• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Co-Founder Okada Shares Thoughts on Illegal Copying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
And while we're at it, how many companies got paid for Otaku No Video's incorporation of images from various anime shows? It's clearly not in the context of parody, and barely qualifies as social commentary.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:
Plus, I want anime streaming to eventually reach a format that I can easily watch on my TV. Funimation, ANN, and Crunchyroll need to have psp for the game consoles or smart TVs or .

Crunchyroll has:
Roku- set top box 70-100 dollars, you see shows on your tv.
Boxee box- same thing more expensive

Netflix on both above you will see anime from both funi and ann

...on something that a lot of people actually own.

The best I can do right now is load up the Crunchyroll app on my iPad, then airplay it to my Apple TV. I don't know if the Funimation or Anime Network apps let you do this. I wish ANN's video player had something similar, or ideally just an app for a console (a lot of networks just released apps for the Xbox 360).

But you're right about Netflix, and I've watched whole series on Netflix in very good quality, though almost all are dub-only.

Hulu has a really good selection of anime and drama, but they need to put a stop to that web-only crap.

The ultimate solution right now if you want to stream anime on a TV is to just hook a computer up to your television which I'd like to do sometime this year.

As for movies, a good example of what I'm talking about is Fullmetal Alchemst: The Sacred Star of Milos which you should see advertised on this very site as I type this. Don't see pre-order listings for it on Netflix DVD or iTunes.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
These are tough times, but no one should be stealing things.

However, I'm old enough to remember when people went to Japan and actually bough the big laser disks to make copies on VHS so people could actually see it. Alot stuff didn't get exported due to the legal wrangling going on in Japan. I mean Gundam never came over to US until early 90s and alot got dumbed "dubbed" down.

I been buying anime since they started importing it.
I support the companies that are producing the animes.

However, there are still stuff that is likely NEVER come over to US or anywhere else.

Gundam isn't coming over to the US anymore, what heck are US fans of that series for example is going to do? Go Japan buy the thing and see if worth keeping after watching it for the first time?

I wish they would simicast more offen, treat it like television. Less-quality pictures but people can decide they want series. Heck that how they use to do it back when.

Sorry for the rant. I don't support piracy, but i still like see anime that isn't being sent over.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
So did Okada pay anyone for the unauthorized reproduction of characters and logos in Otaku No Video? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Did Okada care about copying [more like tracing] that Valkyrie dogfight from Macross for Otaku No Video?
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Fans, both paying and non-paying are fans nevertheless even if their are viewing differences.

Paying fans may think they are above non-paying fans because they support the industry by paying for their anime. Non-paying fans may think they are above paying fans because they do not spend all their money on physical products, and thus will likely be more wealthy or buy other things.

I am a paying fan. This being said, I know plenty of non-paying and paying fans. Non-paying fans usually have excuses/reasons why they do not buy. These vary from person to person. The usual excuses that I hear are "anime is too expensive," "why should I support millionaires?" and/or "it is not available here (yet)."

Though I believe the first is very unlikely true unless you are only wanting really expensive/the newest titles. $10-$50 is not that much money in the United States for a complete series.

The second is usually untrue because the companies' employees usually are not making a lot of money, nor are the creators, unless the show did amazingly well. This money is to pay for the many people that help create, market, and distribute the product. It is not like 1-5 people are the only ones getting paid from your purchases. Ever look at the credits of an anime? Each and every one of them must be paid accordingly.

The idea that the anime is not available where you live can be seen as a problem. But over the last 40 years, anime has been distributed over a large number of countries and the selection is more than 10 times of that of 20 years ago. There have been further contributions to get the anime to fans faster. With the use of online streaming services in both Japan and other countries, there should be little complaint. The only problem lies with the inconsistency in online streaming speeds throughout the world. In some places in the United States people still use dial-up connections of 56kbps for internet and in others, fiber-optic connections going more than 15mbps are available.

The reasons why fans buy are usually "I like to watch it anywhere, even without internet," "I like the DVD features(box, collectibles, extras)," and/or "I am supporting the industry."

Even though a fan wants to buy anime for viewing pleasure anywhere, internet connections are improving in both area and speed. Plus, streaming usually contains more titles than what is available in the fan's domestic market for purchase.

DVD features are sometimes a draw for fans. Limited editions especially. The disc with possible dual-language options, interviews, trailers of other anime, a possible figurine/pencil board, and a case to store all this in a nice case.

The ones that do buy anime (physical copies) are indeed supporting the industry, if they are purchasing from a retailer and not an individual unless that individual will be purchasing (in the long run or short run) from a a retailer. But legal streaming fans are also supporting the industry. The fans do not pay online streaming networks for illegally uploaded anime. These people that run the streaming sites have to pay to get anime on their networks. Likewise, anime on Youtube, is somehow supported by ads. The quality is not as good usually, but it is free for the viewer. Downloading does not have such a money making strategy that supports the industry but it can create awareness for anime and/or anime related products like licensed keychains or plushies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
So is Okada going to pay back every license-holder he ripped off to make Otaku No Video and/or Daicon IV? If not, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Dr_Samus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
I work in the video rental industry and I think he is right to a certain extent. The companies are doing it to themselves. Even I find my self downloading shows or movies, ironic hey.

The main reason I do this is because these companies expect me to buy and sell their product onto others but give me no information on what I am selling? I have been in the industry for many years and the 'preview' discs we used to receive are very far and few between. I find myself buying less as how am I supposed to know this is a product my market will want?

In my opinion the companies have no right to "oh, woe is me!" story. And at the end of the day those that don't buy are hurting, me, the middle man, more than the companies. This is what most seem to forget. While I do not advocate piracy, it provide its benefits, those who would otherwise not have bought without first watching. It's one of those things your damned if you do, damned it you don't.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okada then advocated that rather than becoming upset at people who illegally copy, paying fans should feel sympathy and understanding towards them, and consider them "pets, not parasites," with each one of their purchases supporting the opinions of thousands.
Eh, why not? Some people consider rats as pets and even cockroaches, however they usually keep them both in cages under control. Wink
Jacut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
You're a great man, Otaking-sensei (and I mean it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
yu3lora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Others right. More people specially outside Japan will surely purchased your Goods if you'll just include English Sub in your DVD. Though its okay to have an English Dub of it but, more people preferred English Sub than dub.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
I think Okada made his statement because of recent string of arrests involving illegal file transfers and bootlegs. He is asking hardcore paying fans to have open mind on people who do illegal copying, but the economic reality and still-limited market are too great to ignore.

Also he probably doesn't want to see schism between have and have-nots in the Japanese fandom. Having spent several hundred dollars on anime DVDs and/or merchandises brings the fan into an exclusive club. Hardcore fans may feel that someone is not playing fair if he cheats the "system" by copying and distributing exclusive materials on DVD/BD (better picture & sound quality, bonus episode, and etc.) reserved for paying fans.

Maybe Japan wouldn't have to put too much deal on the problem if they can sell $20 worth of merchandise per title to a million people, but that's not the case for late night anime which comprise the majority. It is estimated that only 100,000 people in Japan are core anime fans and most of them living in Tokyo. They need to reach out for wider range of audience. One way to do that is to figure out how to attract talented writers who can develop great characters, not the Chara which is just prefabricated archetypes and designs. (Unfortunately many Moe shows fall into Chara category)

How about other countries? Combined total of the anime convention attendees may exceed hundred thousand, but do all of them fall into as core anime fans who don't mind spending at least $100 worth of anime merchandises of one title that they like? I'm no economist, but with the given estimated fan population, that's how much each fan has to spend to make impression.

Even though foreign fans expressing excitement is greater than Japanese, their purchasing power is nowhere near the excitement. The one reason why Japanese don't put high marketing priority to the U.S. In this business, no matter how much love one expresses, it's the money that talks.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
yu3lora wrote:
Others right. More people specially outside Japan will surely purchased your Goods if you'll just include English Sub in your DVD. Though its okay to have an English Dub of it but, more people who don't buy, but might be persuaded preferred English Sub than dub.
Fixed. Wink
guru_clef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
If only Okada could see how senseless his views were, most downloaders have no interest in buying legitimate copies, I know many who have multiple hard drives filled to capacity with bootlegs that are freely available domestically, nearly all are in paid employment and live with their parents. So explain to a seasoned fan like myself when these people will start paying for something they know they can steal for free?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
guru_clef wrote:
If only Okada could see how senseless his views were, most downloaders have no interest in buying legitimate copies, I know many who have multiple hard drives filled to capacity with bootlegs that are freely available domestically, nearly all are in paid employment and live with their parents. So explain to a seasoned fan like myself when these people will start paying for something they know they can steal for free?
At least his parents feed and water him, like a "pet". Wink

Can a tape worm be considered a pet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10