• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tsukihime 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:

Akibado requires you to personally request it, does it not? I'm sorta confused with the ordering system...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Piroshiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Extralife wrote:
...really? I wrote this review about a month ago, but I seem to remember her specifically mentioning the True Ancestors as her prey. Are the Dead Apostles maybe grouped with the TA's? If not, are you sure all of that is mentioned in the first volume? If my facts are wrong I'd like to see if it's possible to edit the review after the fact in some capacity.

Nope, she is after the Dead Apostles, as mentionned above - more specifically after Roa.

***Spoilers***

spoiler[she's already killed the True Ancestors. Not intentionally, either, seeing as she was meant to protect them and not kill them. Originally, she was some kind of living weapon created by the other True Ancestors to hunt down and kill the fallen True Ancestors, i.e. those who drank blood and went berserk (blood is some kind of drug to them), and the Dead Apostles they created. Then, Roa came in and made Arcueid to suck his blood in order to become a Dead Apostle himself. That caused her to go mad and kill all of the other True Ancestors. When she came back to her senses, she summoned the Brunestud Millenium Castle to chain herself in it, and now awakens only when Roa manifests himself, going back to sleep once she defeated his current form.]

If I remember well, most of it is explained in the first four or five episodes (except the Roa bit), while they're after Nrvnqsr Chaos, but I could be wrong about that...

On a different matter...
Zac wrote:

Couldn't the argument be made that "visual novel" is just another word for dating sim though? I mean, there's probably fewer choices in a "novel", but all you do in dating sims is watch dialog scroll while images fade in and out and eventually it lets you select "put it in". Sometimes there's a stupid arcade minigame or something, but that's it. Is there something I don't know?

...not really. Visual novels are just that, visual novels. Novels with pictures. You read text and make a few choices here and there in order to get a good ending. The story is already written, you only choose the path you take. Tsukihime, as it has been said, is a visual novel - and a pretty long one, too. Memories Off and Kanon would be two other popular examples. In sims, on the other hand, you must raise parameters, interact with the cast (call them, give gifts on birthdays), choose what to do with your time and answer correctly during dates. Tokimeki Memorial is probably the most well known in that genre.

[EDIT - Added spoiler tags. -C]

[EDIT #2 - Put the first part in the spoiler tag along with the rest. My apologies, I thought it was mentionned in the first four eps. -Piroshiki]

Last edited by Piroshiki on Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's correct. You need to personally request items because they don't actually carry any of the items themselves. They buy what you're looking for from sellers in Japan who wouldn't normally sell outside of Japan and then sell it to you (they add their own fees, of course). For those hard to get games, it's useful to check out Yahoo! Auctions - Japan for what you want so you have an idea where to get it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Piroshiki wrote:
Extralife wrote:
...really? I wrote this review about a month ago, but I seem to remember her specifically mentioning the True Ancestors as her prey. Are the Dead Apostles maybe grouped with the TA's? If not, are you sure all of that is mentioned in the first volume? If my facts are wrong I'd like to see if it's possible to edit the review after the fact in some capacity.

Nope, she's already killed the True Ancestors. Not intentionally, either, seeing as she was meant to protect them and not kill them. She is after the Dead Apostles, as mentionned above - more specifically after Roa.

Um, the fact that she's already killed the True Ancestors would also stray into spoiler territory since that is not mentioned anywhere in the first volume. (This is the first time I heard of it, and I watched the first volume three times.) In Episode 3, Aruceid lays out a good bit of what's going on to Shiki, including the whole True Ancestor/Dead Apostle thing, but conveniently hasn't mentioned that other bit as of the end of ep 4.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piroshiki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:15 am Reply with quote
Eep... Sorry about that, it's been quite a while since I watched the show >< I'll edit that...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
ultrabot wrote:
Rah-Rah wrote:
The anime left a lot of things out that makes it feel like something is missing.

which should have been incentive enough to make the series much longer; especially since theres just about no chance that the game will be translated.

And about the dub, does anyone besides me get slightly irked when japanese honorifics ("-sempai" for example) are brought into the english script? They're really not necessary are they?

Not at all, considering that Ciel was refered to as simply "sempai" for a majority of the series. They can have random bouts of Engrish, why can't we have random bouts of Japanese?

Since I've seen the entire series beforehand, I'm a little disspointed to see that Ciel is being played by Wendee Lee. If she was to have any part in Tsukihime, it probably would've been better to be Arcueid (R-kweed). I just don't see her as a nosey sempai spoiler[Who is now merely a pawn for the church]
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Couldn't the argument be made that "visual novel" is just another word for dating sim though?

No, because in a dating sim, there's "dating" elements, i.e. dating a girl, while a visual novel doesn't necessarily have to have any dating elements. Chun Soft's visual novel games are of the mystery genre, for instance. A visual novel is for the most part, a story told via scrolling text and pictures, sometimes with choose-your-own-adventure style elements.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:05 am Reply with quote
R-kweed?

I tend to pronounce it R-Koo-Ade.

(Don't bother posting any jokes about liquids.I've heard 'em.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2