• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Building You A Better Cartoon Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

You should ask yourselves is paying $370 plus tax + plus shipping worth 13 episodes when you can buy a PS3 with a few games, a bunch of different animes or movies from another company, and go out with friends multiple times?

The answer to enough people is, yes, totally worth it. Can I personally justify the price? Not at this particular moment. So I went without. Aniplex is no doubt aware that a lot of people feel that way, so they're fine with their low print run, high price point model. If the time comes when that model is no longer feasible, they will either adapt or perish.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Fans are forced to sacrifice for those imported Aniplex of America boxes and its something they are NOT used to. 10 complete BD sets vs. one loaded import set? No way in hell. It's something a majority of North Americans would/could have never considered until recently, and it's kinda driving them bonkers.

I enjoy the import option as I'm a sucker for collectibles. It's literally reignited the burning flame of passion for the medium within me.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So long as Aniplex never complains about piracy, I'll let them be even if I don't agree with the business strategy. Personal issues with a show I want costing more that a couple of months of what I have left over after I pay me bills aside, it's a very limiting business strategy. No big success in business came from someone happy with only a thousand customers at any given time, but people that worked to bring that up to 2 thousand, then 5, 10, ect. Now, you're pretty much stuck pandering to that thousand customers and hoping they stick around as the price now becomes a serious barrier to new customer entry for some and disincentive for others.

It might keep them alfoat today, but at best that's all they'll ever do.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
That's probably why they are offering three different price tiers for Madoka Magica, re-issuing Oreimo, and offering a Garden of sinners DVD set. It's the "no fan left behind" initiative.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
That's probably why they are offering three different price tiers for Madoka Magica, re-issuing Oreimo, and offering a Garden of sinners DVD set. It's the "no fan left behind" initiative.

but even that isn't much of a draw. For something like Madoka, you either pay the exorbitant $75 for 4 episodes (or 3 can't remember how many episodes per set) with extras that may or may not be worth it (personally I'm not a fan of the extras), or you pay $40 per volume for just the episodes and nothing else. One option is exceedingly expensive, the other option is comparatively cheaper but still pretty pricey. I understand that this is the pricing model they want, but it certainly isn't one I ever plan on buying into. Price points like this is what drives me to wait several months after the release of an item until the price drops to something more reasonable via secondary sellers on amazon. And for cripes sakes, no one wants to buy a series less than 26 episodes in volumes anymore Rolling Eyes
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

but even that isn't much of a draw. For something like Madoka, you either pay the exorbitant $75 for 4 episodes (or 3 can't remember how many episodes per set) with extras that may or may not be worth it (personally I'm not a fan of the extras), or you pay $40 per volume for just the episodes and nothing else. One option is exceedingly expensive, the other option is comparatively cheaper but still pretty pricey. I understand that this is the pricing model they want, but it certainly isn't one I ever plan on buying into. Price points like this is what drives me to wait several months after the release of an item until the price drops to something more reasonable via secondary sellers on amazon. And for cripes sakes, no one wants to buy a series less than 26 episodes in volumes anymore Rolling Eyes

Then don't buy it.

Problem solved.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Then don't buy it.

Problem solved.

I forgot something. Streaming. Now there's an option for every fan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why exactly is Aniplex's marketing decisions being looked at in such a negative light? So far they have been releasing titles that they know will sell physical copies and then making the titles available through digital means; Crunchyroll got Oreimo and Madoka and even Garden of Sinners got a digital release. This seems like a wise business move to me

You just answered your own question: Because they rip off people who buy overpriced releases by selling cheaper releases a few months later. If they were niche shows which had no chance of coming out here in the first place, like KOR, then at least you would feel ok with paying a premium for 'em. But, like Bandai Visual U.S.A.'s anime, these titles could be sold cheaper if they really wanted to.

Quote:
I think the fact that Aniplex USA's releases continue to sell out, each and every time, makes a pretty good case that they're doing fine, thanks.

Except R.O.D. and Durarara, which absolutely no one is buying. And Madoka, which apparently, they still have leftover inventory on the LEs. But you just keep telling yourself that it's a successful marketing decision, and they'll just keep cooking their books to make it so.

Quote:
Fast forward a few years, and Bandai Visual is shunted to the side as Bandai Entertainment itself slowly fizzles away.

Actually, it's the other way around. Everyone at this points suspects Bandai Visual was deliberately trying to sabotage BE.

Quote:
and it's better than NOT getting it on DVD or Blu Ray at all, right?"

Well, a lot of people are just fine w/ 'em being streamed, and don't consider 'em keepers. So that's a shitty argument.

Quote:
And the other thing is, for the people who actually do buy these sets, I hear nothing but praise. I mean, they're expensive, but lookit all this crap.

You didn't go to Anime Nation.

Quote:
the 75 dollar asking price isn't that much more than the myriad of "Limited Editions" that would come out for every volume of everything ADV and Bandai used to dump onto the shelves of every Fry's and Best Buy in the country,

Uh, yes it is. Their LEs were only about $10-$20 higher, while this is at least $30-$40 higher.

Quote:
And the other thing is, a lot of these shows have pretty broad appeal; Madoka Magica was one of the biggest hits of last year.

It was the biggest otaku hit. Not the same thing.

Quote:
Kenshin is still huge here, too.

Kenshin is Kenshin. Not Madoka.

Quote:
There's certainly a healthy throng of people who adore Garden of Sinners and Fate/Zero, too.

No one watches the Fate series. If they did, Geneon would still be in business.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I buy expensive things and I don't have a problem with expensive things existing. However, once something reaches a certain price point I need to look at the value of what I'm being offered. If I don't think the quality is there then I'm not buying. I don't go into a Porsche dealership expecting to be sold a Porsche with a Fiat engine <joke>. Smile

I had the first iPhone, the iPhone 3GS and now the iPhone 4s. Its expensive and I'm not happy with the latest phone btw. Similarly, the LE for Madoka was just not doing it for me. Notice I said for me, if others are perfectly happy with it that's ok and obviously there are plenty of happy customers because Aniplex is doing well with this strategy. I think with some of these LE sets they are aiming at the 5-10% of anime buyers that either have the disposable income to purchase this or are willing to eat cup noodles for a month <joke>. Laughing

I've been on the fence about purchasing the cheaper versions of Madoka, because...well I still find them a little pricey. Not outrageous, but still what I consider a bit pricey. I may decide to just skip buying Madoka entirely, which is fine as my life and hobby doesn't depend on owning Aniplex titles. You can't always get everything you want and that's ok with me too.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Then don't buy it.

Problem solved.

Rolling Eyes yes captain obvious, that's what I planned on (although a couple more months vol 1 of Madoka should be priced at a more reasonable $25-30 on amazon). Far be it from me to hope that a company would maybe think about making their products at an accessible price point for all of us and not just a limited few. Silly me, of course that isn't reasonable. This fandom can be so insufferable, a lot of the time....
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The messaging is much clearer, and so less people are looking at their high prices and limited availability as a dirty way to swindle their fans, and it's more of a sad but necessary financial reality.

You know, I'm happy to accept this line of reasoning when it comes to...lets say...House of Five Leaves. It is a much harder pill to swallow when were talking about Fate/Zero (or Blue Exorcist). I find it pretty damn tough to believe that shows like these couldn't do just fine if given a dub and a standard Funimation style release.

Now that said, it is too soon to say that Aniplex won't put Fate/Zero out via a cheaper (and hopefully dubbed) release at some point. I guess we'll see. The fact that they're re-releasing Garden of Sinners* certainly gives me hope both for Fate/Zero and in general that they're headed in the right direction. The thing is, I actually don't care in the slightest if they want to sell some ridiculously priced import version. Just don't let it interfere with us eventually getting a proper R1 version.

*Mind you, I'm still extremely pissed that we won't be getting a BD.

Also, the Madoka release was pretty well handled. They're fairly close to the model I'd like to see: Expensive (but not insanely expensive) LEs for those that want them. Affordable regular editions for everyone else. Mind you, those regular ones are still pretty over-priced. I'd like to see them bring those prices down by at least a third in the future. I'm kinda hoping that we'll eventually see a complete set at a better price. I don't mind waiting.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Then don't buy it.

Problem solved.

That obviously doesn't "solve" the problem at all. As I fan, I want to be able to own the shows I like and whats more, I want to support the shows I like.

Seriously people. If you want to tell me that this is just too bad then I can live with that. But for goodness sake let's do away with this inane, wilfully ignorant posturing where we pretend like this actually isn't a problem when it clearly is.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
when they're not divvying up shows into single volumes, they're releasing exorbitantly-priced boxed sets in limited quantities. Considering that we've been continually spoiled since 2008 or so with rich, full, easy-to-obtain boxed sets of 11 to 13 episodes apiece, all at a low low price, much of what Aniplex is doing seems so antiquated.

aka complete series in a dual layered DVD + blu-ray + digital copy combo or DVD box set all dual layered and Blu-ray

no individual volumes sets anymore just in a bundle

Quote:
For Adult Swim, the important thing is always demographics.

>Numbers Game
2 weeks Adult swim and Cartoon Network are ranked as basic cable's #1 network.
adult swim : 18-24, 18-34 & 18-49
Cartoon Network: 2-11, 6-11 & 9-14

@aki sora
hate to break it about the mature content however I find that to be under eroge.

Quote:
There, now that that's out of the way. Did the sky fall? I guess it didn't. There's two things to pay attention to here: One, this is not a very popular piece of legislation, and even though it's been passed and ratified, it's still under an awful lot of scrutiny - scrutiny from some of the biggest and baddest and most popular figures in the manga, anime, and general Japanese entertainment industry. That triumvirate makes for a pretty powerful lobby. Two, this law has only been in effect since last July. Let's give it, I'll say, a good year or more before we can accurately dissect its open wounds and determine its efficacy or lack thereof.

It's a little too early, I think, to consider the law either a total bust, or the destruction of everything good, ever. Right now, it looks like a bureaucratic mess. Whether the Youth Ordinance Bill saves the soul of every Japanese child or ruins the manga and anime industry is yet to be known.

unfortunately it should be unconstitutional

well since the time has come for me to move on and carry-on ANN
my days have been gotten bad since i have a limited time here.
for some reason
it's been fun while it lasted
I'll return for another time possible time soon
btw friday the 13th

ps I'll refrain about localization aka westernization and watch it when there's a service providers otherwise nothing to do about the soaring rates of data coverage.
goodbye until next time
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm in line behind you. I've also a tremendous difficulty accepting this "3 episodes" on bluray, a technological wonder which allows for many more episodes to be added than 3.

It's one of the reasons I like FUNimation's way of doing it: 6 episodes on a disk. My goodness, how I love the convenience of not having to change them out so often.

Quote:
Seriously people. If you want to tell me that this is just too bad then I can live with that. But for goodness sake let's do away with this inane, wilfully ignorant posturing where we pretend like this actually isn't a problem when it clearly is.

Seconded.

It is a problem, and this is coming from someone who's pretty tired of these games.

I don't mind waiting, given there's plenty to keep me busy, but after I'm done waiting, I sure as hell don't like what's being offered.

But hey, if they truly don't want my money, that's okay, too.

I can spend it elsewhere.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm in line behind you. I've also a tremendous difficulty accepting this "3 episodes" on bluray, a technological wonder which allows for many more episodes to be added than 3.

Number of episodes on the disc has nothing to do with the theoretical storage capacity.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Since people are still grumbling about Aniplex prices and their limited releases, I wonder how many $50~$60 DVD/BD sets from other companies has been sold. I'm raising this question because the physical media are less in demand than previous year and more fans are using streams and downloads than building up media library to watch anime.

From my perspective, Anime DVD/BD buying crowd and collectors has not been increased since the DVD implosion. Even though many fans clamoring about certain titles should be released more and cheaper, does actual sales numbers match or exceed their demands?

Aniplex is doing fine with their pricing, so I think it's worth discussing about things like sales figure from other companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6