• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Anime Gets Its Own Dedicated Magazine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Gen be milking that cash cow.

Can't blame him. Madoka praticaly prints money, but it actually deserves it in this case. I wonder how long the magazine will run for.

Not Gen, it's the people at Aniplex, Hakuhodo DY Media Partners and
Hobunsha. (maybe Movic and Nitroplus too) Writers ALMOST NEVER handle marketing of a series they write for even if it's an original project. At most Gen might get a few bucks in royalties and that's a big MAYBE.
NaweG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Odds that anyone will scanlate this? I'd be interested in buying, but by the time you combine my lack of ability to read Kanji with the cost of shipping being more than the magazine itself...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Can't blame him. Madoka praticaly prints money, but it actually deserves it in this case. I wonder how long the magazine will run for.

Hobunsha. (maybe Movic and Nitroplus too) Writers ALMOST NEVER handle marketing of a series they write for even if it's an original project. At most Gen might get a few bucks in royalties and that's a big MAYBE.

Isn't Gen a big name up in Nitro+, though? I mean, I think he's more than a writer there...I'm almost certain he's a pretty high-up exec.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Isn't Gen a big name up in Nitro+, though? I mean, I think he's more than a writer there...I'm almost certain he's a pretty high-up exec.

He was one of the first few members of Nitro+ when it first formed, so he is more important than just a writer to them. And as a highly respected writer in the entire field of anime/games/novels/etc., everyone who hires him pays him well...
But when it comes to side-merchandise, if he's not actually involved in the creation of such merchandise, the most he will get paid is a small royalty. And he's usually not involved in a project unless he is hired to write or supervise it. I'd say that if he's involved in the magazine, it will probably be to supervise the stuff that goes in it to make sure it stays consistent or at least respectable to the original idea.

On that note, products happen in a few possible ways:
1) Creators propose a project to their marketing division. If the creators are highly reliable, or if the idea is highly reliable, the marketers will give them the green-light to make the series. This is how the Madoka Magica anime was proposed. Urobuchi was one of those creators, of course.
2) Marketers decide that they want side-merchandise, so they propose a plan to other merchandise-making companies. Upon agreement, a product is proposed and announced. This is how the Madoka figma line was created. Urobuchi was not involved in this (he had to buy his own figma apparently, too, apparently).
3) Merchandise makers propose a plan to the marketers of the franchise, who then agree or disagree with the plan. The Madoka Magica PSP game was proposed in this way. Urobuchi was not involved in the proposition, but he did join the project later as the main scenario writer and supervisor.

I'm going to guess this magazine is either related to #2 (in order to advertise the movies and side products) or #3 (possibly even a joint effort between different companies whose products will be in the magazine to advertise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2