• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 2 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
My copy is waiting for me at my office... can't wait to get to work in the morning.

Review wrote:
it wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful a story without having all those pieces fall into place exactly as they do, and it's a real testament to the quality of this show's writing.

One thing that impressed me about this set of episodes is just how deliberate the script is. Not a single conversation is throw-away. I mean, this applies to the whole show (yes, even episode one!), but in this set of episodes as the pace slows a bit and the tension starts to rise, you really start to see that here in both the character and plot development, especially in hindsight.

Also, yes, the silhouette battle is fantastic in this (touched up BD/DVD) version of the show; actually, both it and the other major fight in this volume were much improved over their TV version counterparts.

Animerican14 wrote:
Wow, I think this might've been my first time seeing an explicit spoiler warning like that in a review here on ANN...

Due to the rate of important developments and twists occurring throughout the show (rather than just having important stuff at the end and/or having inconsequential developments serve to carry the bulk of the story) it's difficult to balance talking about PMMM without spoiling stuff while also not being too vague. Handled the spoilers well, I think; that part of the show is really hard to ignore when reviewing as it's one of the most important things in this set of episodes, but it definitely is a spoiler with greater weight than most spoilers you usually see in reviews here.

Quote:
Wait wait wait...

Animation got a B?

Oh boy, here we go again...
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, if Zac can gush that hard over Madoka-it must be good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant review. I might consider re-watching the series again soon or the dubbed version in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
What really kills me... When the third volume will be in transit for delivery to me, I'll be on a plane flying to another continent for almost 3 weeks. Sigh...
_Archer_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
These four episodes were the only parts of this anime that I didn't like, and after reading your spoiler section, I'm upset that I now dislike Sayaka's character's even more than before...
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Connect is probably the cynical song (sounds cute but if the lyrics are seen....)

Quote:

Every time I stop and stumble
in doubt and darkness
I close my eyes and think back to you.

We made a vow, a promise,
To carry onward,
I'll see it through.
When I was young, the sky shone clear and bright and blue,
And I smiled through every day, knowing that all my dreams would come true.

Now that I've grown, that sky fades dark and disappears
And the future I once dreamed dissolves
before my doubts and fears.

Then you came to me,
Took me by the hand,
And the strength you shared helped me to rise and stand.
Let the clocks tick by,
Let the days fade away,
'Cause I've found the path my heart will
walk today.

Now my heart's alive, and racing
Towards the future,
There's no doubt that
Could dare hold me back.

I'm gonna fly on forward into that blue sky, bound-less and bright.

I still pray and hope
That one day we'll be together
I'll fight onward
And see you again, my friend.

I won't stop until the end,
I won't give in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAb2c7Z-Sk

There'll be no need to complain about the price ($75 for limited editions, $30-$40), it'll be like that (always)... and $150 for both.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This review nails it, exposing the true nature of the series and tackling the difficult themes expressed.

Quote:
spoiler[Sayaka herself winds up being the biggest clue we have about which side of this philosophical argument the screenwriters fall on. Her tragedy is front-and-center in these episodes, and it's a powerful and fascinating piece of writing. There's a fairly big revelation about Kyubey's contract that comes about halfway through episode 6, one that sets the tone for the rest of the disc; in exchange for her wish and her status as a magical girl, Sayaka has lost her humanity. Kyubey, in typical fashion, explains this away as ruthless efficiency – separating the soul from the body is simply a way to minimize the damage to your true self in combat, and can even help you ignore the pain completely. The body is merely a vulnerable vessel – why should it matter where your soul is? It's a total existential crisis, however, and it means that Sayaka is no longer human – the one thing she sacrificed everything for, love, is totally out of her grasp now. The screenwriters don't stop there, either – the character is punished for her decision. She is literally wasting away, harboring a tainted soul, neither living nor dead but on the verge of total collapse. Sayaka's despair is so effectively portrayed it's almost tough to watch. Seeing her break down emotionally as a result of having her soul torn from its host really brings home the impact of the situation – it wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful a story without having all those pieces fall into place exactly as they do, and it's a real testament to the quality of this show's writing.]

And all this, so much. This part of the review shows EXACTLY why Sayaka is my most favourite character. Her humanity was lost, thus her ideals were torn apart. In the end, she was no different than Kyoko - she had a selfish desire hidden beneath all that heroic pride. And she suffered because of it.

In some ways I can relate to Sayaka. Because she's in so much pain, it makes me wish I could just hug her.

Last edited by KentaMaeba on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
You know, if Zac tagged that particular section of the review as a spoiler, don't you think it's not exactly right to just quote the whole thing? Perhaps adding spoiler tags would be appropriate.

These reviews just make me want to break my vow of watching my backlog as I had bought it and skip right to my Madoka BDs. It just reminds me more and more why I loved this show. The great thing is, the more time that passes, the more appreciation I'll develop for this, so when I do watch it again, it'll be almost like the first time.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
To those of you saying that Episode 10 is amazing, I hope you're right. Episode 9 was a large dissappointment, as it seemed like Gen was pulling stuff out of his ass just to screw with the viewer.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Wait wait wait...

Animation got a B?

I assume this is because it's TV quality animation.

ANN should really consider separate scores for animation quality and art direction.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Wait wait wait...

Animation got a B?

I assume this is because it's TV quality animation.

ANN should really consider separate scores for animation quality and art direction.

Psssst...

Zac Bertschy wrote:
Animation : B
Art : A

Of course, people have been neglecting to distinguish art quality from animation quality for years, so in a way, it's a lost cause. On top of that, I think when it comes to letter grades, people don't want more detailed information, they want a clean sweep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree with pretty much everything Zac is saying in his review. This show really made me think differently about what could be done with a magical girl show. I really loved how Kyubey is played in the show. It's just perfect. He's a total subversion of the usual magical girl mascot. The drama and dark themes are great.

However...

As I said in another thread, the ending of the show just did not "stick the landing" for me. Perhaps Zac will comment on that when he gets through episode 12. It was just a little bit of a let down for me, they seemed like everything was building in the right direction, innovating everything we know about magical girl shows, and then... ugh... I still loved the show but it lost some of its luster.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said in another thread, the ending of the show just did not "stick the landing" for me. Perhaps Zac will comment on that when he gets through episode 12. It was just a little bit of a let down for me, they seemed like everything was building in the right direction, innovating everything we know about magical girl shows, and then... ugh... I still loved the show but it lost some of its luster.

It's all a matter of perspective. Some say the ending was perfect - some say it was horrible.

Me? http://imperialx.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/madoka-doesnt-need-a-sequel-to-explain-itself/

The ending didn't leave anything unanswered. It was great.

Sailor S wrote:
You know, if Zac tagged that particular section of the review as a spoiler, don't you think it's not exactly right to just quote the whole thing? Perhaps adding spoiler tags would be appropriate.

Oops, forgot about that. Edited.

Last edited by KentaMaeba on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I asked Urobuchi if he hates Mami and Sayaka so much Anime hyper
Ans: Characters shine best when they are about to expire.

EDIT: And in the end... Madoka will have a sequel (and a remake).
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
And after such a cliffhanger where Kyubey reveals the identity of the witches (among other things being revealed),

It struck me as rather odd how much weight was given to that "reveal" at the end of episode 8. Mostly because somewhere in the back of my head, I remembered it all but being said very early on.

On the plus-side, at least it will soon all be out there, and no more worrying about spoilers... including the dreaded "it bends all the genres" (so you know to expect the opposite of normal) and such-n-such character is evil (so you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25