful Gunbuster is beyond me!

But the 3 anime's I pointed out are objectively far inferior to Gunbuster. There is objective truth sometimes. My mind is boggled!!

I am also shocked Riding Beam made the list over Grave of the fireflies!

What next? Vampire wars and sword for truth making the 90's list over Cowboy Bebop?

Norbie wrote:
And "Grave of the fireflies"? Who knew Panzer World Galliant, Armor Fighter Mellowlink, Giant Gorg, Galactic Drifter Vifam, Blue Meteor SPT Layzner, Fist of the North Star, Project A-ko, Urusei Yatsura, Dagger of Kamu,i etal are better or more important?

These are personal lists, so there's no reason to call out these guys for not including stuff like Grave of the Fireflies or Gunbuster for not making their lists. And, hell, when Gunbuster came up in a Top 3 list, the guys made their points regarding Gunbuster not being in any of their lists.

And, aeris, while "There is objective truth sometimes", it cannot be applied to liking a piece of entertainment. Personal taste is subjective in and of itself, so no title, anime, live-action, etc., can be "objectively better" than anything else, because not everyone can agree on that. An objective truth regarding Gunbuster would be that it was the anime that introduced the "Gainax Bounce", since it was the first Gainax anime to have that kind of breast bouncing, and no one can deny that. But saying that Gunbuster is "objectively better" than Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13, & Riding Bean is just silly, because that's your own personal opinion in the first place; you're opining that your feelings are objective, which doesn't work.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's great to see some more Gundam on the list, especially Zeta Gundam, which is personally my absolute favorite UC Gundam TV series. But I really cannot agree with the assertion that ZZ and Zeta are on the same level. I think that Daryl summed it up pretty well when he mentioned the sudden jump from a serious show to something akin to Scooby Doo. In addition, I enjoyed the more complex plotlines that were present in Zeta Gundam compared to the silly hijinks that the main characters of ZZ were getting themselves into in the first half of the show. But I do enjoy ZZ mind you, as it does shape up and get more serious in the second half. Additionally there are a few plot points that really captivated me towards the end (such as the plotlines that developed with Elpeo Ple, Ple Two, and Glemy Toto). I will admit that I may like Judau a bit more than Kamille as a character as well, however one character cannot make a show superior. Zeta Gundam just had a fantastic plot and storyline which I believe makes it a timeless classic, regardless of what anyone else says.

Also, would I be a horrible human being if I admitted to enjoying Megazone 23 Part III?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The reason people like the last two episodes the most is because that's when they are most concerned with action which doesn't rely on getting attached to what's happening.

While some people may think so, I don't really believe that is the case. The action sequences are certainly nice to look at, no doubt, but the last episode in particular would be a complete waste of time if there were no explicit or implicit connections to what had been previously established. In spite of mixing together several genres and their constituent elements over its running time, which is admittedly a risky move that not everyone will appreciate, I believe there was at least a reasonably successful effort in Gunbuster to turn Noriko and (eventually) Kazumi into relatively sympathetic characters. Perhaps even Coach Ohta too, to a lesser extent.

That doesn't require making every other character equally important in the eyes of the audience and you don't need a huge amount of overall development either. Nevertheless, the first couple of episodes, as much as they were obviously working as a parody, did have a role to play in that regard. They're not exactly the greatest thing ever, but they're also not any better or worse than the equivalent introductory arcs of many sports-based titles. Just as there are certain viewers who may find themselves feeling bored or annoyed by such formulaic material, which is admittedly quite a bit cheesy if you expected anything else, others don't have any particular problems going along with the flow and starting to sympathize with the protagonist's situation. In that sense, even the Smith Torren angle, despite his utter lack of characterization, is far from a serious flaw: spoiler[his death is only important because it illustrates the inescapable danger of the alien threat and serves as yet another blow to Noriko that forces her to work harder in the long run. A truly mature individual wouldn't have felt anything, but it's not hard to believe that a teenage girl -who has also lost her father- could feel sad over the death of someone who had started to become her friend and perhaps a potential love-interest.] It's not like this concept is completely unheard of. I will not, of course, deny that the later episodes are superior based on their own merits, yet they're not exactly unrelated to what had come before either.

Would this have worked better as a full length series? Surely, but even with only what's already there, it's not exactly impossible to find something worthwhile. That said, I don't believe there was any "objective" obligation or any particular need to put Gunbuster on any of these lists of personal favorites from the decade. I'd probably just consider placing it somewhere on mine from time to time, depending on the circumstances.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The 80s really had a lot of really good, groundbreaking anime productions. I actually think more than the 2000s did (I tend to strain to complete my top 10 after my top 5).

Gunbuster is clearly a very important anime, but I do think it's just a notch below the majority of the titles in these lists.

Personally, Daryl Surat's list is closest to my personal tastes, genre-wise, though Justin's list pretty much hits on all the anime that were extremely relevant in Japan that decade.

On the other hand, I still have Votoms in my top 3 after all these years. Might be number 1 still. So while I'm not as big on mecha, Tim's best anime is still somewhere near the top for me personally as well.

I find it fascinating that these lists are dominated by FILMS. I'd venture to say that there was never a better decade for anime films than the 80s.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
When I was 13 one of my friends got nearly all of the ghibli films (minus only yesterday, yamadas & earthsea) from HMV and we marathoned but I didn't know it was a thing at the time that was supposed to be important. I f I'd been told I had to watch it I might have felt less willing to watch it.

When people push stuff on you it can be quite irritating, however, saying that I did make sure to grab Akira because of its required watching status.
timeldred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
A word on this Gunbuster issue...

I'm glad some people have chosen it as their favorite anime of all time. What's great about anime is that there's so much variety, practically everyone can find something that speaks to them on a personal and private level. And, naturally, that makes it special to you.

But evangelizing that until you become baffled that anyone could disagree means you have completely missed the point of the exercise. If you don't step back from that, all you're going to do is invite opposition. As we discussed in the 'cast, that's exactly the sort of psycho-fan behavior that turned me off from Urusei Yatsura and Bubblegum Crisis. And I'm not the only one.

The previous post on this was absolutely correct: there is no objective truth when it comes to picking your favorites. If you pretend otherwise, you sacrifice credibility. And if you get combative, you'll do the opposite of what you intend: train people to dislike your favorite.

I'm not overstating this. I've seen it happen over and over since I entered the arena in the early 80s.

To sum up: I'm really glad Gunbuster gives some people the time of their lives. It doesn't do the same for me, but that's OK since I found other things that do. We all win until we fight over it, then we all lose.
timeldred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
One more thing: rather than resenting the fact that none of us put your fave in our top ten, howsabout being thankful that four people with a lot of viewing experience have tipped you off to a WHOLE BUNCH of titles that you might like? No one should ever dismiss an invitation to widen their world.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
One more thing: rather than resenting the fact that none of us put your fave in our top ten, howsabout being thankful that four people with a lot of viewing experience have tipped you off to a WHOLE BUNCH of titles that you might like? No one should ever dismiss an invitation to widen their world.

I wish I could impart that wisdom of people refuse to watch older anime because it "looks old", or people who refuse to watch newer anime because it's not old anime, like Jeremy from Destroy All Podcasts. Hate to call him out on this, but I just wholeheartedly disagree with that kind of view and believe there's more for people like him to see than just sequels to older shows. They may dislike some of what they see, but it's worth it to try.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched Zeta Gundam for the first time back in 2005 on Animax Asia. Watched Double Zeta first on the same timeslot. Don't really feel the need to rewatch ZZ, but Zeta is one of mt al-time favorites.

Gunbuster was a blind buy for me (though I did wait a while after the Bandai Visual USA DVD set was released), but I absolutely loved everything else by Hideaki Anno I've seen and Carl Horn gave a glowing review for the VHS re-release in Animerica (mid-nineties).

Never seen Akira from beginning to end. Annoyingly, the U.S.-released Region A Blu-ray is OOP and eBay's listings seem to be full of the Region B (which I won't be able to play). Guess I'll have to settle for the R1 DVD.

(Now that we have an HD set-up I try to get movies on Blu-ray when available.)
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:

The previous post on this was absolutely correct: there is no objective truth when it comes to picking your favorites. If you pretend otherwise, you sacrifice credibility. And if you get combative, you'll do the opposite of what you intend: train people to dislike your favorite.

That's always a double-edged sword, sure, and it's clearly wrong to immediately jump up and say "this show should have been on the list!" because favorites are certainly not objective. I believe you're absolutely correct there and nobody should "force" anything down someone else's throat in terms of what anime they should enjoy or simply even watch.

However, once the discussion got started here in the forum and specific statements were made about the OVA in question, I felt it was worth talking more about the show itself and less about whether someone did or didn't include it as one of their favorite anime. I imagine there are those who take one quick look at my previous post and assume I'm trying to promote Gunbuster as the best thing ever, but that's completely missing the point.

Going back to the main subject of the podcast, this reminds me of a couple of comments that slipped through my mind. I appreciate your recommendations for Vifam, as someone who enjoyed its perhaps lesser "echo" back in the day, and for SPT Layzner, which I once started but haven't really gone back to in many months because the kind folks responsible for the translation had apparently taken a break at the time. Now that the first arc is done, I'll have to try watching it again.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
To sum up: I'm really glad Gunbuster gives some people the time of their lives. It doesn't do the same for me, but that's OK since I found other things that do. We all win until we fight over it, then we all lose.

Posts like this give me the impression there are folks who just want to step up, say their piece, and be done with it. Where's the fun in that? It's rewarding to hold opinions up to scrutiny. Last week's back and forth about Zac's nonplussed reaction to DYRL is exactly why I want to post on forums. I love that movie, but it's not a sacred cow, and neither is anything anyone says about it. I don't see the posts here about Bebop and Gunbuster as any less interesting. I mean, what has it come to that there would be internet yes men engaging in rote validation of one another's feelings?

fuuma_monou wrote:
Never seen Akira from beginning to end. Annoyingly, the U.S.-released Region A Blu-ray is OOP and eBay's listings seem to be full of the Region B (which I won't be able to play). Guess I'll have to settle for the R1 DVD.

There's a cheaper 2011 release of Akira on Blu-ray at amazon's Japanese webpage. As per asianblurayguide.com, this release includes English subtitles and audio.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
There's a cheaper 2011 release of Akira on Blu-ray at amazon's Japanese webpage. As per asianblurayguide.com, this release includes English subtitles and audio.

Thanks for the heads up. Generally don't bother to check the Japanese releases due to the usual high prices and lack of English translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5