• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven: AO (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
At first, you find this story confusing. Then pointless. Then you almost understand some things about it. But, eventually, it still makes no sense.

Graphics, character design, colour palette are impeccable, cute voice for Ao are good parts of this show.
simmeh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Bit late to the party, but I finally watched the last two episodes the other night.

Now, I liked Eureka 7. I didn't think it was spectacular, but it was special. It was so emotionally pure and powerful that I could forgive the less-than-likable characters or the slow start or the lack of explanations for its own lore. A lot of things are deeply flawed but still loved by many because their strengths are so pronounced (see also: games by BioWare).

And this is why Astral Ocean is a disappointment. Eureka 7 was an emotional core with sci-fi elements stuck to it. AO is a pile of convoluted sci-fi elements that had an emotional core thrown at it with hopes that it would stick (spoilers: it didn't).

It also didn't help that a lot of the plot points seemed completely bloody irrelevant. Did we really need to do that whole thing with Elena and the pop-singer? What exactly was the point of Truth and Naru, beyond creating a lot of blinking-light eye-candy? Were we ever supposed to care about Okinawa's independence?

I would say, "nice try," but I can't even give it that much credit. It just felt like a generic mecha anime with some Eureka 7 imagery and themes tacked on to get more attention.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Loved it. But, at the same time, I can see why so many people hated it. It's a show for fans of a genre rather than a medium. If you don't come in already familiar with concepts like the multiverse, yeah, I can see it's hopeless. I would never, ever recommend this show to anyone but an experienced fan of sf in all media.

But as a fan of the genre, I have that rare warm fuzzy feeling of this was written specifically for me!!! Topping it off with episode titles referencing a classic show and a classic book was just making it obvious to everyone. (Yeah, I know there's an anime work called The Door Into Summer, but it's very clear they were thinking of Heinlein here.) This is a shoo-in for a Seiun nomination.

I also commend the makers of this show for not taking the easy route. They could have just done the usual thing and told basically the same story all over again. I wish studios were this brave more often.

And yeah, the ending all made sense to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
spoiler[ was the Eureka who went back to the Year 120XX timeline the one who gave birth to Ao (original timeline) or did she never come to Okinawa in the first place (corrected timeline)?]

spoiler[Two returns: One from the Gekkostate, when she was pregnant with Ao's sister and Renton was still working on the third Nirvash, after which she gets pregnant again and eventually winds up in Okinawa; and one from the big pile of Quartz after giving birth to Ao. So Renton only winds up missing two years of Eureka's life.]

Quote:
spoiler[Also, BIG plot hole, ref boards can't work without trapar, and he just jumped into a timeline with no trapar, yet he a few thousand feet in the air... splat?]

Who said spoiler[there's no trapar in the final version of Ao's world? We only see that the Iwato Coral doesn't exist. His comment that "I don't know how long my body will last" strongly implies that he didn't completely remove the Corals and knows it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
There is no trapar without the corals. The original "promised land" from the original series seemed to be portrayed as having a much higher trapar density than the original AO world on account of spoiler[ the entire "planet" was made of scub coral], so the coralation (hah) is obvious.

We have to assume there was trapar because Ao can see it, and spoiler[bailed out of the Nirvash into the air with a ref board, which seems kind of irresponsible seeing as how he had never used one before, and didn't have a parachute], but there is no reason that there would be.

Also, how did you come to that conclusion about the ending?
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
We have to assume there was trapar because Ao can see it, and spoiler[bailed out of the Nirvash into the air with a ref board, which seems kind of irresponsible seeing as how he had never used one before]

spoiler[Before that last scene, he's been wandering through time for anywhere from a few months to a few years from his point of view. I can't imagine him not trying out the board sometime during that period.]

Quote:

Which conclusion?
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the show would make more sense if you marathoned it, but watching it as a weekly serial was painful as hell.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Most shows do make more sense over a long term.

Watching One Piece from start to finish one week at a time would be...confusing. There's soooo much filler and irrelevant material even in the canon arcs that could have been trimmed. If anything the filler arcs had better pacing than the post-Alabasta arcs.

Starting somewhere around where they moved to widescreen format, the first 3 minutes of footage each episode has been recap. I would hate to have actually paid for the DVDs...

(I say this because I just started watching it a few months ago... I'm at the end of the Impel Down arc now... heheh)
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Banken wrote:
We have to assume there was trapar because Ao can see it, and spoiler[bailed out of the Nirvash into the air with a ref board, which seems kind of irresponsible seeing as how he had never used one before]

spoiler[Before that last scene, he's been wandering through time for anywhere from a few months to a few years from his point of view. I can't imagine him not trying out the board sometime during that period.]

Quote:

Which conclusion?

spoiler[ the conclusion that Eureka, in the end, did come to the old-new version of Okinawa and give birth to Ao, but did not spend 10 years trapped in the ether.]

FWIW, the original E7 didn't make a whole lot of sense the first time through either. Especially when you were watching parts of it raw or with inconsistent subs...

spoiler[
Also, I took it to mean he was sitting inside Nirvash the whole time. It didn't seem to suggest that he jumped from world to world like Renton did for two years.]
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Banken wrote:

Which conclusion?

spoiler[ the conclusion that Eureka, in the end, did come to the old-new version of Okinawa and give birth to Ao, but did not spend 10 years trapped in the ether.]

As reiterated in the conversation between spoiler[Ao, Ivica, and Renton, she wound up wandering aimlessly when she took the big pile of Quartz away. But after having that conversation, Ao intercepted her before she left with the Quartz, vacuumed it up into the Quartz Gun instead, and let her return directly to her own universe.

After that, he alters the timeline once more, but since the Quartz Gun does one modification per firing, and we saw that the last modification was the removal of the Coral that originally infected Naru and Truth, and that Coral didn't have any causal linkage to Eureka arriving at Iwato, she still arrived there and Ao still lived there up to age 12 (although a lot of the specifics will be different, especially since Naru was never ill). It doesn't even affect his ability to be a pilot, since that comes from him being a Coralian hybrid rather than growing up near a Coral.]

Quote:
FWIW, the original E7 didn't make a whole lot of sense the first time through either. Especially when you were watching parts of it raw or with inconsistent subs...

It was fine for me first time through, though I did get to watch it from beginning to end with a consistent dub on G4. I think if you have a consistent translation, you can even jump in about halfway and not miss too much.

Quote:
spoiler[Also, I took it to mean he was sitting inside Nirvash the whole time. It didn't seem to suggest that he jumped from world to world like Renton did for two years.]

spoiler[It's been at least long enough for him to grow out his hair, and he hasn't starved, his muscles haven't atrophied, and he hops out and gets on the board like he's done it plenty of times before. Plus there was nothing about him "Quartzifying" himself like Eureka originally did to herself. So I assumed he's been able to stop and get out, just his travel hasn't been as directed as Renton's due to the damage to his Nirvash.]
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
He was essentially spoiler[ in the ether, so you can't really assume that starvation or muscular atrophy would be an issue, considering the poor directing in the show... Also, I could have sworn I remember something about the coral at Iwato being the first coral in that world (yes, it came before the ones that showed up earlier in history.... because of time travel), and that erasing it caused all the others to be erased throughout all of history. Or maybe I misremembered. Or maybe the subs you were watching missed something. ]
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
spoiler[ Also, I could have sworn I remember something about the coral at Iwato being the first coral in that world (yes, it came before the ones that showed up earlier in history.... because of time travel), and that erasing it caused all the others to be erased throughout all of history. Or maybe I misremembered. Or maybe the subs you were watching missed something. ]

Well, I watched the Funimation subs. If you're outside the US, and you can remember where you thought they said that, I can check what Funi had them saying there.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Almost forgot! When a character named for Alfred Bester turned up, I was wondering which Bester work might turn out to be an influence on this show. After seeing the whole thing, it definitely looks like someone is a fan of The Stars My Destination. For those who liked this show, you might like that book as well.

I was wondering the same for Anne McCaffrey when we learned that Chloe and Maeve had the same last name, but no connection to a specific McCaffrey work stands out. I think they may have just thrown that in as a general tribute, since she died late last year, when this show would have been in development.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
I totally forgot about the last two episodes aired in November, so only just caught up with it as I thought it would be nice to wrap up some of the so called 'currently watching' (in reality: not gripping enough to make me interested in finishing them) series. Man, what a bland, unsatisfying and pointless ending.

I would find it difficult to even write a plot summary of this one, since I cant really think there was a coherent plot to start with, from the distance it looks like a selection of loosely tied episodes and stories with random characters that popped in and out and could be (and sometimes were!) erased with no effect on the story. Well, at least I managed to get through the whole thing and can forget about it.
sphyre052

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
At first I really was amazed by this anime and watched until the very end. But I hate the ending spoiler[because Ao changed history and everyone doesn't know his existence], I kinda want to changed the last part. I hope the ending of its manga is better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21