• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
@Unicorn_Blade

could have sworn you said it should not be taboo, my bad and my first comment was actually a joke i riped off of one of my favorite comedians though japan has more incest in their anime than Americans and Europeans have in their movies tv animation put together isn't it a little odd

@Dorcas_Aurelia

I think its intuitively even instinctualy taboo in not only our society but in all recorded human society because of the genetic problems it causes but it has grown from a genetic imperative to mate outside your family tree to being a taboo because genetic imperatives play very little role in modern society.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I think its intuitively even instinctualy taboo in not only our society but in all recorded human society because of the genetic problems it causes but it has grown from a genetic imperative to mate outside your family tree to being a taboo because genetic imperatives play very little role in modern society.

Given how many cultures historically promoted incest, I think it's fairly obvious that is it completely NOT instinctive in the slightest. Maybe you should actually read some history books before you claim to know what's in "all recorded human society." In particular, check out Egyptian royalty. And also read this thread since, as people have pointed out over and over again, the risks of inbreeding are really overplayed in popular consciousness.

As for having victims, well, it really depends on the situation. You'll find the theme of incest running rampant in a lot of popular culture beyond anime these days but in a non-fictional reality it's hard to really make a call because of all the other issues involved (mainly surrounding the issue of consent, especially as the relationship continues since it's difficult to do something like break up with your brother).
Josh the Zombie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I concur with marie-antoinette. Smart post.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Given how many cultures historically promoted incest, I think it's fairly obvious that is it completely NOT instinctive in the slightest.
I wonder about that reasoning. Surely something doesn't need to be universally observed to be based in common instincts. Maybe the snobbery of an elite can be so strong that it even trumps an instinct, though the instinct is manifested in the overwhelming majority of societies.
Maybe.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

Given how many cultures historically promoted incest, I think it's fairly obvious that is it completely NOT instinctive in the slightest. Maybe you should actually read some history books before you claim to know what's in "all recorded human society." In particular, check out Egyptian royalty. And also read this thread since, as people have pointed out over and over again, the risks of inbreeding are really overplayed in popular consciousness.

As for having victims, well, it really depends on the situation. You'll find the theme of incest running rampant in a lot of popular culture beyond anime these days but in a non-fictional reality it's hard to really make a call because of all the other issues involved (mainly surrounding the issue of consent, especially as the relationship continues since it's difficult to do something like break up with your brother).

only societies to ever promote it were sub cultures and landed elite even still that would be a cousin at the closest and back then people didn't understand the genetic implications. If you can think of any society where incest was acceptable please because i can't think of one. Even among royalty in england, some of the most notorious promoters of incest, would frown upon the brother sister complex the Japanese seem to be fascinated with
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
@Dorcas_Aurelia

I spent too much time rewriting what I meant to say, that I ended up leaving out the part where I meant to ask what logical reasons there are that incest is bad. Saying something is bad because that's the way we've always treated it isn't sound. People think it's taboo because society tells them it's taboo. Society tells people it's taboo because someone thinks it is taboo. Rather a circular argument. I'm just trying to get to the point where we look at something deeper than a gut reaction.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
poilk92 wrote:
@Dorcas_Aurelia

I spent too much time rewriting what I meant to say, that I ended up leaving out the part where I meant to ask what logical reasons there are that incest is bad. Saying something is bad because that's the way we've always treated it isn't sound. People think it's taboo because society tells them it's taboo. Society tells people it's taboo because someone thinks it is taboo. Rather a circular argument. I'm just trying to get to the point where we look at something deeper than a gut reaction.

i think the negatives of incest are very well documented its not just a gag reflex issue. But if you want specifics there are 3 schools of thought on the subject

one says in societies where incest was common the negative genetic effects (such as more prevalent genetic diseases and cases of retardation) made anti-incest societies grow more successful

then there is the psychological school of thought popularized by Freud. He claims that the desire to commit sexual acts with family members is so common but so repressed that the mere thought of incest is repugnant to us.

the third and probably most likely explanation is that back in the good old days marrying off daughters was a key part of society having a brother and sister marry would net the family no increase of influence or wealth. This practice led to the nuclear family which modern society feels is completely necessary for our civilized way of life to continue and incest is a perceived threat to that life style

But almost all cases of incest are cases of sexual abuse so many people equate incest to sexual abuse which may not be so far from the truth

Last edited by poilk92 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh the Zombie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
You can stop pushing your morality on others. Thanks. And yes, I don't want it. Just because something is true for you does not make it true for others. Just because something does or does not work for you does not mean it will work or not work for others. What is right for you is not necessarily right for me. And yes, I took that from Bruce Lee.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
only societies to ever promote it were sub cultures and landed elite even still that would be a cousin at the closest.

Sorry but that is grossly misinformed. The ancient egyptions believed that inbreeding genetically strengthened their lines (Probably their biggest f*ck up tbh) It was not uncommon for parents to marry their children or siblings to marry. It was pretty much the reason that tutenkhamun died at such a young age. It was pretty much the reason the egyptian emprire fell into decay is that it's royalty inbred themselves into extinction.

I remember reading that the chinese creator gods Nu Wa and Fu Xi where also married siblings. There was also quite a bit of incest in the japanese pantheon and I think Izanagi and Izanami may have been brother and sister. Not sure on that one.

Incest shows up in almost any decadent culture's aristocracy. We have come to realise that it is a dilaterious process in recent years but the statement that it has always been abhorred is not correct .. at all.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:
only societies to ever promote it were sub cultures and landed elite even still that would be a cousin at the closest.

Sorry but that is grossly misinformed. The ancient egyptions believed that inbreeding genetically strengthened their lines (Probably their biggest f*ck up tbh) It was not uncommon for parents to marry their children or siblings to marry. It was pretty much the reason that tutenkhamun died at such a young age. It was pretty much the reason the egyptian emprire fell into decay is that it's royalty inbred themselves into extinction.

I remember reading that the chinese creator gods Nu Wa and Fu Xi where also married siblings. There was also quite a bit of incest in the japanese pantheon and I think Izanagi and Izanami may have been brother and sister. Not sure on that one.

Incest shows up in almost any decadent culture's aristocracy. We have come to realise that it is a dilaterious process in recent years but the statement that it has always been abhorred is not correct .. at all.

sorry but these are examples of royalty and landed elite. exactly where i said you would find it
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
So the deities an entire culture worships count as "landed elite" to you? True I did not mention that Osiris and Isis where brother and sister but I thaught that to be fairly common knowledge. Not only that but there is quite alot of genetic evidence that incest has gone on in rural communities more or less steadily for the entirety of human history. There is no real evidence of incest being abhorred until after it was figured out that it caused genetic damadge. It wasn't often lauded or anything. But it wasn't considered sickening. Hell even in the bible who do you think Adam & Eve's children married? I seriosly doubt that incest would have played such a large part in so many creation myths had it been instinctively reviled.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
So the deities an entire culture worships count as "landed elite" to you? True I did not mention that Osiris and Isis where brother and sister but I thaught that to be fairly common knowledge. Not only that but there is quite alot of genetic evidence that incest has gone on in rural communities more or less steadily for the entirety of human history. There is no real evidence of incest being abhorred until after it was figured out that it caused genetic damadge. It wasn't often lauded or anything. But it wasn't considered sickening. Hell even in the bible who do you think Adam & Eve's children married? I seriosly doubt that incest would have played such a large part in so many creation myths had it been instinctively reviled.

oh yeah what gods do in a culture totally reflects day to day life just like how the greeks threw lightning bolts at each-other! And incest was outlawed in many western cultures before they even knew what DNA was im sorry but you are making unfounded statements. Im guilty of the same thing at times but come on this stuff isnt even close to true
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
incest was outlawed in many western cultures before they even knew what DNA was

Dude you don't have to know why something is bad to know it is bad. The date they discovered DNA is totally irrelevant. Also "many western cultures" is about 30 - 40% of the planets population at best guess.

Quote:
oh yeah what gods do in a culture totally reflects day to day life just like how the greeks threw lightning bolts at each-other!

I never made that claim. I made the claim that it reflects their Ideals.

And you have totally ignored my point that it happens in isolated ill eductated areas even to this day. Almost proving that the revulsion associated with incest is something educated by parents and society and not something instinctual

It's pointless continuing this argument any further tho. It will just be head bashing.

Last edited by RHachicho on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:

then there is the psychological school of thought popularized by Freud. He claims that the desire to commit sexual acts with family members is so common but so repressed that the mere thought of incest is repugnant to us.

Freud's ideas are not the definitive word on the subject.

Quote:
the third and probably most likely explanation is that back in the good old days marrying off daughters was a key part of society having a brother and sister marry would net the family no increase of influence or wealth. This practice led to the nuclear family which modern society feels is completely necessary for our civilized way of life to continue and incest is a perceived threat to that life style

So, a social system that is increasingly irrelevant to modern life is what you propose is the most likely cause of this taboo, and modern society clings to it because nuclear families are a rapidly decreasing minority?

Quote:
But almost all cases of incest are cases of sexual abuse so many people equate incest to sexual abuse which may not be so far from the truth

Almost all cases of incest you hear of are cases of sexual abuse, but incest itself isn't sexual abuse. I see them as two separate things with an unfortunately high overlap.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:
incest was outlawed in many western cultures before they even knew what DNA was

Dude you don't have to know why something is bad to know it is bad. The date they discovered DNA is totally irrelevant. Also "many western cultures" is about 30 - 40% of the planets population at best guess.

Quote:
oh yeah what gods do in a culture totally reflects day to day life just like how the greeks threw lightning bolts at each-other!

I never made that claim. I made the claim that it reflects their Ideals.

And you have totally ignored my point that it happens in isolated ill eductated areas even to this day. Almost proving that the revulsion associated with incest is something educated by parents and society and not something instinctual.

first of all it is a long standing but unfounded stereotype that less educated people are incestuous. It started because white southerners who were landed elites wanted to hold on to their property so they would be incestuous now that stigma has passed down through the ages. Though it is more common among isolated people mainly because there are not to many families to chose from. And mythology reflecting a cultures ideals may be true but you cant make that claim for anything as specific as incest that would be like saying that Christians support torture as criminal punishment. And the only reason i only included the west is because thats the only culture i am sure that incest has been frowned upon and made illegal before the genetic effects were ever discovered because i don't like making unfounded claims! Though that doesn't mean the rest of the world was having incest parties all the time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6