• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Newspaper: Jin Akanishi Forced to Leave GTO Show Remake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One reason for the penalties is that Akanishi reported the marriage to Johnny & Associates after the couple had already registered their marriage.

I know it's Idol culture, but this still sickens me. He had to get permission before getting married? Makes me wonder why anyone would want to be a celebrity in Japan.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately in Japan Idols have a responsibility of "purity" and being single, it isn't as tough on guys, but the being single part is quite rough... Here we don't mind as much, girls would still want a kid from the "idol" even if he were to be married and with kids, in Japan they usually get despised by the fans because of being with someone... The agency is penalizing him because the market over there works in that way.

We see the actions taken from the company as rough, having to ask for permission to marry, the hell... but from their point of view, this having very negative effects on sales in Japan, it's quite obvious that they've penalized him.

Just saying...
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I don't think this has anything to do with idol culture. I think this is more about how the traditional aspects of senior-junior relationships work in Japan. Suffice it to say, the agent in this case is not analogous to what we have here in the United States. The agent probably put in a lot of favors and invested a lot of money to get the singer to where he is today. It is a matter of respect to run big decisions in your personal life, like marriage, through your benefactor. I know this is hard to understand, but hey that's Japan.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Apparently, according to their contract, any idol that works for Johnny's Entertainment cannot get married before 30, so he violated the contract. Still, that's pretty harsh.

You don't mess with Johnny...
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Apparently, according to their contract, any idol that works for Johnny's Entertainment cannot get married before 30, so he violated the contract. Still, that's pretty harsh.

You don't mess with Johnny...

Well that's certainly another matter entirely, breaking a contract like that. He's lucky that he didn't get completely dumped and blacklisted from the industry.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I have zero respect for any business built around monetizing "purity", but I'm sure Akanishi new what he was getting into.
Goggen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait - what's this about a GTO remake?? This is the first I've heard of it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, you work for the talent agents - they don't work for you! Laughing
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

One reason you would likely never see such a contract clause in the United States is that is would leave the contract open to being rescinded by a court due to being "against public interest".
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with idol culture. I think this is more about how the traditional aspects of senior-junior relationships work in Japan. Suffice it to say, the agent in this case is not analogous to what we have here in the United States. The agent probably put in a lot of favors and invested a lot of money to get the singer to where he is today. It is a matter of respect to run big decisions in your personal life, like marriage, through your benefactor. I know this is hard to understand, but hey that's Japan.

While I don't think you're wrong, I do think it has a lot to do with idol fan culture. I've seen enough of it at this point. Idols in relationships get major backlash from fans. I've seen idol fanclub numbers drop and anti club numbers rise en masse just because a relationship was announced. Idol fangirls can be a seriously delusional bunch and they can be very immature about their idol being with someone. That sort of backlash isn't good for business. Now granted I'm a bit more familiar with the Korean idol scene than the Japanese one, but many of the same principles apply. Agencies do everything they can to keep relationships underwrap because fans get so upset when things come out.
divinicide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow Japan are really serious about this "purity." I am willing to say he should be able to do whatever he wants but popularity and money can drop within in instant in Japan. A lot of Idol in Japan do have secret marriages in order to lower attention. I believe you can date whoever you like and you shouldnt let the fan discourage you but at the same time Japan has a different mindset compare to west so compromises are made. Maybe he should do what Aya Hirano did and change agencies.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:
Wait - what's this about a GTO remake?? This is the first I've heard of it.

First time i hear of it. I loved the first Drama Series and anime of course. I think they should have just brought back the original actor since he played the role perfectly. Well i don't mind the anime getting another season even a short 12 Eps one or so.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
divinicide wrote:
Maybe he should do what Aya Hirano did and change agencies.

Johnny's is not the same as a seiyuu agency at all... One does not simply walk into a new agency after being a Johnny.

Man, Jin, I'm sorry, but we totally all called it. He WOULD be the Johnny to get a shotgun marriage.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
divinicide wrote:
Maybe he should do what Aya Hirano did and change agencies.

He doesn't get to simply leave. Johnny's invested thousands upon thousands of dollars into him. He was with the company for 8 years from 1998 to 2006 before he made his official debut. 8 years being trained in singing, dancing, acting on their money. Each guy that comes into Johnny's is a huge investment and as such their contracts are much stricter than a seiyuu's contract.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
He doesn't get to simply leave. Johnny's invested thousands upon thousands of dollars into him. He was with the company for 8 years from 1998 to 2006 before he made his official debut. 8 years being trained in singing, dancing, acting on their money. Each guy that comes into Johnny's is a huge investment and as such their contracts are much stricter than a seiyuu's contract.

Pretty much this. You get raised on Jonny's money, you play by Johnny's rules, simple as that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2