• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't get the initial KnK on release because I was slow so KnK rerelease is going to be nice!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Go fudge yourself Aniplex. I'm not buying an inferior DVD version of KnK just because you wanted to gouge people on the BD.
Sigh...

You are not entitled to a BD, and cheap prices. At least you're getting it in a more affordable release. Do you seriously want the DVD to not come, and for the BD to remain at inflated prices?

Also the DVD isn't that bad compared to the BD. It's not some extremely massive difference. Yes the BD is better, but the DVD isn't some VHS quality.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1901064&postcount=356
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tsukento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Go fudge yourself Aniplex. I'm not buying an inferior DVD version of KnK just because you wanted to gouge people on the BD.
Sigh...

You are not entitled to a BD, and cheap prices. At least you're getting it in a more affordable release. Do you seriously want the DVD to not come, and for the BD to remain at inflated prices?

Also the DVD isn't that bad compared to the BD. It's not some extremely massive difference. Yes the BD is better, but the DVD isn't some VHS quality.

While we're not entitled to it, that still doesn't mean it's perfectly okay to skimp out on a Blu-ray release when Japan itself has one. It's clearly just Aniplex trying to prevent reverse importing, while denying the western audience a release. It's bad enough they go to the lengths of charging Japanese prices for their western releases. At the end of the day, you're still getting an inferior product when a superior one exists; just not in your region.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally! So glad they're re-releasing Oreimo! Hope it's at good pricing! Very Happy
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
It's clearly just Aniplex trying to prevent reverse importing, while denying the western audience a release.
Eh, not really. It's strange to find that the reason considering the Japanese release is long since sold out. It's a wonder why we aren't getting the BD, but at least we're getting the movies. I'd rather have a cheaper DVD release, than have to pay inflated prices on Amazon for the OOP BD.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-3921
http://www.amazon.co.jp/劇場版「空の境界」Blu-ray-Disc-BOX-坂本真綾/dp/B0040QE5NI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333754441&sr=8-2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShindoW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy to see Oreimo is getting a rerelease, I am still disappointed in not getting the LE. They should have done a second wave when they saw there was demand for it.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ShindoW wrote:
While I'm happy to see Oreimo is getting a rerelease, I am still disappointed in not getting the LE. They should have done a second wave when they saw there was demand for it.
Agreed, it would have been worthwhile. They clearly underestimated the show. It sold out in a little over a month, not in 2 some years.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Sigh...

uh those screenshots show that there is a massive difference in quality. Unless the person making the screenshots screwed up, the DVD shots are noticeably blurry. I have seen better DVDs from Funimation.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Very Pleased to See Garden of Sinners getting a Re-Release. Sadly not Blu ray but i totally understand why.

Japan sharing the US Region for Blu ray is really causing a problem for Anime Licenses. Heaven's Lost Property 2 for example.

Oreimo i pre-ordered last time. Glad for those who didn't buy it last time considering how much Anime Vultures on Amazon etc are trying to get for it.

Hopefully Garden of Sinners get a nice Edition set. Something along the lines of the Original Oreimo release would be very nice indeed.

So glad to Have Aniplex doing this. Makes me feel better about future Licences getting re-released.

As for Dub i couldnt care less if there is one or not for either show. In my world if there is a Dub i watch it Dubbed, if not I watch it subbed. Can't and never will understand this Dub vs Sub nonsense.
takachsh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
As for Dub i couldnt care less if there is one or not for either show. In my world if there is a Dub i watch it Dubbed, if not I watch it subbed. Can't and never will understand this Dub vs Sub nonsense.

This, this and this some more. Having a release for R1 consumers is what should take priority over a dub. We should be thankful firstly to even geat a legit R1 release and secondly thank the companys who do give us dub as a choice. I will never understand the concept of, No Dub = No Buy.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
ShindoW wrote:
Agreed, it would have been worthwhile. They clearly underestimated the show. It sold out in a little over a month, not in 2 some years.

I dont want to be a douche, but if its Limited and you really want it Pre order or at least buy within the first 2 weeks. A second Print Limited Edition wouldnt be very limited would it?

What i can get on board with tho' is the notion that it shouldnt be Limited in the First place. Just Supply the demand as it comes. Have a Premium set and if it sells out then make a few more. Someone will lose out eventually but at least 90% of those who wanted it would get it. Also Aniplex gets the Premium Sale as well. I suppose that is essentially what you guys mean anyway.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Eh, not really. It's strange to find that the reason considering the Japanese release is long since sold out.

But that would make even more sense as to why there isn't a BD release, as that would mean the Japanese would turn to reverse importing, thus killing any potential future re-release possibilities there. Having it DVD-only further keeps them away due to region coding differences.

Point being that having a DVD-only release for KnK is basically a "Sucks to be you." from Aniplex towards anyone who wanted a normal BD release but couldn't possibly afford the set (or has common logic that $500 for anime, or just about anything else, is a lot of money). Same with OreImo, but to a different degree, as it basically says they have no real interest in bothering with the series. No dub, $70 price point for a "Limited Edition" release with no standard edition until much later on and no Blu-ray release. I heard the subbing also had some issues with grammar (which is what stopped me from watching their horrible Star Driver stream). Meanwhile, Japan got a BD release. We pretty much got an inferior product.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Very Pleased to See Garden of Sinners getting a Re-Release. Sadly not Blu ray but i totally understand why.

Japan sharing the US Region for Blu ray is really causing a problem for Anime Licenses. Heaven's Lost Property 2 for example.

Oreimo i pre-ordered last time. Glad for those who didn't buy it last time considering how much Anime Vultures on Amazon etc are trying to get for it.

Hopefully Garden of Sinners get a nice Edition set. Something along the lines of the Original Oreimo release would be very nice indeed.

So glad to Have Aniplex doing this. Makes me feel better about future Licences getting re-released.

They should stopped simtaneous releases of dubs on the arrival but on a later date to have when it's a digital download release.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Not Blu-ray, not buying.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

uh those screenshots show that there is a massive difference in quality. Unless the person making the screenshots screwed up, the DVD shots are noticeably blurry. I have seen better DVDs from Funimation.

The DVD screenshots are upscaled to 1080 for comparison to the BD. Usually, that's done when comparing video quality of the DVD to an upscaled BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11