• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Medaka Box TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Although I must say some of the character designs seem abit off to me, that girl in the front, my lord, how does her spine not snap from all that weight in the front!?

In context, the design of Medaka is tolerable and even ideal to represent the character that they are trying to project. Fortunately for you Purple, I don't recall this being too fanservice focused if that would be a fear of yours, though the episodes I've seen so far DO have some Gainaxing but that comes with the studio in question.

In the manga, it hasn't become a distraction anyway unlike Fairy Tail (look at the last chapter, 278).

On the topic of other things to localise.
I wish it was Nichijou or Chihayafuru. Both awesome short shows on Crunchyroll, both deserve permanent physical media treatment... And yes, I recommend them to anybody reading this.

Sentai have been on a roll either way... <_<
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Why would the world would anyone want to license this of all things? What's the world coming to?

DmonHiro wrote:
Here's the scoop. The manga was VERY unpopular when it began. It was close to being canceled. So, they changed genres, and not it's very popular. The anime has not yet reached that point. I'm guessing around episode 6, since I think they want to get there as fast as possible.

6? Did you fail to notice that Gainax is progressing strictly, faithfully, and boringly close to the manga so far? No need to guess, simple math should tell you when anything's going to happen (two chapters per episode). Given that, 6 seems a bit early. Even if rushing might be in their best interest, that doesn't seem to be Gainax's concern.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pretty evident to see now that otaku buy Bake/Nise for SHAFT.

I'm pretty sure they're buying them for the sheer amount of fanservice, especially in Nise. :p
CannedJam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Some of you are being a little too optimistic. spoiler[Kumagawa] isn't showing up in 6 episodes...keep that hope alive I guess? Neutral I don't even know what compelled me to stick with this manga from chapter 1 till now, but I can honestly say it becomes a thousand times better once he showed up and the whole series formula (and basically genre) changed. It went from school life series to battle manga beforespoiler[Kumagawa] showed up, but then it when tospoiler[ extreme shounen battle manga, to love comedy] and now back to school-life and it's all bareable because of him :3
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the show on CR so far but it's still far too early for me to even contemplate buying the series on disc. We shall see......
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Y u no license Nanoha Striker and ZnT 2 & 3?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
On a more serious note though, always glad to see companies pick up new titles, keep the announcements coming Sentai, good to see your good and healthy! *knock on wood for good luck.*

I suppose it is good that Sentai has licensed a new series. But from what I have seen, Medaka Box looks like a stupid series. Don't assume that because the manga is liked, the anime series will be good.

I agree with the comments of those hoping that Dusk Maiden of Amnesia gets licensed. I have seen the first two episodes only, and it looks compelling and very high budgeted.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

THIS. Hell, why don't they license Nanoha period? Funi has pretty much shrugged the franchise off so it's up for grabs. I already own the first movie (with SUBS!) in Japanese but I'd kill to own it in English.

StrikerS, in particular.

Be right back. Going to worship my god, yuri-bait GaoGaiGar-tan, in regards to StrikerS getting licensed someday.
By the way;
spoiler[Force isn't canon.]

Great news otherwise for this. That means I can put off the streams so I can grab the series when it comes out. Been interested ever since I read the synopsis and saw the PV but to lazy to stream, want to own a complete series, etc.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Because they don't sell.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

Because they don't sell.

And this will? It's based on a manga that almost got canceled, and the pre-orders aren't so hot either.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
It has tits, it will sell.

I'm amazed the manga didn't sell well, though. I thought NisiOisin's name alone printed money.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm amazed the manga didn't sell well, though. I thought NisiOisin's name alone printed money.
The tankoubon sales aren't bad at all - comparable to Negima and To-Love-Ru in 2011, which gets it into the top 50. But it never ranks high on surveys.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Maybe if it was called Medakamonogatari it would sell. That monogatari bit is important with NisiOisin. I suppose much how Nagaru Tanigawa is best known for Haruhi, and any other works of his are kind of "huh? He did something other than Haruhi?"
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The problem is, right now, the anime is going through material slowly and through parts that people, frankly, didn't care about. Manga started doing a lot better after Nisio changed the genre/tone.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

The tankoubon sales aren't bad at all - comparable to Negima and To-Love-Ru in 2011, which gets it into the top 50. But it never ranks high on surveys.

This is interesting to me. I don't know much about this series, but I wonder what about it might be deterring audiences. I always wonder what attracts and repels Japanese readers, especially for things like this. While one might cynically attribute it to the sexual pandering, it never seems quite that simple and I'm left curious about what factors motivate readers. I don't imagine that there's any good information or analysis of this; reader surveys don't really convey detailed enough information for that kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3