• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Medaka Box TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Y u no license Nanoha Striker and ZnT 2 & 3?

THIS. Hell, why don't they license Nanoha period? Funi has pretty much shrugged the franchise off so it's up for grabs.
Maybe they still have the license, it's just like all the other Geneon shows they're OOP only because of that merger in Japan that screwed them over? It's why new things from Geneon, and old things they haven't released but Geneon did (Like Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA's 1-2) have been delayed so long, the merger led to the companies to not send the materials FUNi needs to begin working on them.

Though considering we're seeing some Geneon stuff come back into print like Ergo Proxy, it's a good sign we'll soon know what Geneon stuff FUNi kept. They have stated recently they're finally receiving materials for many shows, so we could see Nanoha back in print if that's one title they decided to keep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SprintsMcGee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I called this!
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It has tits, it will sell.

I'm amazed the manga didn't sell well, though. I thought NisiOisin's name alone printed money.

ZnT has way more tits than this series ever will.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Y u no license Nanoha Striker and ZnT 2 & 3?

THIS. Hell, why don't they license Nanoha period? Funi has pretty much shrugged the franchise off so it's up for grabs.
Maybe they still have the license, it's just like all the other Geneon shows they're OOP only because of that merger in Japan that screwed them over? It's why new things from Geneon, and old things they haven't released but Geneon did (Like Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA's 1-2) have been delayed so long, the merger led to the companies to not send the materials FUNi needs to begin working on them.

Though considering we're seeing some Geneon stuff come back into print like Ergo Proxy, it's a good sign we'll soon know what Geneon stuff FUNi kept. They have stated recently they're finally receiving materials for many shows, so we could see Nanoha back in print if that's one title they decided to keep.

Except Funimation already stated that Nanoha did poorly and they let the license lapse, along with Familiar of Zero.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
6? Did you fail to notice that Gainax is progressing strictly, faithfully, and boringly close to the manga so far? No need to guess, simple math should tell you when anything's going to happen (two chapters per episode). Given that, 6 seems a bit early. Even if rushing might be in their best interest, that doesn't seem to be Gainax's concern.

OK, at 2 chapters per episode it would be around episode 8. It was at chapter 16, I believe, that the enforcer arc started.
CannedJam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Clarste wrote:
6? Did you fail to notice that Gainax is progressing strictly, faithfully, and boringly close to the manga so far? No need to guess, simple math should tell you when anything's going to happen (two chapters per episode). Given that, 6 seems a bit early. Even if rushing might be in their best interest, that doesn't seem to be Gainax's concern.

OK, at 2 chapters per episode it would be around episode 8. It was at chapter 16, I believe, that the enforcer arc started.

The Enforcer Arc was okay because of spoiler[Unzen]. The dramatic shift in tone made sense because he's spoiler[a reckless child], but if I remember correctly, the series was still in hot water during this arc. I could be wrong; it was more than two years ago now.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It was still in hot water (ie: on the edge of cancellation) for that arc, and the arc after that. It didn't really get popular until the late 50's or later (in terms of chapters), after a certain new character was introduced. It's unlikely the anime is ever going to get that far.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder just who was reading all the way into the 50's for that to happen. You'd think everyone would just abandon it by then. No point in slogging through a boring manga, but I guess people just read it out of boredom (I used to do that with shonen jump sometimes. There would be a few comics I didn't care for, but I read them anyway since....shit, they were there, and not finishing the issue just felt...wrong).
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, it doesn't mean everyone hated it, just that they liked it the least.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Except Funimation already stated that Nanoha did poorly and they let the license lapse, along with Familiar of Zero.
Already knew about Familiar of Zero, along with a couple other Geneon titles like The Law of Ueki and When They Cry expiring a long time ago, but did they ever say the license expired, or they'll be letting it expire for Nanoha?

Where and when did they say this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
but did they ever say the license expired, or they'll be letting it expire for Nanoha?

Where and when did they say this?

It'll take some digging since I'm pretty sure that was on a list that I saw posted somewhere, of shows they weren't interested in renewing, however, a recent example is this:

animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/katsucon/5

Quote:
When asked about the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha films, Sheehan said that "there is no Nanoha in the future for us right now."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3