• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira's Otomo Comments on State of Anime Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

It seems like you're saying this just to be a giant ass.

If you are that qualifies as trolling and I'm more than happy to boot you out of here. Otherwise you can tone it down.

Plase and thank you, Zac. From my viewpoint, ol' RyRy here let the first digital words out of his mouth be something sure to spark a heated debate or controversy, so I'd conclude that yes, boy be trollin'. Boot his immature backside.

So people aren't allowed to say something against older anime related stuff without getting banned, but Zac is allowed to troll new anime he doesn't like in his reviews?

Got it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That wasn't really my point, which was more that back then, it took more than cute girls who rigidly stick to an archetype to sell well. Bow al you have to do is stuff it with cute girls and that's it. Now, I don't mind cute girls, I even like moe! But some shows just stop at the "cute girls" part. They don't get to the "craft a good plot with well-written characters" part. Even slice-of-life shows need well-written characters--they need them the MOST, as literally the main/only draw for them is their characters.

This isn't even getting to how the process for making a character these days in anime tends to be "pick an archetype and rigidly stick to it". I have trouble caring about slice-of-life or moe shows because the characters tend to ring so hollow. They aren't characters. They're archetypes, with no story, no history, no interesting traits.

Someone hasn't watched much old anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

So people aren't allowed to say something against older anime related stuff without getting banned, but Zac is allowed to troll new anime he doesn't like in his reviews?
Got it.
You were being disrespectful to your elders, which you obviously don't get. Was this not taught to you in your up bringing as well then?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You were being disrespectful to your elders, which you obviously don't get. Was this not taught to you in your up bringing as well then?

This is sarcasm...right?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

This is sarcasm...right?
Have you not read his first post then?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I was referring to your post.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
*cough cough EARTHQUAKE AND BUDGETS cough hack wheeze*

I really do not see why people assumed Otomo said "today's anime is bad" when he was talking about the difficulty of getting the proper budget for animated movies after the earthquake. (This just triggered an emotional response in me to the loss of Satoshi Kon. God dang it. Crying or Very sad ) He said nothing about stories or characters, at all. Maybe some people are a bit too defensive around here...
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Got it.
You blasted a statement in a way that completely ignores the content, then wonder why people didn't like you doing that. I mean, had Otomo said "Moe is killing anime" or whatever, lashing out might make sense. But coming out swinging like that against a statement that could not possibly be offensive to you is just being pointlessly hateful.

It's far more interesting to me how you were talking about how much you enjoy anime, yet you're blasting Otomo of all people.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

? It seems like you've made up an article that never existed and then responded to it. The quote in the ANN post was about a guy saying that the earthquake has impacted budgets, making anime production more difficult to finance. There wasn't a single qualitative statement about the type of anime being made in it.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]

LOL. It's always funny when people make a post that is basically like, "This guy is lame because after I spent time and energy to stalk him across a variety of websites and lurking behind his every step on the internet..."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The fact that some people are losing their shit over this really just speaks to their own absurd persecution complex.
DragonSyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

? It seems like you've made up an article that never existed and then responded to it. The quote in the ANN post was about a guy saying that the earthquake has impacted budgets, making anime production more difficult to finance. There wasn't a single qualitative statement about the type of anime being made in it.

The article wasn't but the second poster and the people like him sure made it seem that way.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The article wasn't but the second poster and the people like him sure made it seem that way.

My comment was made in response to Ryan's, so blame it on him, not me.

Especially when Ryan's post belies the fact that he didn't actually read the article before knee-jerk posting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I was referring to your post.
Read his first then decide for yourself.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
*cough cough EARTHQUAKE AND BUDGETS cough hack wheeze*

I really do not see why people assumed Otomo said "today's anime is bad" when he was talking about the difficulty of getting the proper budget for animated movies after the earthquake. ...

It depends on whether the purpose of responding is to provoke a response.

That is, as a direct reading of the article, it is quite insane. As a deliberate effort to provoke another round of a familiar argument, it makes quite a lot of sense to act as if Otome said "today's anime is bad" when he actually said, "its hard to put together the budget for a theatrical anime release right now".
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]

LOL. It's always funny when people make a post that is basically like, "This guy is lame because after I spent time and energy to stalk him across a variety of websites and lurking behind his every step on the internet..."

It's not possible that I might have recognized the name because I used to visit TVTropes? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5