• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Doraemon DVDs Recalled Due to 'Condom' Written Onscreen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:

That's slightly different though. The nude picture didn't show in the original theatrical release, but was added in the first editions of the VHS tapes. This is different because the word "condom" was apparently included in the very original episode, and not added later.

No, it was on the original camera negatives itself, I know a few who told me that personally.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
At any rate, it doesn't really matter when the offending elements were introduced; what matters is how the company reacts when informed: if they refuse to change it, there'd be a major ruckus because ultimately we're talking about a kids' show; by replacing the offending frames, they can avoid damage to their reputation by blaming some prankster and playing innocent(after all, the change quite literally has zero impact on the show itself). Simply put, it's just good business sense.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
The sentence in question appears to be "負荷がコンドームの時", preceded by what looks like "交尾回路で…電". So, "The (electrical?) load is (at?) the time of the condom" and something about a "copulating circuit".

This sounds like an amazing invention, or perhaps it's touching on robocat reproduction? Why isn't this a documentary?
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So it's basically like Lion King and "sex". Laughing

Naww, it was spelling out sfx, or special effects, since it was a special effects animation. ('but it was in the da vinci code it must be true!')
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck it there expecting people to see an extra line.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
The sentence in question appears to be "負荷がコンドームの時", preceded by what looks like "交尾回路で…電". So, "The (electrical?) load is (at?) the time of the condom" and something about a "copulating circuit".

This sounds like an amazing invention, or perhaps it's touching on robocat reproduction? Why isn't this a documentary?

Seeing it in that context, I'd just as easily dismiss it as bad engrish.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hahaha.......... Animators do these all the time. They can get pretty bored and have a sense of humor too! Laughing

An infamous urban legend concerning Jessica Rabbit springs quite readily to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Seems like it, I'm still not sure what Astrid Lindgren had to to with this assignment being written out.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

It might be just nonsensical, but dismissing Japanese phrases for their poor English may also not be above reproach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3