• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Critics and Columnists Deserve Your Respect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I've noticed a really disturbing trend around here.

Every time a new column or article goes up - be it one of ANN's many digest review columns or a new review of a classic or upcoming show - it's met with disdain, nitpicking, harsh language and general nastiness in the forums.

Inevitably someone who disagrees with the review piles on to the forum and starts screaming about how the critic had no idea what he/she was talking about, how the review was "bad" or misinformed or poorly written or any number of nasty little jabs ANY professional writer would take great offense to. Why do they do this? Well, they disagree with the opinion offered in the review. That's it. There's frequently nothing wrong at all with the column or article, but the poster doesn't agree with the offered opinion. So they take it upon themselves to try and smear the critic and the quality of the review instead of simply stating that they disagree and then offering an opposing viewpoint.

I'm sick of this. I'm especially sick of people assuming that they could do a better job than ANN's columnists. Here are a few things about writing online that I think everyone should know before trying to tear apart Bamboo Dong for putting Saint Seiya volume 4 in "Rental Shelf" as opposed to "Buy It":

1. Writing online is hard work. It takes hours and hours of your time to compose something you think is suitable for mass consumption. The article then goes through a rigorous editing process and is sometimes sent back for rewrites if it isn't up to snuff. Short columns can take up to 2 hours to complete; long columns like "Shelf Life" and "Right Turn Only" take upwards of 6-8 hours to complete, and that isn't including the time required to actually watch or read all that media.

2. You need to come in to this with some considerable education and writing skill. People aren't just hired based on names pulled out of a hat. The ANN columnists were selected because of their writing skill, their anime expertise and their ability to turn in writing that's high enough in quality to be published on the internet's #1 anime web site. I guarantee you 99 percent of the people on this forum would attempt to do the job these people are doing and would fail. It isn't as easy as you think it is.

3. Writing online is thankless work and frequently (i'd say most of the time) is done without getting paid and without any form of compensation. Writers do it for the love of writing and out of their desire to entertain and inform YOU, the reader. That's it. They aren't getting anything else out of this, most of the time.

4. Even as a professional writer, having your work constantly slammed in forums takes a pretty serious toll on your morale and you eventually lose all desire to waste your time trying to inform or otherwise amuse a bunch of people who seem to hate everything you do.

My suggestion? The next time you have something to say about a review, think it through. If you have serious valid reasons why you think a review is technically flawed, bring those up but make sure you know what you're talking about first. If you disagree with the review, DO NOT ATTACK THE CRITIC. Come in and say "I disagree with this review because these facets of the series appealed to me"... you know, politeness? Manners? Common human decency?

And maybe a little respect for the people who work hard to keep this site running and constantly put out free content for you to read.

A review is not offering an opinion for you to either tear down or build up. It's someone's opinion offered in a thoughtful, amusing and educated fashion. The critic was chosen to review this title because he or she has some credentials beyond just being a fan. An appropriate respose from the reader is to respectfully disagree or agree, not to rant and rave about the unfairness of it all and how the critic must be a complete moron because Nurse Witch Komugi-chan is a masterpiece and how dare the critic disagree with that.

Get a grip. Show these people the respect they deserve. I'm not saying that you should avoid all criticism and should never offer up an opposing viewpoint, but for christ's sake, be nice about it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember ESPN's Dan Patrick saying that, "people never commend you on the good things you do, but they'll always remember the bad things," or something like that. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I'm not sure if this idea can be applied to anime reviews, but the point is I agree with you whole heartedly. It's really hard work and I have a lot of respect for the people who do this stuff.

I know *I* probably couldn't even match a fraction of how well these reviews are written, but I'm glad someone had the heart and dedication to go out of their way and do something they like for all of us. Anime cry

There's not much else I really want to say, except kudos to all of you writers, reviewers, editors, etc. out their in the Anime world (in particular, Mr. Beveridge at AoD, that's a LOT of stuff Wink).

While my post here may be short (and probably unsupportive), I just wanted you all to know that your efforts aren't going unnoticed or without praise. Smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with you Zac.

Anyone who hangs out in the ANN channel know how hard Liann and Bamboo work on their columns. They stay up for hours, just trying to get in it on time. Anyone who doesn't appreciate all their hard work should go off to another site before I happily b*tch them out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I respect a person's opinion, but when they praise certain titles beyond their actual value, it makes me question their motives. It's one thing to like something, but it's another to dislike something and still hype it. As for negative reviews, I only care if there's a lack of objectivity in them. Or if there's an imbalance in the sense that the review is actually more positive than the grade it receives.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not opposed to saying a review is wrong, but when people start saying "how dare you review this less than I would because you haven't seen the series get good" it starts getting really stupid. Like Zac said, be polite and try to come up with a more sensible argument than the reviewer needs to see/read more of the series.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and having written a couple columns/reviews for here myself, I can attest that it's hard work. It's funny how you think that 300 or 500 words doesn't seem like much, but 300 to 500 well-written, cogent and coherent words is fairly difficult. No way I could do what these folks do on more than a stand-in basis.

I think any site that has a forum or BBS is going to get it's share of flame posts whether it be ANN, Lambgoat.com or FoodNetwork.com. Give people a place to posit their opinion (well-informed or not), and they will certainly take that liberty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I respect a person's opinion, but when they praise certain titles beyond their actual value, it makes me question their motives. It's one thing to like something, but it's another to dislike something and still hype it. As for negative reviews, I only care if there's a lack of objectivity in them. Or if there's an imbalance in the sense that the review is actually more positive than the grade it receives.

(Disclaimer: throughout the course of this post, keep in mind that I am NOT, I repeat NOT refering to any particular recent review or column on ANN, including Sound Decision, RTO, Shelf Life, or Ms. Answerman. Those being refered to will remain completely anonymous and confidential.

[edit: The only exception is the last comment, which is directed towards certain messge board review critics who seem to whine too much.])

I basically agree with Gatsu. While most all reviews have a large amount of time and work put into them, just a few of them sometimes have me questioning the motives, viewpoints, and the actual time put into research.

Let's admit it. Even when though there are people who put hard research into their reviews or columns, some are flawed more than others. Some are flawed with less than honest intentions. But in general, these people put in a large amount of time and effort into their works. Even the dishonest reviews deserve some level of respect.

There is however, something to be said for constructive criticism. If you truely believe that something is wrong, please, don't be shy to state your opinion. But you'd better have solid material when you criticise. Above all, be MATURE AND RESPECTFUL when you state your opinions and criticism. Do NOT direct personal attacks at the writer. Do NOT do anything to start a "flame war". Put A LOT of thought into what you're saying before you say it. If you can truely read over what you've written, and believe that what you've written is constructive rather than whiny, then by all means, post it.

I may be repeating my self, but definently DO NOT MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS INSULTING THE WRITERS INTELLIGENCE OR PERSONALITY. Never use derogatory words or remarks directed towards a writer. Just don't do it. Even if the writer or another poster makes a direct attack towards your intelligence, do not return it with equal offense. This only starts flame wars, which 99.9% of the time, will be locked.

To sum it all up, be mature and respectful, be constructive, don't be whiny, disagree in a mature non-offending manner, and don't flame.

And yes. I realize I'm repeating points. But they are GOOD points, that people seem to forget too often.

Gee. I really suck at summarizing things.

...and heavens to Betsy children, a review or column which gives a B+ or "Rental Shelf" rating is NOTHING to complain about. Sheesh. 0_-;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I respect a person's opinion, but when they praise certain titles beyond their actual value, it makes me question their motives.

Beyond their actual value? But what if the reviewer happens to think that that show/series/manga/etc *has* that value? Then who's to say that they're only hyping the show, when they truly enjoy it?

Not that I'm trying to pick a fight with you. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were trying to say.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I respect a person's opinion, but when they praise certain titles beyond their actual value, it makes me question their motives.

Beyond their actual value? But what if the reviewer happens to think that that show/series/manga/etc *has* that value? Then who's to say that they're only hyping the show, when they truly enjoy it?

Not that I'm trying to pick a fight with you. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were trying to say.

I think he's trying to make the point that some reviews might border between "Honest Review" and "Personal Bias."

Example might be is that the reviewer (Not saying you or anyone else does it, lets be perfectly clear.) is in love with a specific genre, and will wantonly heap praise on a title that shouldn't get such praise (i.e. like praising those Cheap Serial Romance Novels against such Erotica by A..N. Roquelaure or Zane), while other titles that should get a nominal nod is given bad marks simply because it doesn't fit in with the reviewers personal preferences.

To put it bluntly, it's like me giving bad marks to any Shonen Jump Title simply because I hate Dragonball and One Piece because their pure BS, ergo all SJ titles suck (i.e. The Strawman Fallacy), yet give high marks to Negima and A.I. Love You because I like Harem-Type situations and just write up a "passable" review on most other books.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I think he's trying to make the point that some reviews might border between "Honest Review" and "Personal Bias."

Example might be is that the reviewer (Not saying you or anyone else does it, lets be perfectly clear.) is in love with a specific genre, and will wantonly heap praise on a title that shouldn't get such praise (i.e. like praising those Cheap Serial Romance Novels against such Erotica by A..N. Roquelaure or Zane), while other titles that should get a nominal nod is given bad marks simply because it doesn't fit in with the reviewers personal preferences.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks. Anime smile
Toboe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Since Sailor_Titan, everyone's favorite whiny fangirl who doesn't know what the hell reviews are supposed to be, obviously inspired this thread, I made this hilarious animated image macro to use anytime any wanker wants to come on and bitch about "OMG THIS REVIEW SUXXX".

Save it and use it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:

If the anime has that value to him/her, then the reviewer will mention it. If they give it superlatives which are just used to sugar-coat their actual opinions, then they're just hyping the anime.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this thread might encourage people to leave contructive feedback and not discourage feedback alltogether. We really value everyone's comments, be it positive or negative. But like the post states - we just ask for some legitimate backup to your reasons.

I've been thinking and I'm going to be really serious with this. I whole-heartedly encourage sailor_titan to submit a review. If they feel that ANN, or reviews in general, are taking a turn for the worse, I think that they deserve a chance for their "voice" to be heard.

So, sailor_titan, feel free to submit a review. The editors will look it over and see if it's postworthy.
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

A reviewer must be given more respect than that. It is a critic's job to discern quality (I have a lot of views on how to write a review/critique in various situations, but that's a blanket statement that works). Unless you, the reader, can discern a long pattern of poor judgement and bad writing, it's best to assume the reviewer knows what he/she is talking about. It'd be like me running into a Calc III class at my local University and calling the professer a loser because my basic algebra knowledge does not gell with what he is teaching. It's not constructive.

Basically, a reviewer that does what you are suggesting is not a reviewer at all. Give us the benefit of the doubt.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Extralife wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

A reviewer must be given more respect than that. It is a critic's job to discern quality (I have a lot of views on how to write a review/critique in various situations, but that's a blanket statement that works). Unless you, the reader, can discern a long pattern of poor judgement and bad writing, it's best to assume the reviewer knows what he/she is talking about. It'd be like me running into a Calc III class at my local University and calling the professer a loser because my basic algebra knowledge does not gell with what he is teaching. It's not constructive.

Basically, a reviewer that does what you are suggesting is not a reviewer at all. Give us the benefit of the doubt.

BOLD LETTERING is my edit. Get a grip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3