• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira's Otomo Comments on State of Anime Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandGrave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Heh, I just think he wishes Steamboy had been profitable. Was listening to the Tekkon Kinkreet commentary and the director mentioned one of his lead animator said he devoted his youth to it (10 years) sand Tekkon's bright color palette was a direct response to Steamboys saturated palette.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]

Considering that TVTropes is pretty much dead center for "OMG THINK OF THE VIRTUAL CHILDREN" I'm not too impressed.

Polycell wrote:
That just reminds me why I don't go there anymore: any group the admin doesn't like has to hold their tongue, even if they're less "dickish" about it than the Vandal-in-Chief about... anything. But enough about that tangent.

Man, if people think I was harsh to Zac, they should have seen the stuff I said to Fast Eddie.

Also, I wish people wouldn't invoke my name when I haven't opined on a subject kthxbai
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
The only statement actually from Otomo is the one cited in the ANN news. The rest of the article just commented on his legacy and his exhibit. Any implications about the need for another Akira-like title to jumpstart the industry comes purely from the article's author, not Otomo. So any other sentiment seems to be just speculation until we hear more.

So far, all I read is: "For movies, we need more monies. But we haz no monies. Maybe work with overseas, maybe not."
LaSean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

Past wrote:
Ha ha, see? When anime "greats" that represent purity and accessibility of animation to the masses are criticized, their followers of anime "yesteryear" get their panties in a bunch. This is exactly what I think either you, Fencedude or someone else predicted would happen when the tables were turned and we did exactly the thing that Zac-supporters were lauding him for.

RyanSaotome, I like the way you think, keep it up Very Happy

Pure ignorance! I'm not even a Otomo fan but you people are something else. smh
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Not too many anime directors do self-contained movies anymore. Japan has been hurting for money for budgets. Look at the billions of losses even by the biggest of the big companies like Panasonic, Sony, and Sharp. It's harder to raise money for projects from scratch.
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
In the linked article, the only thing that Otomo says is that the available budgets for movies were lower and that the most likely cause of this was the earthquake that struck Japan just over a year ago. He makes no mention of the qualities or lack thereof in current anime on television or the state of manga, nor does he present any opinions over current plot and story-telling trends.

If you were going to make any extrapolations based on the linked article or even the synopsis given on ANN, it would be that Otomo at least sees some link between one of the themes in his work and the earthquake that occurred.

Is it really that hard to expect people to spend a minute or two reading before they comment on a news story?
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Quote:
The proper budgets needed to bring animation to cinemas just aren't available at the moment.

So, he wants to see more anime shown in theaters, but the money isn't there for a movie style production. Okay...I can see that even though there have been a lot more anime movies lately. Does he want to see a shift from late-night TV to showing a movie or using movies to showcase original works? I dunno.

Its a bit shocking, I know, but perhaps he was simply giving his observation as an industry insider in a position to know. Like, a piece of information to an audience likely to include people interested in knowing.

It would take an argument addict of the highest order to take that observation about the current prospects for financing theatrical releases and try to argue with it by reading opinions about art style or something along those lines.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]

Good god, will people let that the fudge go already? I'm startingto ger really sick of people pulling up old shit every time I'm on a forum.

Oh, and by the way, I was banned for linking ONE ecchi pic kn the Touhou thread. If you're going to troll, actually research before trying to use someone's past against them.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Having read the article and the comments, I can easily see why there's a generation gap.

I took the comments to mean there's not as many original movies as there once were, and I'd have to agree. It seems the only way a movie gets made today is if there's a successful franchise behind it, though this certainly is just a casual observation.

The OVAs of "yesteryear" were a mixed bag of decent titles with a...

... nevermind. Some things don't change. Smile
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
That's a problem plaguing the industry in general. There's very few anime that are truly 100% original. Nearly everything is an adaption.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
That's a problem plaguing the industry in general. There's very few anime that are truly 100% original. Nearly everything is an adaption.
As long as we're getting stuff like Chihayafuru and Kids on the Slope, I don't think that's inherently a problem.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

There is nothing really wrong with adaptions, but does having something with an original* story mean it is going to be better than an adaption? I think if the economy in Japan was much better I think more original anime could be made.

*Original as in not based on a previous work
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
No, but I'd like to see a better balance. Original don't have to worry about filler, altering plot, and other things, and can be very focused when it comes to pacing. Just look at Madoka.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

Oh look, another fanservice/moe show person saying classic directors are no longer relevant. I'm sure he's just mad that his favorite anime is nothing but cheaply-made, banal gobshyte.
Past wrote:
Ha ha, see? When anime "greats" that represent purity and accessibility of animation to the masses are criticized, their followers of anime "yesteryear" get their panties in a bunch. This is exactly what I think either you, Fencedude or someone else predicted would happen when the tables were turned and we did exactly the thing that Zac-supporters were lauding him for.

WAAAAAAAHHHHH! You still mad about your precious hikikimori otaku shit being called out for what it is? I look forward to seeing Zac continue to take gigantic shits on your otaku panderfest shows.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Yeah trolls gotta stick together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5