• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Spring The Pain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
ANN does have a bias, but all forums/websites do. Out of the 3 main forums I go to for anime (/a/, MAL and ANN), its the one that is the most "Western/mainstream anime" leaning. MAL is kinda inbetween Otaku and Western, and /a/ is like all the way on the opposite side of the spectrum from ANN.

Though I don't really have a problem with it. People like what they like, and people of a similar mind will generally go to specific forums where others have the same tastes.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
/a/ really isn't a forum in the traditional sense, though. It moves too fast and is a little too "unreserved" sometimes for me to really think of using it. At least it's not /jp/--/a/ can actually be a pretty cool place sometimes.

The only time I ever really go into 4chan at all would be to visit /co/, /y/, and possibly /cm/.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
/a/ really isn't a forum in the traditional sense, though. It moves too fast and is a little too "unreserved" sometimes for me to really think of using it. At least it's not /jp/--/a/ can actually be a pretty cool place sometimes.

Well, I wouldn't use the "too fast" reasoning for why its not a forum.. it just means its incredibly popular. /a/ probably has as many users as every other Western anime forum put together, and at peak times can have like 500-1000 people on there at once (even more sometimes for massive events like new Madoka episodes, which actually shut all of 4chan down a few times because of the hits). Its just a massive board.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well, the main reason I said it wasn't really a traditional forum was that its threads are frequently deleted, using usernames is considered abnormal/pretentious rather than required, and 4chan was orginaly designed for the purpose of sharing pictures (hence the name "imageboard"). It's still a forum, just a very odd one.

Also, /a/ gets so many posts partially because there's no need for registration, rules are more lax, and short posts aren't as stigmatized as in other forums.
stealthMomo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
stealthMomo wrote:
TitanXL isn't well known to me. Nor are any of the commentators here. I wont be back to discuss this subject or any other. The views of the majority here are SO far from my views that any meaningful discussion is impossible. May you all enjoy your crappy, watered down excuses for anime. I will continue on my merry way watching TRUE anime. Thanks for the discouraging but laughable time.

So it's not worth discussing something with people because you have no tolerance for opinions that are not your own? I hate to break it to you, but people still have free will and we are not a collective conscience. They have every right to make their own judgement and you are not in any position to claim your own judgements are more important or superior in any way, shape or form than those of others. There's no room in a discussion for holier than thou "my opinion is god" speeches and viewpoints, if you can't even respect peoples rights to make their own decisions then there's no place for you in a discussion. Thanks for playing.

stealthMomo wrote:
As I said, I stumbled onto this thread almost by accident. I've long known ANN has a bias. I've often thought ANN was just a shill-factory for FUNimation, but a quick Google and Wiki search shows me it is privately owned (which does not necessarily remove the suspicion of shilling). At any rate, I hold pretty strong convictions as well, so as I said, I know I am not welcome here.

ANN has a bias? Pot calling the kettle black I guess, especially since your last comment is just a nicer way of saying that you are bias yourself. Again, as I stated in my initial warning, you are perfectly welcome to state your opinion. What you are not welcome to do is be outright beligerent and insult other posters for daring to have an opinion that does not match your own. You were being completely disrespectful and insulting towards other users simply because they didn't agree with you and that is not acceptable. It is perfectly fine for you to have your convictions and even make your points, but the line gets drawn when you feel compelled to start disrespecting and insulting others for theirs.

This isn't difficult to understand. Be respectful and be civil and there isn't a problem. Bias has nothing to do with, it's simply a matter of common decency. At any rate, if you truly feel this is all the result of some bias then there's [url="animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50"]a place to bring that up[/url] if you wish to discuss it further. If you want to keep participating in this thread then by all means do so, but cut the beligerent attitude towards other people and understand that not everyone is going to agree with your opinions, and those opinions are just your opinions.

Can't argue with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
stealthMomo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well then, as I believe the actual topic of the thread is the Spring 2012 season...

I had the pleasure, this morning, of watching:

Sankarea 05 - which is becoming a truly interesting take on "zombie-love". I still hope that drunk-mom and pedo-dad both get eaten before this is all over Anime smile

Sakamichi no Apollon 04 - Oncoming love quadrangle, and depicted more realistically than a typical dating-sim-based anime. Pay attention and you'll learn something about jazz too.

AKB0048 01 - Not... what I was expecting. Jury is still out on this one. I'll give anything at least 3 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
A good ADR director and translator can probably work around such oddities and do a decent job. I don't really watch dubs, so I wouldn't know and could compare, but I would assume that could be the case sometimes.

They'd probably have to do a lot of work in certain cases (there's really no way I can see Daisy from Sket Dance working in a dub, her speech gimmick would sound really awkward in English)

Other cases they tend to do no work at all, they leave onii-chan as "big bro" which sounds fairly awkward. Especially in scenes like that scene in Clannad .

Quote:
Has any dubbed show figured out a way to get around something like that?

I don't really watch dubs, but I know K-ON has lots of things like this, so anyone who's seen K-ON's dub could tell you how they handled it, but every time I've asked I've never gotten a response so I have no idea.

RyanSaotome wrote:
TitanXL isn't really a troll or anything. People just view him as one since he has differing opinions from the majority here and isn't afraid to speak them, which often causes people to respond to him. If he talked the exact same way, yet loved artsy/westernized anime, nobody would have a problem with him.

Since when do I hate "westernized anime"? Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite series, as is I'm not sure where people got that from.

Unless you mean westernized as in "Americanized dub" anime, then alright, fair point, which reminds me...

RyanSaotome wrote:
ANN does have a bias, but all forums/websites do. Out of the 3 main forums I go to for anime (/a/, MAL and ANN), its the one that is the most "Western/mainstream anime" leaning. MAL is kinda inbetween Otaku and Western, and /a/ is like all the way on the opposite side of the spectrum from ANN.

Though I don't really have a problem with it. People like what they like, and people of a similar mind will generally go to specific forums where others have the same tastes.

Calling /a/ the end of the otaku spectrum is.. no. They're actually pretty western-focused from what I've seen. I've seen far more otaku forums than them. I remember I mentioned Gally in a thread once and people were confused, then someone said "You mean Alita" and the whole thread exploded into trolling on if American dub names was better or Japanese ones. If it was really otkau, I doubt many people would even know or care about the dub names for shows.

Plus it's an anonymous forum; meaningful discussion is impossible to nurture and flourish under those circumstances. It's already hard enough to find it elsewhere when people have to be held accountable for their posts with forum handles. Take those away and it's just pure anarchy ruled by those who troll the most and have the most free time.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I quite agree that Dragon695 is another tedious soap-boxer and I'd love to see his knuckles rapped, too. I despise all soap-boxers regardless of whatever their dumb little hobby-horse might be.

This is so rich coming from you.

As for TitanXL, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not, especially when it comes to being a fan of so-called kids anime. I especially appreciate his views when the usual One Piece circle jerking starts.
TitanXL wrote:
superdry wrote:
A good ADR director and translator can probably work around such oddities and do a decent job. I don't really watch dubs, so I wouldn't know and could compare, but I would assume that could be the case sometimes.

They'd probably have to do a lot of work in certain cases (there's really no way I can see Daisy from Sket Dance working in a dub, her speech gimmick would sound really awkward in English)

It's not just Daisy and the speech patterns, there also some technical aspects. I don't know how they would be able to properly handle Switch's voice. especially given the backstory behind it. It works well in Japanese and with the voice synthesis software being used, but would a Funimation or Sentai give the project to a dub studio who would take the time to get it right?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Calling /a/ the end of the otaku spectrum is.. no. They're actually pretty western-focused from what I've seen. I've seen far more otaku forums than them. I remember I mentioned Gally in a thread once and people were confused, then someone said "You mean Alita" and the whole thread exploded into trolling on if American dub names was better or Japanese ones. If it was really otkau, I doubt many people would even know or care about the dub names for shows.

We're talking about a forum where they have giant general topics dedicated to Infinite Stratos and Idolmaster, and you're considered an outsider if you prefer anime that doesn't have cute girls. There may be a few people that like that stuff, but you're generally shunned if you bring it up.

For example, Kids on the Slope topics almost always devolve into people talking about it being "pretentious BL anime that only normal***s would like" and bashing others shows like it.. Yet I've seen nothing but love for shows like Nyarko-San and Acchi Kocchi (outside of the occasional troll who prefers some other moe show this season so they take it out on the more popular ones). Its kinda funny, one of the most common comebacks whenever someone is talking about liking the more mainstream/westernized anime is "Go back to ANN forums", since ANN has a reputation for liking that stuff a lot.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
We're talking about a forum where they have giant general topics dedicated to Infinite Stratos and Idolmaster, and you're considered an outsider if you prefer anime that doesn't have cute girls. There may be a few people that like that stuff, but you're generally shunned if you bring it up.

You're a normal..g if you have not seen hundreds of titles or are not familiar with the in-jokes, but no one picks on you if you like LoGH or Berserk or Bebop.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

You're a normal..g if you have not seen hundreds of titles or are not familiar with the in-jokes, but no one picks on you if you like LoGH or Berserk or Bebop.

Well yeah, legendary titles like that are one thing. But when I say "prefer", I'm talking about the people who always talk about the "Golden Age" before moe took over and how moe sucks and the more mainstream anime is better. And of course the people who are like "Anime is dying because of moe" won't be taken seriously at all. If you start talking like that, you're gonna get ridiculed to no end.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well yeah, legendary titles like that are one thing. But when I say "prefer", I'm talking about the people who always talk about the "Golden Age" before moe took over and how moe sucks and the more mainstream anime is better. If you start talking like that, you're gonna get ridiculed to no end.

Yet such threads are not rare. Along with the "killing the industry" threads. If we simplify the matter down to the "Type A/B" distinction, I don't think there are much less "As" than "Bs".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

For example, Kids on the Slope topics almost always devolve into people talking about it being "pretentious BL anime that only normal***s would like" and bashing others shows like it.. Yet I've seen nothing but love for shows like Nyarko-San and Acchi Kocchi (outside of the occasional troll who prefers some other moe show this season so they take it out on the more popular ones). Its kinda funny, one of the most common comebacks whenever someone is talking about liking the more mainstream/westernized anime is "Go back to ANN forums", since ANN has a reputation for liking that stuff a lot.

You seriously do not get how /a/ works, at all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You seriously do not get how /a/ works, at all.

Do you have some sort of medical condition where a flood of endorphins is released into your system every time you condescend to someone about how much better your understanding of some otaku apocrypha is than theirs?

That's the only explanation I can think of for your behavior. Seriously, everything is "Uh, you don't get it, it's like THIS" with you. Very little else seems to come out of your mouth.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Do you have some sort of medical condition where a flood of endorphins is released into your system every time you condescend to someone about how much better your understanding of some otaku apocrypha is than theirs?

Its not my fault people are wrong!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15