• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can't logout? The fix is here.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:39 pm Reply with quote
You click on logout and it has no effect? To fix that, click here and then restart your browser.

If you want to hear the technical story, read on...

This is a bug that a few people have reported and which I experienced myself, but I was never able to reproduce it again, so that made it rather difficult to fix. But thanks to the help of Path, who was still experiencing it, I've been able to isolate its cause.

It all begins a few months ago, when I wanted to fix a little annoyance. cookies are a nice little bit of browser technology, but there are a few pitfalls you gotta be aware of. For example, if you set a cookie for animenewsnetwork.com, it will be visible to all subdomains of ANN. But if you set a cookie for www.animenewsnetwork.com, then it won't be visible to the main domain, animenewsnetwork.com. This was a little annoying in the forums; if I logged in from animenewsnetwork.com there was no problem, but if I logged in from www.animenewsnetwork.com then I'd be "logged out" if I tried switching to animenewsnetwork.com (which is the exact same thing). It was pretty minor but it was easy to fix, so I changed the forum settings to always use "animenewsnetwork.com" to store the cookie, no matter which subdomain you might be logging in from.

Now, another pitfall you have to be aware of when using cookies is that they must be deleted using the same parameters that they were created with. So what happened is that some people logged in using www.animenewsnetwork.com before I made the change, but after I made the change, when logging out, the forum software tried to delete the cookie using animenewsnetwork.com. Since this is not the same domain as what the cookie was saved with, the cookie was never deleted and the user could never log out.

The solution was a little patch that doesn't delete the cookie but rather sets it as temporary, so the browser will delete it when it closes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1