• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Co-Founder Okada Shares Thoughts on Illegal Copying

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well Okada-san ask your boys/girls to include more English sub in their releases like Ghibli and now Bandai Visual and you'll find more people supporting your titles from outside Japan. Especially if the title has an existing English sub like Gunbuster OVAs then it makes no sense not to include it in the BD release which shares the same region as the US.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
so

people who only illegal download anime =
Quote:
someone who claims he never wants to date a girl, but does want to grope women in the train as long as he is not caught.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Pets is probably more accurate than parasites as long as they aren't violating physical property rights to get the material or violating contractual obligations. If an employee is leaking the copies for example it's a serious infraction.

It is still inappropriate to use force in this context (absent force necessary to remove the former employee from the premises if it were required), but prospective employers discriminating against those who were known to have done this would I think deal with the problem sufficiently, provided there were no laws in place against disseminating that information.

Last edited by Xanas on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Toshio Okada wrote:
...comparing this case to someone who claims he never wants to date a girl, but does want to grope women in the train as long as he is not caught.

This is a horrible analogy. Yes, to a certain extent illegal dowloading/copying/distribution is a violation of a creator/licensor's rights, but I feel there is a big difference between an indirect violation, and one which is quite personal, painful and degrading.

Maybe the whole "You don't joke about rape" thing has yet to make its way through the collective conscious of Japan, but, I feel that this comparison is in poor taste.

Maybe a better analogy would be "Saying that you want to move out of your parents' home but yet spending all your money on crap you don't need because you have too much time on your hands due to unemployment" would be better, but somehow, I think that that might hit too close to home for certain fans.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
so

people who only illegal download anime =
Quote:
someone who claims he never wants to date a girl, but does want to grope women in the train as long as he is not caught.

He was making an exaggerated analogy for comic effect, lighten up.

Considering he's talking about people who steal the product that he used to produce for a living, I think on the whole he was being awfully gracious.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't know if he'd agree with the use of the term "steal" based on the way he said what he did. Otherwise he'd be calling them parasites and not pets.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
wow, a refreshing view from someone legitimate in the anime industry. i'll never understand the anger certain anime fans have towards downloaders. i download and buy. my collection of purchased anime is quite huge actually. yet if i mention i downloaded redline, then it's an all out attack on me from certain people who somehow think they are better. waiting years for an official release makes you better? in the end, i buy it just the same as you except i got to enjoy it the day it came out online and I know beforehand i'm buying something that's good. seems to me i'm the smarter one. only in anime some people feel you have to pay for something you've never seen and have no idea you'll even like the least. how silly!
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see someone from industry has realistic look at illiegal streaming and downloading.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
... only in anime some people feel you have to pay for something you've never seen and have no idea you'll even like the least. ...

For over half (and growing) recent anime, there's no need to download bootlegs to try before you buy.

If you are downloading bootlegs for something that is not available other than on disc, well, that's one thing, but if you are downloading stuff that has a free or cheap stream available on the "I don't blind buy" excuse, then I'm hearing {meow}, {meow}, {meow}.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Finally, somebody in a popular industry conveys the proper and realistic way to deal with piracy.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

Finally, somebody in a popular industry conveys the proper and realistic way to deal with piracy.

How is that a realistic way to deal with piracy, my dog keeps me company, some dude who decides that he doesn't need to pay for anything doesn't keep me company. I don't feel pity for these people because a lot of times they can afford anime, they just don't think they should have to pay for it. They have made excuse after excuse trying to justify their actions.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

my dog keeps me company

I think you are taking the analogy beyond his intention. Maybe think of them more like fish, still a pet, but not a companion.

Quote:

I don't feel pity for these people because a lot of times they can afford anime, they just don't think they should have to pay for it.

Individual downloaders each have individual circumstances. "They" isn't a useful term here I don't think. But I don't expect you to feel pity for anyone. That doesn't matter to me one bit.

Quote:

They have made excuse after excuse trying to justify their actions.

This assumes everyone feels they need to "justify" those actions. Many don't believe they are doing something wrong that would need to be "justified." Do I need to justify that I'm breathing?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
maxxjulie wrote:
... only in anime some people feel you have to pay for something you've never seen and have no idea you'll even like the least. ...

For over half (and growing) recent anime, there's no need to download bootlegs to try before you buy.

If you are downloading bootlegs for something that is not available other than on disc, well, that's one thing, but if you are downloading stuff that has a free or cheap stream available on the "I don't blind buy" excuse, then I'm hearing {meow}, {meow}, {meow}.

this, and 90% of the new anime are available on stream for you to preview before you buy it. What hollywood companies let you preview their their movie before you buy the bluray/dvd? play $10 + gas to watch a movie is not preview.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I feel he's being awfully easy on these people calling them "pets". If I were in his position I'd be using some harsher terminology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

And not everything is streaming, not even close, which yes you did mention but there is no need to berate the person, it just detracts from your comment overall

Plus streaming is only as good as the internet connection you have, many people seem to think that Streaming has slowed down downloading, and that's a farce at best, because If I download it, not only am I guaranteed the quality, but I can watch it whenever on almost whatever I want, no goofy player,

That guy had the right idea, and I very much do the same
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10