• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Xenoblade Chronicles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
ANN seems to have been doing a lot of videogame reviews lately.

I've been looking forward to playing the game. It is hard to go to playing the Wii nowdays with how under powered it is (skyward sword made me remember how bad 480p looks on a modern tv), but Xenoblade should be one final reason to play it before moving on to the WiiU.
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. I haven't finished the game, but I agree with nearly all of your points of criticism.

One thing about the characters that amuses me is their honest and straight forward desire for revenge. They don't question this desire nor do they let it consume them. Perhaps I've been watching the wrong TV shows and playing the wrong games but this, "Yeah, we're out here to kill them" attitude feels refreshing in this JRPG. Also, this somewhat casual thirst for blood fits with the MMORPG designs of killing thousands of monsters for character growth points.

Perhaps it's because I've gotten used to it in Tales games, but I'm not too bothered by the constant battle chatter. The same voice sample is used for specific character arts so it is useful in knowing what your party is doing.
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I've been looking forward to playing the game. It is hard to go to playing the Wii nowdays with how under powered it is (skyward sword made me remember how bad 480p looks on a modern tv), but Xenoblade should be one final reason to play it before moving on to the WiiU.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword looked great for me on a big Vizio TV. I guess I'm just tolerant of the Wii's capabilities.

Coming from a person who currently plays stuff like Battlefield 3 on a nice PC as well as Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles is consistently amazing me with the beauty of its graphics. Sure there are some really straight geometry and muddy textures, but they are eclipsed tenfold by the next vista or dense area.

The review mentions the great heights of the game's world and rightly so. There a lot of high places in the game for you to climb to and perhaps fall off. I've had many fun moments of leaping off a platform and hoping to land in a pool of deep water.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me (I'm still not used to Wii controls), and the lack of any kind of real direction... it was just sending me on sidequests everywhere and didn't even tell me where they were. I prefer a linear story driven experience.

I quit when spoiler[Fiora was killed. She was the only reason I was still playing because I adored her voice (Japanese obviously), but once she was gone I lost all motivation to continue.]
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me (I'm still not used to Wii controls), and the lack of any kind of real direction... it was just sending me on sidequests everywhere and didn't even tell me where they were. I prefer a linear story driven experience.

If you want linearity, just go directly to the red flag on the map, it takes you to the next plot point. There's nothing stoping you from skipping all the optional stuff and beelining it to the next part of the story.

And as for sidequests...all I can say is explore. The game rewards exploration, literally (it gives you experience for finding new areas).

The only trouble I had with sidequests was getting collectible items to spawn, but if you search enough it usually isn't a problem.

Half the time when I started a sidequest I actually ended up finishing it instantly because I already had the crap they were asking for in my possession.

And as for the part you quit at...well, spoiler[don't be disappointed, that's all I can say ] Wink

Last edited by Shenl742 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me.

This is actually why I stopped playing. I got about half way or 3/4 into the game and never bother to finish since Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Tales of Grace F came out for the PS3. It just basically told me that RPGs and specifically JRPGs are not fit to be on the Wii (and in fact fit to only be on the PS3).

It's a shame too since I really enjoyed the other Xeno games, but I couldn't really push myself to finish this one.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me.

This is actually why I stopped playing. I got about half way or 3/4 into the game and never bother to finish since Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Tales of Grace F came out for the PS3. It just basically told me that RPGs and specifically JRPGs are not fit to be on the Wii (and in fact fit to only be on the PS3).

It's a shame too since I really enjoyed the other Xeno games, but I couldn't really push myself to finish this one.

Yeah, pretty much the whole time I was thinking to myself "I really wish this was on PS3". The game itself seems solid, but its just really help back by the system it is on. If it was a HD game with modern graphics and a dual shock controller, I could see it really being amazing. But constantly having the wii mote danging everywhere is really annoying, and the button layout on the classic controller just doesn't feel right... and all the jaggies in the game remind me of the PS2 days.
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, does the American version of Xenoblade have dual audio, i.e. English audio and Japanese audio (with English subtitle), or not, since the whole review didn't mention it? I believe the European version does.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Well, does the American version of Xenoblade have dual audio, i.e. English audio and Japanese audio (with English subtitle), or not, since the whole review didn't mention it? I believe the European version does.

Yes it does
MH Knights

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me (I'm still not used to Wii controls).

The Classic controller is almost a must have for this game. Being able to use the right stick for camera control make the game a lot better.

TC-man wrote:

Actually the game has British and Japanese audio options.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I quit when spoiler[Fiora was killed. She was the only reason I was still playing because I adored her voice (Japanese obviously), but once she was gone I lost all motivation to continue.]

spoiler[By me responding to that, this is almost an indirect spoiler, but I would say keep playing.] So I'm using spoiler tags just in case.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
ANN seems to have been doing a lot of videogame reviews lately.

Yep, get ready to see a lot more of them. We'll only be doing Japanese games and games that are of specific interest to anime fans, but lots more of these are on the way.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
MH Knights wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I found it kinda disappointing myself. I stopped about 6 hours in, mainly due to the controls bothering me (I'm still not used to Wii controls).
The Classic controller is almost a must have for this game. Being able to use the right stick for camera control make the game a lot better.
I haven't actually stuck the game in the system yet as I'm trying to finish Tales of Graces f first (he says knowing full well it'll be at least another month before that happens), but I would assume you can use a Gamecube controller as well, correct?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
MH Knights wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I haven't actually stuck the game in the system yet as I'm trying to finish Tales of Graces f first (he says knowing full well it'll be at least another month before that happens), but I would assume you can use a Gamecube controller as well, correct?

Sadly you can't... which sucks since I vastly prefer the Gamecube controller to the regular Classic Controller (which is the one I have). Its pretty disappointing since the other main games I've played on my Wii, SSBB, Arc Rise Fantasia and Fire Emblem 10, all supported Gamecube controller.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Well...that sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2