• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Color of Earth Manhwa Was #2 in Most Censoring Attempts in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the second volume not the third? The third had pages of visual metaphors for the character's "first time," would have thought that would annoy the over-zealous adults more than anything else.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wait, the second volume not the third? The third had pages of visual metaphors for the character's "first time," would have thought that would annoy the over-zealous adults more than anything else.

Oh, the entire series was #2 on the list, and not just one volume.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
What I find most surprising about this article is that people are still trying to censor Brave New World and To Kill A Mockingbird.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Censoring Library books did not work when I was a kid 40 years ago and it would have no chance of working for my kids in the last 20 years. ( They have had full access to an uncensored internet during that time. )

What my Wife and I did was to make certain that if our boys had questions they knew they could ask us. Any question, any time. Much the same as my parents did for me.

Mark Gosdin
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
What I find most surprising about this article is that people are still trying to censor Brave New World and To Kill A Mockingbird.

I agree. When will grownups grow up.... Mad
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read it and know any specific reasons why? Them just listing 'sex' doesn't help. Unless this is a case of 'it's a comic, which is automatically for little kids"

And I can't think of anything to censor in To Kill a Mocking Bird. Granted I read it like 15 years ago, but all I remember is a black man being framed for a crime and the court not really caring about evidence since he's black. Is that really bad enough for people to censor? You see worse racial profiling on the news/BET.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to 2012 folks...

EDIT: More depressing than the sex (although probably tied to it) is how many of these list religious viewpoint as a reason.

Last edited by Scaramanga on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And I can't think of anything to censor in To Kill a Mocking Bird. Granted I read it like 15 years ago, but all I remember is a black man being framed for a crime and the court not really caring about evidence since he's black.

I haven't read it, but the book's Wikipedia entry offers the plausible explanation that, "The book's racial slurs, profanity, and frank discussion of rape have led people to challenge its appropriateness in libraries and classrooms across the United States." The the American Library Association seems to corroborate this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I can't think of anything to censor in To Kill a Mocking Bird. Granted I read it like 15 years ago, but all I remember is a black man being framed for a crime and the court not really caring about evidence since he's black. Is that really bad enough for people to censor? You see worse racial profiling on the news/BET.

Originally, people wanted to censor it because of the current of racism that under-lied US society at the time it was published--racists hated the anti-racism message.

Now, the main reason people want to censor it today is that it uses the n-word so much, even though that's simply because it takes place in a tine where the n-word was used frequently. The dialog is merely historically correct.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Censoring Library books did not work when I was a kid 40 years ago and it would have no chance of working for my kids in the last 20 years. ( They have had full access to an uncensored internet during that time. )

What my Wife and I did was to make certain that if our boys had questions they knew they could ask us. Any question, any time. Much the same as my parents did for me.

Mark Gosdin

Mark, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'd wager people who want to believe that genitalia and sexuality don't exist amongst kids/teens probably also don't want to accept what's on that interwebs they keep hearing about.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Manhwa =/= Manga, so I don't see the need to discuss it on this site.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The two are generally conflated together, however.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Manhwa =/= Manga, so I don't see the need to discuss it on this site.

And yet here you are discussing the need (or lack thereof) to discuss it on this site. Odd.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Wandering Son didn't make the list just for its subject matter. But then, this is the first year in a while that neither And Tango Makes Three or Heather Has Two Mommies is present, so perhaps that's less of a hot-button issue than people actually having sex.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm surprised Wandering Son didn't make the list just for its subject matter. But then, this is the first year in a while that neither And Tango Makes Three or Heather Has Two Mommies is present, so perhaps that's less of a hot-button issue than people actually having sex.

I suppose it depends on how much of WS is out and has been picked up by libraries nation-wide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3