• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO BD to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The Tentacle wrote:

1. With the Fate/Zero box set they're releasing the "special edition" for around $500 (about $379 or so on Right Stuf). So does this mean there's going to be a more affordable "regular edition" released sometime in the future?

They haven't said anything about one, but there's no reason to think there won't be. You just might have to wait a few years.

Quote:
2. I understand that most of the news we're discussing now pertains to Blu-Ray releases. Will there be any DVD releases as well? If so what could be expected from them, price and content-wise?

Again, no way to know. Aniplex just announced last weekend that they will be releasing a cheaper DVD version of KnK, but they haven't said what the price will be or given any other indications of what the release will be like. It should be noted that Fate/Zero does not have a DVD release for consumers (the DVDs are rental only).

Quote:
3. Once either version is released will they be available on more accessible sites such as Amazon.com or would I have to purchase them through a Japanese site?

Fate/Zero, KnK, and Gundam Unicorn had English press releases and are/were available at TRSI or Amazon.com. Gundam Age and Dog Days had English subtitles on the disc but were not release in the U.S. in any way, so import websites were the only way to get them. So far, there's no indication Eureka Seven will be released here, so you'd have to order from the typical import sites. There are several sites that are English language friendly though.

Amazon.jp offers the essential parts of their site in English (there's a button in the upper right to switch to it) though you'd have to search for the items in Japanese (which you can copy and paste from the ANN page) or use links that are sometimes provided in forums like Aod/Mania or Fandom Post.

Amazon.jp has the best discounts, but there are other sites that are completely in English that can be used, with varying prices. HMV, CD Japan, AmiAmi and YesAsia are all options. You'll need to look at their prices and shipping options to see which one works best for you.
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Your timely assistance is most appreciated.

The whole line about having to think hard before I invest a small fortune in this series was utter BS. I'll be pre-ordering the first volume the moment that option becomes available. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before then.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad

Didn't BV confirm that the Z Gundam box coming on May 25th is to have English subtitles??

It only lists Japanese sub on their website. I hope that they will include English sub else why would Age and Seed have and Zeta doesn't Crying or Very sad

Hey man here's that article. It says that the Gundam movies coming out on the 25th are going to have the subs. The only ones listed for that day are the Zeta ones. Think it just might be unlisted on the specs?

These are the original 0079 DVDs, which were re-issued. Noting that they already included English sub for the previous release as well as the 20th anniversary release.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The Tentacle wrote:
I shamefully admit that I haven't been keeping up with this new trend in anime distribution so I have to ask a couple of dumb questions here:

1. With the Fate/Zero box set they're releasing the "special edition" for around $500 (about $379 or so on Right Stuf). So does this mean there's going to be a more affordable "regular edition" released sometime in the future?

Its too recent for a clear pattern to emerge. Two of the "English Direct Export" titles have just been announced to have less expensive DVD releases coming, but its by no mean clear if that will be universal or how expensive "less expensive" will turn out to be.

PMMM was released with a Limited Edition somewhere between Japanese and mainstream US pricing, a 4 episode volume, BD/DVD for $95, $75 at Rightstuf. That's $225 for a single broadcast season. It also has regular edition BD's for $40 ($50MSRP), and regular edition DVD's for $30 ($40MSRP), so either $90 or $120 regular edition.

Rightstuf says:
RightStuf wrote:
Due to licensing restrictions, this product can only be shipped to the United States and Canada.

Quote:
2. I understand that most of the news we're discussing now pertains to Blu-Ray releases. Will there be any DVD releases as well? If so what could be expected from them, price and content-wise?

Haven't yet seen the "English Direct Export" type released that have a regular edition BD announced yet. With Japan in the same BD region as the US, they might be more reluctant with BD's. Whether that means it won't happen, or just means it will be slower, your guess is likely better than mine.

Quote:
3. Once either version is released will they be available on more accessible sites such as Amazon.com or would I have to purchase them through a Japanese site?

Garden of Sinners was available through RightStuf ~ until it sold out, of course. The dedicated site idea seems to have bitten the dust along with Bandai Entertainment's R1 distribution operation.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This worry that Eureka Seven AO wont get licensed is misguided imo.
Bandai Entertainment would of course been a prime candidate to license the show but since their gone all is not lost.

The below link is the Bandai Visual Library. Go through the shows they were involded in the production with not just distrubution. You'll notice alot of shows that have been licensed and released by companies in the united states that were not Bandai Entertainment.

company#18

I dont think Bandai would deny an approach by Funimation for example. MOney is MOney and Buisness is Buisness. Eureka Seven is one of the more successful releases for Bandai Entertainment after Gundam Titles. Right up there with Cowboy Bebop,Code Geass etc

I'm 90% confident we will get a release sometime in mid 2013. From Funi or Sentai.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The Tentacle wrote:
Your timely assistance is most appreciated.

The whole line about having to think hard before I invest a small fortune in this series was utter BS. I'll be pre-ordering the first volume the moment that option becomes available. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before then.

Do it up. I'd recommend ordering them all at once. Shipping will run you ¥2000 for the initial item + ¥300 for each additional. Weee!

Majin Tenshi wrote:

These are the original 0079 DVDs, which were re-issued. Noting that they already included English sub for the previous release as well as the 20th anniversary release.

Oh DUH, it says it right there ahah Laughing Forgive me. Welp, crossing that off my GET list...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
I'm 90% confident we will get a release sometime in mid 2013. From Funi or Sentai.

Don't think so. Maybe late 2013, but 2014 is much more likely. The last volume (or at least, the ninth volume) is released in February 2013, there's no way we'd get it in the summer.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

If Japanese Anime companies released DVDs at "normal prices," there wouldn't be anymore Anime today.
Augment suicide in 3...2...1...

krystallinity wrote:

Be thankful that there are enough Japanese otaku willing to pay inordinate prices for Anime. They're the ones actually keeping the industry alive right now.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have argument suicide!
"Be thankful" is another way of saying "I have no faith in what I'm saying so I'll just throw my weight into forcing my argumentative opponent into pacifism with good manners and hope he goes away with his mean ideas about common frickin' sense"

But to be kind and give your stupid argument more airtime than it's worth;
Yeah, gotta love a system that refuses to innovate, just got to dig in and hope that 25 year old shut in from Osaka doesn't die of some heart condition or something least we go from 3000 sales to 2999 and thus utterly bugger up our financial plans.

The Japanese market is not one of winning or loosing, it's one of stagnation and just existing. If you want to just exist and pay though your nose to do so, that's your call.

Me, if you try to sell me anything more than 50$ a half season (cour) I'll just look right through you.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
"Change is blashemous to the Japanese!" .... Except its (alleged) "change" that people are throwing a hissy fit over in this thread. And the R1 releases they've allowed have changed and gotten cheaper. And they're allowing more and more anime to be viewed legally in R1 at the same or close to the same time as it is in Japan. And the "change" I mentioned that prompted your bizarre, reality-detached reply? Oh yeah, they're already doing that with Gundam Age. .
Slapping on a bunch of half arsed subbs onto a blu ray, making that the only way to own the show and expecting the R1 audience to jump through hoops to obtain a physical copy is not a change. That's just forcing the R1 industry to change so the japanese don't have to do anything and keep trying to sell to an ever dwindling number of Otaku that are slowly crawling towards their expiration date.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Be thankful that there are enough Japanese otaku willing to pay inordinate prices for Anime. They're the ones actually keeping the industry alive right now.

"Be thankful" is another way of saying "I have no faith in what I'm saying so I'll just throw my weight into forcing my argumentative opponent into pacifism with good manners and hope he goes away with his mean ideas about common frickin' sense"

Except the second part of the statement is certainly true. Without the Japanese otaku paying the inordinate prices for Anime, the industry would be much smaller today.

Conan-san wrote:
The Japanese market is not one of winning or loosing, it's one of stagnation and just existing. If you want to just exist and pay though your nose to do so, that's your call.

Notice that this is a faith-based argument. "It's one of stagnation and just existing" does not do anything to establish that there is the revenue just sitting out there, available to be tapped to replace the revenues from the current model ...
... but without faith in the existence of that big untapped supply of revenue out there, the direct opposite to "stagnation and survival" is actually "catastrophe and collapse".

Quote:
Me, if you try to sell me anything more than 50$ a half season (cour) I'll just look right through you.

That's true for the very large majority of Japanese as well. Indeed, the majority of Japanese don't watch anime at all. A minority watch on TV or rent or watch bootlegs. A very tiny minority collect discs. For a large portion of the market, that very tiny minority collecting discs are the source of the revenue that is the difference between "stagnation and survival" and "catastrophe and collapse".

If there were 50,000 North Americans willing to buy the typical mid-tier anime series at $50 per quarterly-season, then at 30% net revenue that would be $5m gross for a two quarterly series, or $1.5m net revenue. If the net revenue ended up being split 50:50 between licensor and licensee, that would be $750,000 in license income to Japan. Even for a $3m per quarterly-season series, there's 1/8 of your production cost covered from just one international market. Add that to a series just breaking even, and now its making a healthy profit of 12.5%.

If there are 5,000, scale that down by 1/10, trim the royalties available due to less competition for licenses, and there's 0.5% to 1% of your production cost covered from that one international market. Add that to a series just about breaking even, and basically its still just about breaking even.

So if the person with the behavior of "I'll pay $50 for a big share of the output each year, but not one penny more" has 49,999 people that behave the same way, that's a force to be reckoned with. If they have 4,999 people that behave the same way, its more like a little extra money, might as well take it if it doesn't interfere with the market that pays the bills and keeps the lights on.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Except the second part of the statement is certainly true. Without the Japanese otaku paying the inordinate prices for Anime, the industry would be much smaller today.

I legitimately wonder if publishing a lot of moe shit at the near exclusivity of almost anything worth a damn actively counts as "Surviving" but being told to be grateful for that is pretty freaking egregious.

agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Notice that this is a faith-based argument. "It's one of stagnation and just existing" does do anything to establish that there is the revenue just sitting out there, available to be tapped to replace the revenues from the current model ...
... but without faith in the existence of that big untapped supply of revenue out there, the direct opposite to "stagnation and survival" is actually "catastrophe and collapse".

So you're telling me that Japan exclusively consists of those 3000 otaku? That, at no point, if a show was available at a not silly rate someone wouldn't walk into ye olde HMV and think, "Hum, Wakfu (Being hypothetical here, humour me) I heard good things, let's try it!"?

It's simple, the "Untapped supply of revenue" is right there, they just don't want to sell their limbs to the mob to afford it.

And, yes, the opposite of "Stagnation and survival" can be "Catastrophe and collapse" (and in any other business that's always a threat, that's however, "Living" as a business) but it can also be "Glory and Fame" however, Stagnation will always be. Boring Stagnation, until the last otaku dies. And then so do they.

agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

That's true for the very large majority of Japanese as well. Indeed, the majority of Japanese don't watch anime at all. A minority watch on TV or rent or watch bootlegs. A very tiny minority collect discs. For a large portion of the market, that very tiny minority collecting discs are the source of the revenue that is the difference between "stagnation and survival" and "catastrophe and collapse".

If there were 50,000 North Americans willing to buy the typical mid-tier anime series at $50 per quarterly-season, then at 30% net revenue that would be $5m gross for a two quarterly series, or $1.5m net revenue. If the net revenue ended up being split 50:50 between licensor and licensee, that would be $750,000 in license income to Japan. Even for a $3m per quarterly-season series, there's 1/8 of your production cost covered from just one international market. Add that to a series just breaking even, and now its making a healthy profit of 12.5%.

If there are 5,000, scale that down by 1/10, trim the royalties available due to less competition for licenses, and there's 0.5% to 1% of your production cost covered from that one international market. Add that to a series just about breaking even, and basically its still just about breaking even.

So if the person with the behavior of "I'll pay $50 for a big share of the output each year, but not one penny more" has 49,999 people that behave the same way, that's a force to be reckoned with. If they have 4,999 people that behave the same way, its more like a little extra money, might as well take it if it doesn't interfere with the market that pays the bills and keeps the lights on.

So you're agreeing that by pricing things at the price they are, you are excluding potential revenue for a temporary security?

Also your argument reads as thus;
"Oh no, having X Thousand buying our things isn't working! I Know! Let's have X hundred buying our things instead and drive everyone else away by charging through the nose for it, that's going to work!"

That might "fly" in Japan (Because, remember "Change" is blasphemy) but I grantee you it would blow up as it did for Bandai Visual US if that became the ur model for physical anime distro in R1 and R2pal.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
Every time a discussion comes up and people whine about how the Japanese don't know what the fudge they're doing in their own market and charge up the ass for home media and when all otaku die anime sales will cease...please read Justin Sevakis's rather informative articles titled "The Anime Economy" here, here and here

Part 2 is the one that is the most relevant.

Conan-san wrote:

So you're telling me that Japan exclusively consists of those 3000 otaku? That, at no point, if a show was available at a not silly rate someone wouldn't walk into ye olde HMV and think, "Hum, Wakfu (Being hypothetical here, humour me) I heard good things, let's try it!"?

Considering in Japan you can watch anime on TV, what's the point of blind-buying? Anime is extremely niche in Japan outside of mainstream stuff that airs during dinner-time.

People buy what they like after watching it on TV. With your example, you'll probably get some stragglers, but nothing significant. It's like how a discounted first volume of a show sells really well and then sales just tail off until it hits some average.

Quote:

It's simple, the "Untapped supply of revenue" is right there, they just don't want to sell their limbs to the mob to afford it.

A cheaper release does not guarantee higher revenue since the market is pretty small to begin with. The only thing cheaper releases would help are C-D tier shows since one can technically buy more shows per season, but even that's not guaranteed.

The only time the market is probably going to collapse is when the super slow birth-rate in Japan finally catches up where there are less kids growing up to be "oktau" than older otaku leaving the fandom.

Quote:

Also your argument reads as thus;
"Oh no, having X Thousand buying our things isn't working! I Know! Let's have X hundred buying our things instead and drive everyone else away by charging through the nose for it, that's going to work!"

That might "fly" in Japan (Because, remember "Change" is blasphemy) but I grantee you it would blow up as it did for Bandai Visual US if that became the ur model for physical anime distro in R1 and R2pal.

Aniplex USA says hi! They're doing just fine, so far, at least on the surface, with their wackyily priced released and straight imports that sell really well.

As long a company brings over the right product and collectors or even non-collectors who deem a release worth the money once in a while continue to buy it then the company will do just fine. The company has succeeded in carving out a niche.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Aniplex can say what they please. Not unlike a child who plays chicken constantly, it will only take one mistake to turn them into a mess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Seriously, how many anime DVDs in the US actually reached 10,000 unit mark?

It used to be that NA anime franchise unit sales were in the tens thousands such that a franchise needed to sell 40k total units to be considered a hit. Laughing

agila61 wrote:
Indeed, the majority of Japanese don't watch anime at all. A minority watch on TV or rent or watch bootlegs. A very tiny minority collect discs. For a large portion of the market, that very tiny minority collecting discs are the source of the revenue that is the difference between "stagnation and survival" and "catastrophe and collapse".

Overall per capita, Japanese collect even less home videos than Americans do. Ya don't usually see a typical Japanese show off the video collection like a typical American often enough does. Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I legitimately wonder if publishing a lot of moe shit at the near exclusivity of almost anything worth a damn actively counts as "Surviving" but being told to be grateful for that is pretty freaking egregious.

In commercial entertainment, 90% of everything is crud, so expecting more than 5 "high quality" anime in a season of 50 altogether would be unrealistic. Complaining that the genre where you like much of the crud has been replaced by a genre where you don't like the crud is just a complaint that tastes change.

And cutting the season of 50 down to a season of 20 would not "make room" for more high quality series, it would just our hopes from a possible 5 high quality shows to a possible 2 high quality shows.

Quote:
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Notice that this is a faith-based argument. "It's one of stagnation and just existing" does do anything to establish that there is the revenue just sitting out there, available to be tapped to replace the revenues from the current model ...

So you're telling me that Japan exclusively consists of those 3000 otaku?

Reading is fundamental. No, of course not. If I was telling you that, I would have told you that, instead of telling you something quite different from that.

First, its not "3,000 otaku" alone. Even a $1m per quarterly broadcast season series requires gross sales of $1.8m if it is going to make back its production budget from otaku disc buyers alone, because Yen100 gross sales is only about Yen55 in net revenue. 3,000 otaku at a sale price of $500 per quarterly series is $1.5m, so "3,000 otaku" falls short for even a very low budget series. However, 3,000 otaku plus 100,000 general merchandise buyers at an average of $3 royalty income per buyer would do it, though. Or, indeed, 3,000 otaku plus a publisher putting in $500,000 in pursuit of higher serial and tankoubon sales, since manga is a mass market.

OTOH, 1m merchandise buyers at $1 license income per buyer plus $500,000 from a publisher looking for strong publication sales and $500,000 from sponsors looking for product placement tie-ins can cover the cost of a of a $2m/quarter series. The Tier-A high profile hits don't need the otaku to stay alive. But in an entertainment production field, only a minority of series can be high profile hits: you need to keep generating content in order for one of them to occasionally become a big hit.

Quote:
That, at no point, if a show was available at a not silly rate someone wouldn't walk into ye olde HMV and think, "Hum, Wakfu (Being hypothetical here, humour me) I heard good things, let's try it!"?

Certainly some would. But obviously not enough to make back the lost revenue from the otaku by selling it at a mass market media price.

Indeed, we know that the size of the possible impulse buy to own market has dwindled since the 90's, given the way that the rental market has dwindled since the 90's. Remember that these prices were not originally designed to get otaku to prop up the industry. They are a prices in a normal rental sales model, given that the large majority of VHS and then DVD viewers were watching rental tapes and then rental discs. Just like the US in the early 80's. After all, $100 rental business cost for a disk that is viewed 40 times is a disc cost of $2.50 per view.

It wasn't otaku "propping up" the anime industry in the 90's, it was the existing ad revenue from television ratings receiving a massive boost from the rental market as people turned to less expensive entertainment options during that period of a stagnant economy. The otaku market was growing during that period, but when the the rental and TV advertising income streams subsided, the otaku revenue streams did not.

At the same time that the rental and TV advertising revenue streams were subsiding, the North American anime book injected a supplement to declining traditional domestic revenue sources, but as we know, that North American anime boom also started receding a bit over half a decade ago.

Conan-san wrote:
Aniplex can say what they please. Not unlike a child who plays chicken constantly, it will only take one mistake to turn them into a mess.

That would be a business flirting on the edge. With Aniplex consistently selling out their releases, "one mistake" is something they'll be able to ride out quite comfortably.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Not every season will have a Fate/Zero for Aniplex to sponge another 500$ off of a few suckers.

Their luck is going to run out and then they'll be laughing on the other side of their faces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6