• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Building You A Better Cartoon Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
I don't recall ever saying that a toilet paper company doesn't do marketing. My point was that marketing is more imperative to sell things people don't need (i.e. an ipad, a blueray player) than it would be for something people are going to need to buy at some point (i.e. at some point someones going to need to pick up toilet paper if they run out regardless if they want to or not).

Complete and utter nonsense, since it doesn't do you any good that they need to pick it up unless they pick up yours.

O_o what? The mole hill has become a mountain that has warped into a chimpanzee. There are no words.
agila61 wrote:

As far as quoting someone patiently explaining to you that you had misread them to prove that you are the authority on reading what is in front of you ...
.. OK, you go with that.

are we just stirring the pot on this one? Methinks we're just stiring the pot. The pot is nonstick, stirring isn't necessary Rolling Eyes
Quote:

On this:
kakoishii wrote:
Quote:
And of course, "ship out to stores and just hope that people will snap them up" is the opposite of what Aniplex USA is doing.

I don't recall ever saying that this is what Aniplex is doing. Context is your friend ...

Dude, this is the context:

luffypirate85 wrote:
That's probably why they are offering three different price tiers for Madoka Magica, re-issuing Oreimo, and offering a Garden of sinners DVD set. It's the "no fan left behind" initiative.

kakoishii wrote:
but even that isn't much of a draw. For something like Madoka, you either pay the exorbitant $75 for 4 episodes (or 3 can't remember how many episodes per set) with extras that may or may not be worth it (personally I'm not a fan of the extras), or you pay $40 per volume for just the episodes and nothing else. One option is exceedingly expensive, the other option is comparatively cheaper but still pretty pricey. I understand that this is the pricing model they want, but it certainly isn't one I ever plan on buying into. Price points like this is what drives me to wait several months after the release of an item until the price drops to something more reasonable via secondary sellers on amazon. And for cripes sakes, no one wants to buy a series less than 26 episodes in volumes anymore Rolling Eyes

You CANNOT be serious. Without being completely insulting, do you understand the meaning of context? When someone pulls a line out of a paragraph of what someone said/wrote and uses it for his/her own devices, that is called taking something out of context. How in the world can the context of what I had wrote be several posts before it? No my dear, that is not the context. This is the context:
Quote:

No, my logic isn't to state that there's any such proof whatsoever that people will buy more than ever before, but knowledge in this situation is power. It's a company's job to get people to want to buy their products not ship out the stores and just hope people will snap them up. That sort of business is lazy, and unless you're selling something that people can't help but buy (i.e. toilet paper, light bulbs, necessities etc.) you have to be willing to do the research to see what people are willing buy and the maximum price they're willing to pay for it. This sort of thing is even more important when you have a product that people used to buy and droves but not so much anymore. DVDs would be in that ball park. It's the marketing team's job to find out why people aren't buying them anymore and how to get them to buy them again.

The bolded is what you quoted, everything around it is the context, not text from several posts away.
Quote:

... that is, a discussion about AniplexUSA titles. And yes, I just now read through each and every one of your posts up through to the one where you say:
Quote:
For a market that's hurting because the amount of people who is buying are shrinking, to me it would be counterproductive and ill informed to suddenly think selling everything anime at Japanese prices is a good idea.

And you are the one who tosses the idea of "selling everything at Japanese prices" into the discussion. Nobody else said anything along those lines: you were just making up an absurd position nobody else said so you could have something that was easier to argue against than what people actually said.

Are you even reading the posts I'm replying to? Stir, stir, stir that's what you're doing agila because I have no idea what you're on about. What you quoted was my response to this:
RyanSaotome wrote:

In Japan, owning the anime is a premium not everyone but the biggest fans can do... I don't see the problem with changing the market to be like that here too. In the past, buying was the best legal way to watch stuff, but now with all the legal streaming everywhere, its essentially the same as it airing on TV in Japan so you no longer need to buy unless you really like the series

You see that little box above what you quoted from me? Yeah, that was my response to RyanSaotome not me just making stuff up stirring the pot for no reason. Let's be clearer, since for whatever reason it seems I haven't been clear enough. Ryan Saotome stated he doesn't see why the market here isn't similar to how it is in the Japan where the ownership of anime on physical media is considered premium and only the biggest of fans can afford or be willing to invest in ownership of that material. Ergo I translated that to him meaning he wouldn't mind if Japanese prices became the norm in the states. If that's not what he meant than by all means I would love for him to come and clarify as HitokiriShadow did earlier. Until then, that's what I've inferred I don't see that to be a too terribly big stretch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6