• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigikun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gigikun wrote:
There wasn't an episode this week. The editor for Space Brothers said on twitter they were taking this week off because they had been working feverously to finish each episode every week. There should be one next week though. Kind of ironic though, the day that there's no Space Brothers, Neil Armstrong dies...

Uh, why? This is not a complicated show to animate or to write. Any given eppie has a number of long, dialogue-less reaction shots that must save time.

Don't ask me, just relaying what the editor of Space Brothers said on twitter. And tbh, each episode (at least in the beginning, haven't checked lately) is about 2 chapters in the manga. So not like they're trying to slow down the rhythm imo
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@Gigikun - sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was asking you personally - it was a question I was posing to the Universe at large. Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
And it was a question that seemed to imply a certain disdain for the show.

Everyone needs some vacation time. You make it sound like turning out anime episodes week after week is child's play.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
And it was a question that seemed to imply a certain disdain for the show.

Everyone needs some vacation time. You make it sound like turning out anime episodes week after week is child's play.

There are lots of 2-cours shows that don't take "vacations" or slap together a recap episode to buy time. I'm simply wondering why a show like Space Brothers needs it. We've just finished a 10 or 11 episode arc where the backgrounds were very simple, plus none of the animation was particularly complex. It's not like there were any elaborate fight scenes are whatnot. I'm not asking the question out of any kind of disdain, I'm simply curious.

By the way, I'm glad SB hasn't gone the recap episode route (yet). I much rather a show take a week off, then do the recap thing.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Another thing to consider, though, is that there may be other projects that the studio is working on at the same time which might make it a bit more difficult to finish producing the episodes on time. Unless we actually work in the studio, we really don't know all the factors are.
Gigikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
A1 seems to have lots of new series in the fall, maybe it's (partly) because of that? Anyway, looking forward to the next episode. I've read the manga and there's awesome episodes ahead it seems =D (this is not a spoiler because all episodes have been awesome up until now as well xD)
Gigikun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
In last episode's opening there seemed to be a small change compared to usual. This time only, the opening had one person appear that wasn't normally in the OP but people had to find him and recognize him (some artist, music artist probably) and send their answers to a certain site to win some prize. I found him quite easily, but does anyone know who the guy is?

EDIT: Apparently the company's doing this to try and motivate people to wake up and watch it when it airs rather than record it and watch it later when they wake up (since it airs at 7 am on a Sunday) seeing as the people can only win something if they submit the answer before 8 am

(Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/c_cobs/news/yukanga/2012/08/post-754.html)
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
spoiler[So we finally found out the 2 winners of the trip to Houston.
Nitta and Serika were the lucky ones.
I was kinda expecting Mutta to be one of them, but...oh, well.
It was a nice reunion.
Seeing Hibito again was nice too. It's been a while.
I'm glad they added another invite for Mutta.]

It's about time he finally becomes an astronaut.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
The preview for next week cracked me up: Mutta as a spoiler[shopping mall Santa?] Should be good for a laugh or two!
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying it, but there's about 10 minutes of worth-while footage in that episode. The rest are re-used animation and stills....grrr. Common A-1...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I'm still enjoying it, but there's about 10 minutes of worth-while footage in that episode. The rest are re-used animation and stills....grrr. Common A-1...

I know - that goes to my point above: for a show that uses so many animation short-cuts, it surprised me that its staff needed to skip a week to get back on schedule. I'd hate to see how far they'd fall behind if SB was a complicated or ambitious (in an animation sense) project.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Kenji made it.

I am a tad confused as to why the other dude dropped out. Sure, he wants to be a xeno-biologist, but can't he be that and an astronaut at the same time?

I love the mention of Europa in this episode. That's where we should be sending our space probes. I like how events in Space Brothers are plausibly extrapolated from our current knowledge of space. It gives the show a grounded feel. There's no crazy Sci-Fi, just space programs with bigger budgets and a few more years of experience than the one we have now.

Oh, and Serika was so cute dancing around like that. Nanba, stop going to Houston to live with your brother and his dog and start wooing that amazing woman.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
I've given up on Namba-kun. Every time he mopes around and wonders what he should be doing, I find myself yelling at the screen telling him to ask Serika out already! He was so enthusiastic about meeting her for dinner even if he had to be there in the company of his fellow team members. Why doesn't he just call her up and ask her to dinner? Perhaps between his lack of funds and her enormous appetite he fears he cannot afford it? She seems like the kind of woman who would not care what they ate and would be happy meeting up for some udon. She'd probably go "dutch," too.

I wondered if the mention of Europa was a tribute to Clarke's 2010 novel and the movie on which it was based.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
Actually, there is real scientific interest in Europa, as it probably has oceans underneath the icy crust and that means a good chance of life. Well, a better chance than elsewhere.

It was interesting seeing that monster swimming in Europa's oceans. I think it was just a metaphor or something, but was it the show telling us that life does exist on Europa and that the dude was on the right track?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Mutta's part-time job was just LOL
It's cool that they decided to send Kenji to Houston too.
The flashbacks were nice.
So was the info about space organisms.
Geez, they still have one final exam... there's just no end to those.
Hibito and Mutta reunited again ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 43