• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'More Ent. Acknowledges Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo Packaging Error

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
I'm now wishing Discotek just picked this up. I mean they now have all 3 movies and Captain Harlock. WHY OH WHY didn't they just pick up GE999 TV. SERIOUSLY!?!?

Their reason is right here.

Quote:
Quote:
Since you did such an awesome job releasing the Galaxy Express movies, any chance we'll see more Leiji Matsumoto stuff, like Captain Harlock or even possibly the whole 113 episode Galaxy Express 999 series?
We wanted to do the GE 999 series, but we were in the middle of the FOTNS and didn't want to take on another 100+ episode series at that time. Fist was a huge undertaking. There will be other classic series announced later this year.

and here.

Quote:
We're kind of bummed that we had to pass on GE 999 TV. Toei asked us if we wanted it but we had to decline at the time due to the amount of episodes. We decided to go with shorter series and more movies instead. Those 100+ series are very expensive to produce and release.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Given their lazy ways, I'd take the over on GE999' subs being hard coded.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
If they have a tiny pocketbook and didn't realize that omitting subtitles would be a rather grave faux pas in anime, they might have thought that it was an acceptable way to save money. .

It's not just a faux pas in anime. Any DVD/BD release targeted at an english speaking audience will include subtitles of some sort for a foreign audio track. This Bobobo release is unprecedented. Even those bargain-bin 5-in-1 kung fu DVD packs found in Wal-Mart will usually have subtitles with their asian-language audio tracks.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Argh!

I was so looking forward to it. I'm glad I didn't actually preorder, out of caution since I'd never heard of the company before. Good to take these precautions.

Screw this crap. I've never been one to stick with fansubs after the show is actually available legally, but I'm considering this to mean that no, the show is not actually available subbed.

It's also a shame; I was going to buy one for myself and one for my anime club, so that's two lost sales. If this company knows what's good for them, they should rerelease subbed....
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

I was about to ask who wanted to bet on the GE999's subs being hard subbed, lol.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
If they have a tiny pocketbook and didn't realize that omitting subtitles would be a rather grave faux pas in anime, they might have thought that it was an acceptable way to save money.

It's not just a faux pas in anime. Any DVD/BD release targeted at an english speaking audience will include subtitles of some sort for a foreign audio track. This Bobobo release is unprecedented. Even those bargain-bin 5-in-1 kung fu DVD packs found in Wal-Mart will usually have subtitles with their asian-language audio tracks.

Oh, I know. I guess that ironic understatement has an internet grave in the same row as sarcasm, perspective and a sense of proportion.

Or, I'm just bad at it. That's usually the correct explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
You know if they would just raise the MSRP to around what Discotek does for there collection releases like Fist of the North Star, we probably wouldn't be having this problem with the subtitles. The price they have does seem really low for a collection with almost 1000 minutes of entertainment. I would be willing to be a higher price if they would go back and fix the subtitles and maybe spread the episodes out over an extra disc or two.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

I was about to ask who wanted to bet on the GE999's subs being hard subbed, lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if what ends up being used on the DVDs is identical to what Toei initially gave Funimation to stream on their website.
HiroTsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm apt to believe this was an error and there's no lies going on or attempted deception. This is their first foray into dealing with an Anime property and we anime fans can be passionate people. Which is a great thing, and I've gotten up in arms about a lot of things in the past myself (Bandai Visual USA comes to mind). Still, I think they deserve a little slack.

This was posted by S'more Entertainment on their facebook wall months ago in reply to a question about the nature of the Bobobo boxset:

Quote:
S'more Entertainment LLC We're working with the elements provided to us by TOEI. Bobobo will offer Japanese language and dubbed English, 2 box sets, each containing 38 episodes. There will also be a ROM feature that contains the scripts for each episode (unless TOEI denies us).
January 23 at 11:22pm

From the comment, it seem pretty clear to me that the boxset wasn't going to have subtitles. Whoever runs the PR for their facebook was obviously in the know and there was some disconnect along the way since this is coming about 3 months before the release. It is unfortunate still for all the people who prefer subs or other issues like being deaf.

That being said, I had the boxset pre-ordered and I am still happy with it. Would I like it to have subs? Yes. But it is not a deal breaker for me. The video is uncut and the quality, to me, is much better than the Illumitoons release of episodes 1-8 sitting in my closet somewhere despite having 10 episodes per disc. Everyone has their own opinions with dubs and I tend to watch stuff subbed and save dubs for showing friends or if the series has a well made one. Personally, I feel like Bobobo had a great dub.

As for GE999, S'More has confirmed both in comments back in January and just recently that those boxsets will contain subtitles. I imagine it will be the same subs that have been used for the show being streamed online at Crunchyroll and other sites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

You both beat me too it. From what S'more's been saying, I wouldn't put it past them to release that series with hard subs...

There's one simple reason for all of this: S'more's a very cheap company and they don't know what the heck they're doing with anime.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
This is a new company by the guy who used to run Rhino Ent.

Yeah, that's the part of this that really makes me worried for Galaxy Express 999.

I still remember the appalling Transformers releases Rhino did a few years ago,

I remember, and I'm worried too. Since there is no dub track for GE99 TV, my money they will screw it up by releasing with burned-in subs.
EDIT: I guess I wasn't the only one to think this way.

Definitely will not preorder GE999 due to this and will wait for reviews.

My sympathies to Bobobo fans; this is twice they've been burned by DVD companies.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The Fandom Post has a blog on this, with a statement from S'More Entertainment:
http://www.fandompost.com/2012/04/12/smore-entertainment-address-bobobo-bo-bo-bobo-problem-galaxy-express-999-tv/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Oh, I know. I guess that ironic understatement has an internet grave in the same row as sarcasm, perspective and a sense of proportion.

Or, I'm just bad at it. That's usually the correct explanation.

There's no need to do that.

I wasn't meaning to correct you or single your post out. Just wanted to say just how unprecedented this is in the history of DVD releases. I really have never seen something this wacked before anywhere.

Honestly, I have less a problem with their packaging being misleading and more of a problem with the fact that they think releasing a Japanese audio track without subtitles somehow makes any sense, especially given who they're targeting. Putting the scripts on PDF just makes them look very D grade.
sdsichero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
HiroTsukasa wrote:
I'm apt to believe this was an error and there's no lies going on or attempted deception. This is their first foray into dealing with an Anime property and we anime fans can be passionate people. Which is a great thing, and I've gotten up in arms about a lot of things in the past myself (Bandai Visual USA comes to mind). Still, I think they deserve a little slack.

This was posted by S'more Entertainment on their facebook wall months ago in reply to a question about the nature of the Bobobo boxset:

Quote:
S'more Entertainment LLC We're working with the elements provided to us by TOEI. Bobobo will offer Japanese language and dubbed English, 2 box sets, each containing 38 episodes. There will also be a ROM feature that contains the scripts for each episode (unless TOEI denies us).
January 23 at 11:22pm

From the comment, it seem pretty clear to me that the boxset wasn't going to have subtitles. Whoever runs the PR for their facebook was obviously in the know and there was some disconnect along the way since this is coming about 3 months before the release. It is unfortunate still for all the people who prefer subs or other issues like being deaf.

That being said, I had the boxset pre-ordered and I am still happy with it. Would I like it to have subs? Yes. But it is not a deal breaker for me. The video is uncut and the quality, to me, is much better than the Illumitoons release of episodes 1-8 sitting in my closet somewhere despite having 10 episodes per disc. Everyone has their own opinions with dubs and I tend to watch stuff subbed and save dubs for showing friends or if the series has a well made one. Personally, I feel like Bobobo had a great dub.

It's a stupid, stupid, stupid error then. And false advertisement.

In every single listing I've seen for it, it's been listed as having an English subtitle track.

I was happy that they decided to release Bobobo and was suprised and impressed that they were going to put on a subtitle track (I thought it was going to be English dub only if ever). Though they are offering more than I expected with the Japanese language track, I can't help being very disappointed since their promise was not upheld with the subtitles.

*sigh*
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Just wanted to say just how unprecedented this is in the history of DVD releases. I really have never seen something this wacked before anywhere.

Oddly enough, it's not exactly unprecedented, although anyone would be forgiven for believing so.

The late CPM had a brief and bizarre dalliance with releasing bilingual DVDs with no subtitles; the last two parts of Urotsukidoji spring to mind. Needless to say, that didn't go down well that time either. I never thought I'd see the day that someone else dared to do the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4