• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO BD to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
unless other companies give Bandai some good money, there is no right to sell the right to anyone. Bandai can just release it themself.

I far as i know, nobody has the stream right to it either.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
unless other companies give Bandai some good money, there is no right to sell the right to anyone. Bandai can just release it themself.

For all we know, Bandai stonewalled those (they ceratinly had a good time making sure no one outside of Asia could watch Gundam AGE).

Bandai is not unknown for pure unabashed f**kery, they practically make a (not) killing doing it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

For all we know, Bandai stonewalled those (they ceratinly had a good time making sure no one outside of Asia could watch Gundam AGE).

Bandai is not unknown for pure unabashed f**kery, they practically make a (not) killing doing it.

The good thing is Gundam AGE failed, nobody cares if it's not coming to US. Eureka Seven is different, alot of people are waiting for this anime.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Yes, but that would mean change and that's downright blasphemy to the Japanese.

Because if you change something as minute as distribution to allow the those things to be easily accessed (though still too expensive), there's no telling what crazy nonsense could go down once the evils of change begin to seep in.

Could you live in a world where, 7-13 episodes of Eureka Seven AO are released for a price that wouldn't be laughed out of the TV section of Amazon? They certainly can't.

Oh boy, where to begin.

Anime has been release at a tiny fraction of the JP prices in R1 for years, so obviously its entirely possible that could happen, since it happens for lots of shows ALL THE TIME. And could very well still happen for Eureka Seven AO.

"Change is blashemous to the Japanese!" .... Except its (alleged) "change" that people are throwing a hissy fit over in this thread. And the R1 releases they've allowed have changed and gotten cheaper. And they're allowing more and more anime to be viewed legally in R1 at the same or close to the same time as it is in Japan. And the "change" I mentioned that prompted your bizarre, reality-detached reply? Oh yeah, they're already doing that with Gundam Age.

You know what else has changed? How rapidly many shows get announced for R1 licenses. People were going apeshit over not hearing from Aniplex USA immediately that there was going to be a cheap R1 release of KnK (and Fate/Zero). Then a year later they announce that they'll release a cheaper version of it. A year. That's on the quick end of what used to be normal.

And now people are bitching and moaning about how the mean R1 companies are screwing them out of a cheap R1 release, before the first episode even aired on TV! (Its now been maybe six hours, I think).

R1 fans demanded fast, cheap anime and they've been getting it. And now they think its their goddamn right to own the whole series for under $50. Not only do they have a right to stupidly cheap anime, those Japanese companies better announce their intent to do so the same day the first episode airs. Because its so mean of them to do the tiniest thing to benefit people that think JP releases are worth buying.

You don't have a right to anime at the stupidly cheap prices most R1 companies currently charge. And you sure as hell don't have a right to hear about it the moment the show starts airing.

And the more I read your comment about changing distribution, the more I realize how completely insane it is. You're actually saying that the "change" of making the JP discs available to R1 customers to get them to buy the JP priced discs.... will lead to them to the "evil change" of reducing the prices? First, that makes absolutely no goddamn sense. Second, that would mean Aniplex USA's Fate/Zero and KnK releases are actually a good thing (at least in the "cheap R1 anime" mindset).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
He gives great points. The casual fans opinion of anime in the R1 is so dumbed down from what it once was. Everyone is so focused on "cheap" that it is literally at the level of dirt. They want to consume every show imaginable instead of just the few that really won them over. So yeah everyone, go on and bash Bandai Visual. If you are complaining then those subtitles were most likely not put on there for you. They know you have zero intent on buying these discs. Also, zero evidence to support that it won't be licensed for a domestic release in the future.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't see any reason to despair about its odds of being licensed in R1 at this point.

Really? Shutting down their US branch and putting subs on the Japanese Blu-rays so people have to import if they want it doesn't tell you anything?

There are R1 companies other than Bandai Entertainment. Now maybe some other companies will pick up titles that otherwise would have gone to Bandai more or less by default. It's a little premature to be assuming that no one else can get things that Bandai Visual produces and owns the international rights for.

If they intended this (or Gundam Age) to be a replacement for the R1 release they would at least take the Gundam Unicorn/KnK/FateZero approach of releasing it at some R1 retailers.
Yes, but that would mean change and that's downright blasphemy to the Japanese.

Because if you change something as minute as distribution to allow the those things to be easily accessed (though still too expensive), there's no telling what crazy nonsense could go down once the evils of change begin to seep in.

Could you live in a world where, 7-13 episodes of Eureka Seven AO are released for a price that wouldn't be laughed out of the TV section of Amazon? They certainly can't.

If Japanese Anime companies released DVDs at "normal prices," there wouldn't be anymore Anime today.

Be thankful that there are enough Japanese otaku willing to pay inordinate prices for Anime. They're the ones actually keeping the industry alive right now.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

But we don't live in a world where they can be sustainably released at those prices, so imagining what it would be like if they could be is a bit of a wank.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Anime has been release at a tiny fraction of the JP prices in R1 for years, so obviously its entirely possible that could happen, since it happens for lots of shows ALL THE TIME. And could very well still happen for Eureka Seven AO.

And note the lack of a subtitle for the DVD, when the inclusion of the subtitle on the BD tells us that they will have a subtitle.

That suggests it would not be at all unlikely to have an export model English BD Limited Release for a price close enough to the Japanese price so that the much smaller savings in the reverse import price with shipping to Japan included, plus the modest delay between Japanese release and English Export release, discourages reverse import of the BD's ...

... and then a couple of year's later, a DVD release, at a price that would be "laughed out of the TV section on Amazon", but far more modest than the Limited Edition price.

The BD limited edition release would likely be supported by an international stream at least to North America.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
He gives great points. The casual fans opinion of anime in the R1 is so dumbed down from what it once was. Everyone is so focused on "cheap" that it is literally at the level of dirt. They want to consume every show imaginable instead of just the few that really won them over. So yeah everyone, go on and bash Bandai Visual. If you are complaining then those subtitles were most likely not put on there for you. They know you have zero intent on buying these discs. Also, zero evidence to support that it won't be licensed for a domestic release in the future.

The problem is the anime market operates as it's still in the VHS era back in the early days when one single VHS easily cost $60 - $100. This really has not changed and this was in the 70's.

I understand the market is hurting but maybe try something new if things have not worked. We all know that wont happen. So many things have changed and yet Japan is stuck on this old out dated model that does decent at best. I would not give them crap if they at least would attempt to try and do something new and maybe try not be money hording businessmen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad

Didn't BV confirm that the Z Gundam box coming on May 25th is to have English subtitles??

It only lists Japanese sub on their website. I hope that they will include English sub else why would Age and Seed have and Zeta doesn't Crying or Very sad

Hey man here's that article. It says that the Gundam movies coming out on the 25th are going to have the subs. The only ones listed for that day are the Zeta ones. Think it just might be unlisted on the specs?
LordByron227

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

The problem is the anime market operates as it's still in the VHS era back in the early days when one single VHS easily cost $60 - $100. This really has not changed and this was in the 70's.

I understand the market is hurting but maybe try something new if things have not worked. We all know that wont happen. So many things have changed and yet Japan is stuck on this old out dated model that does decent at best. I would not give them crap if they at least would attempt to try and do something new and maybe try not be money hording businessmen.

Except that if they switch from the old model, they litterally will have no opportunity to "change" and these "business" will hemmorage bucketloads of money. So much so, it might not even be profitable to make anime anymore. I mean we all know that the prices we pay for anime is essentially paying for the entire cost of localization w. profit margin. The Japanese have to essentially pay for the production of the entire show and them some.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Except that if they switch from the old model, they litterally will have no opportunity to "change" and these "business" will hemmorage bucketloads of money. So much so, it might not even be profitable to make anime anymore. I mean we all know that the prices we pay for anime is essentially paying for the entire cost of localization w. profit margin. The Japanese have to essentially pay for the production of the entire show and them some.

I think the maxim "If it isn't broken, don't fix it," works perfectly here.

Anime is currently operating under a sustainable model. Why take a massive risk and completely change it?

It just doesn't make sense to do so.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

The good thing is Gundam AGE failed, nobody cares if it's not coming to US. Eureka Seven is different, alot of people are waiting for this anime.

"Nobody" would imply there isn't a single individual which isn't interested in the series, which I know isn't the case, simply from observing discussions on the internet.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

Japan did tried something new, few companies tried to sell dvds for lower price. they found that don't increase sale to cover the lower price.

that's why aniplex try something new in US too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

"Nobody" would imply there isn't a single individual which isn't interested in the series, which I know isn't the case, simply from observing discussions on the internet.

"nobody" means very little interest. that mean there is little season to bring it to American. where do you observe that people want R1 release for AGE?

CR will probably stream it, you just have to wait.
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I shamefully admit that I haven't been keeping up with this new trend in anime distribution so I have to ask a couple of dumb questions here:

1. With the Fate/Zero box set they're releasing the "special edition" for around $500 (about $379 or so on Right Stuf). So does this mean there's going to be a more affordable "regular edition" released sometime in the future?

2. I understand that most of the news we're discussing now pertains to Blu-Ray releases. Will there be any DVD releases as well? If so what could be expected from them, price and content-wise?

3. Once either version is released will they be available on more accessible sites such as Amazon.com or would I have to purchase them through a Japanese site?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6