• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Plans More Lupin III Releases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we might finally get "Legend of the Gold of Babylon"?
xScar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Does this mean we might finally get "Legend of the Gold of Babylon"?

I would suppose so since they included "movies" and not just "specials" in that statement. It would be weird if they only grabbed FUNi's dead movies :\

Hope that "movies and specials" also includes the OVAs though too, specifically since Red vs Green is an OVA...

I will buy every release, Discotek, so keep 'em coming.
RTL3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Damn, it is a good time to be a Lupin III fan.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
I hope they get Secret of Mamo and include all FOUR English dubs! THAT would be an interesting release (in addition to being my fave Lupin movie).

The second TV series would be nice too of course. Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I hope they get Secret of Mamo and include all FOUR English dubs! THAT would be an interesting release (in addition to being my fave Lupin movie).

I'm sure that we'd all be grateful to democracy if it did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
RTL3 wrote:
Damn, it is a good time to be a Lupin III fan.

Just hope that the license is cheap enough and that sales support continuing the release of the TV shows and movies that never made it over in North America.

Past anime releases of Lupin III were discontinued because the DVD sales were abyssmal! There are die-hard Monkey Punch fans in the States but they don't have much of a sales presence and most anime fans have not been open enough to at least sit down and watch 5 minutes of a GOOD Lupin III movie or TV episode. The consistency of what I've seen in the Lupin III movies and Tv shows is much better than most of the junk anime that's licensed today.

The anime audience in the US is relentlessly anti-retro. The bulk of fans will NOT see anything made before the last 5 years unless it's Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki and even then you have a large number of fans who claim to be anime fans who only watch the Shonen Jump series on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and NickToons!
(It's like claiming to be a movie fan but you only watch car chase movies or Van Damme action flicks... Look, I don't care if you like DBZ or Bleach but if that's all you watch and you think you know everything there is to know about anime...!)

I collected as much, if not all, the Geneon (pretty sure Geneon released "Secret of Mamo") and Funimation releases before they went out-of-print. I wish I had gotten Babylon: City of Gold but Animeigo never got around to a DVD release! That film was subbed on VHS and laserdisc only. It's been said by people who have seen most of Lupin III anime to be one of the weaker Lupin III efforts and one of the cheapest-looking of the movies, too.
RTL3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
I am very glad i picked up the Funimation releases of the specials. I hope it finds a proper niche. Discotek must have made enough money from the previous releases to continue... I hope...

Fingers crossed for the second series!
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Excellent news! Hopefully some of the specials that never made it to R1 DVD are among the proposed releases. I'd imagine "Bye-Bye Liberty Crisis" in particular would be shoe-in at some point since it has a little-known Manga UK dub they could include.

Plus, given that the upcoming Lupin '71 set is specifically stated on the packaging to be the "Complete First Series", I'd suspect that sets of Lupin '77 may also follow. It may be a much longer series at 155 episodes, but half of those episodes were fully dubbed and subtitled by the late Geneon, and before that, even Streamline dubbed the two Miyazaki episodes.

Also, if rumors are to be believed, there may be more episodes that were dubbed too - although to date this has never actually been definitively proven.

Official English subs from TMS also exist for the remainder of the second series as per the recent broadcasts, but these may need some further proofing since those episodes apparently had various edits.

So any way of looking at it, there shouldn't be too much work to put out all 155 episodes, and with over half of them already having dubs, this can only increase the series' marketability.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
More of Lupin and the gang is always welcomed, I hope that fans will support Lupin's releases so that we can have more releases in the future.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
I hope they get The Hemingway Papers, Alcatraz Connection, and Operation: Return the Treasure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Official English subs from TMS also exist for the remainder of the second series as per the recent broadcasts, but these may need some further proofing since those episodes apparently had various edits.

They would most likely use those subs but get Reed Nelson to fix any mistakes like with the first series.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
RTL3 wrote:
I am very glad i picked up the Funimation releases of the specials. I hope it finds a proper niche. Discotek must have made enough money from the previous releases to continue... I hope...

Fingers crossed for the second series!

Believe me,

In spite of the somewhat negative yet realistic tone of my post, I hope so, too!

Lupin III (2nd TV series) was among the best shows that was broadcast on Cartoon Network. Way, way better than any of the Shonen Jump series (I can't stand Bleach or Naruto), far more tolerable to me than Inu Yasha (how long can Takahashi crank out the same romance story????), and intelligent to boot, too.

Sure, the dub put off some people and there were edits for cultural reasons but overall I don't think the Geneon effort was bad. They just didn't reach a big enough audience and the series release came in the middle of the contraction of the US anime market. There were far worse Geneon releases and too many harem shows during that era, too.

Nobody should expect anything to ever go back to 2003, period. Digital distribution changed everything and frankly the rabid re-release of the same crap and current practices on episodic re-airing of decade+-old shows on CN and NickToons (Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, etc.) hasn't helped, either.

I am glad to see that DiscoTek is taking up the challenge of a retro-series release. If anything warrants this, it's definitely Lupin III.
ZeroFlame16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Is it likely to be a new dub or the gencon dub? I really like their dub, with Tony Oliver and Michelle Ruff. Still this is good news so I probably wont have to spend $18 for each of the gencon dvds.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of fond of the Phuuz dub, despite it's constant modern references. Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Lex Lang, Michelle Ruff, and Jake Martin all did a fine job. It was a lot better than Funimation's cast.

I wouldn't count on Discotek springing for an English dub that isn't already made, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeroFlame16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
How is Discotek's dubs? Pretty good?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2