• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura-Con 2012 - FUNimation Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
You would think the company would've done something to address the concerns of the fans regarding any possible future concerning the DBZ Blu-Rays. Did they address this during the Q&A panel?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The panel ended with a Q&A with the audience.

....which entailed WHAT exactly? Asking what hair coloring gel Gen Fukanaga uses? Why FUN is capitalized in FUNimation? Vic Mangina is no longer allowed to do any future FUNi titles?

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
Shangri-la?! I heard that flopped badly in Japan! Although, I enjoyed it when I watched it on Crunchyroll =) What a surprisingly pick up!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Did they not say anything about Black Rock Shooter? They just started randomly streaming it on their site right before the show ended (I think around episode 6) without any kind of announcement. It has it's own page and everything. It's also not a FuNico thing, since it streamed on the JP Nico Nico.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Did they not say anything about Black Rock Shooter? They just started randomly streaming it on their site right before the show ended (I think around episode 6) without any kind of announcement. It has it's own page and everything. It's also not a FuNico thing, since it streamed on the JP Nico Nico.

I just noticed that last night while looking around their website idly. I was really surprised as I didn't remember ANN announcing that they'd licensed Black Rock Shooter in any form. I'm happy about it too; I never got around to watching the last two episodes from Nico Nico Douga.

It seems we don't know everything we thought we did about FUNIMation. Who knows what else they've done without anybody noticing. Somebody had better press Lance Heiskell about whether they're enriching Uranium at the next panel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

FUNi does has a panel on Anime Boston today, maybe they might announce it there.
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Funimation should make a Roku channel for their online streaming service. It's so much more convenient than using a PC or a console.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

It is a Funico thing, as the listing at NicoNico.com should prove:
http://ch.niconico.com/channel/ch60221
They started streaming two episodes per week, and just finished the series yesterday.

This was the announcement at NicoNico.com:
http://blog.niconico.com/information/2012/03/black-rock-shooter-now-on-niconicocom.html
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yea, it was a FuNico thing a few days before the last episode aired. My point was that they didn't simulcast it like N2 is usually used for. The only announcement in the Encyclopedia that talks about BRS TV being streamed is this one, and that talks about the Nico Nico Douga stream; there is no mention of Funimation or Funico in there.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose I could ask Adam about it at the Funimation booth, provided he's there tomorrow, seeing as it's Sunday and all. I can't recall from previous years if he was at their booth on Sundays.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Seems the BRS anime is a pretty complicated license. It's sub licensed out to a toy company who is really more interested in selling the figures than the anime, so getting the license to any sort of physical media sounds like it'll be pretty tricky. They got the stream when they did because that's when it became available to them.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Seems the BRS anime is a pretty complicated license. It's sub licensed out to a toy company who is really more interested in selling the figures than the anime, so getting the license to any sort of physical media sounds like it'll be pretty tricky. They got the stream when they did because that's when it became available to them.

Ah, that makes sense (I too had just noticed the streams a few days ago and was confused), thanks for asking about that!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Yea, it was a FuNico thing a few days before the last episode aired.

A week before (episodes 1 & 2 went up on March 16), but that still puts it far from being a simulcast.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

So the international license got sub-licensed to a toy company (I assume Max Factory in this case)? Interesting.

I guess that would make a little sense why the thing was simulcasted in all the different languages and the home media release has at least english subs. Instead of dealing with the messiness of licensing the property internationally...people can just import it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Panty & Stocking? Or their presence in actually getting material on TV last week with that Adult Swim prank?

Sounds like softballs were being thrown.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2