• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Saber Teeth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl taling to a tree is a little much.

I hadn't even noticed FUNimation even rescued Tales of Phantasia. And here I was having seen rips of the whole series on a site that shall remain nameless to preview it (In case it didn't get picked back up).

I don't see why it had to get such a harsh review, though (I've never played the original video game so I wouldn't know how that is). It's an ADAPTATION, not an imitation. Do you REALLY want to watch the same story you've already played before?

I've actually played some of the Tales of Phantasia games, but I'd only watch this because I want to see how diffrent this is from the game or see how the voice actors sound. I completly agree with Bamboo though, four episodes is barely enough and probably won't make sense.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The Phantasia anime was okay. For fans it's bliss pure and simple, but I guess on ANN it's just another ho-hum pass. Incidentally, at least Phantasia's anime follows the game's plot. Anyone see Tales of Eternia's anime? Ugh, total off-topic plot with little to connect to the game's story.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I have really never been able to comprehend the praise for Claymore.

It looks awful, with its animation largely outsourced to Korean studios. The Claymores themselves, with the notable exception of Teresa, all look like weird emaciated alien-human female hybrids. Clare is thoroughly and completely unlikable. The plot brings nothing new to the table.

I just don't get it at all. The episode at the very end of the Teresa flashback has a pretty decent fight in it and really that arc itself is a decided step above everything else in the seires (largely because it actually features a worthy female lead), but other than that all I see is a third tier shounen with ugly art, bad characters, and a middling story.

Is it just because we're starved for Euro-style medieval fantasy series of late? Grasping for powerful female role models (Clare isn't one)?

I understand this is all subjective and people have their opinions, but the vast majority of the time I can at least see where the other side is coming from even if I disagree. With Claymore, I just don't see much of anything redeeming at all. It's like people watched a completely different show than I did.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
I'm a hardcore fan of the Tales series of games in general....and I didn't notice anything wrong with their weapons in TOP. I actually found it to be quite a charming adaptation, including adding in some cute relationship dialogue between my fave couple Chester and Arche. Hmmmm.... not too shabby in my personal opinion, far better then what Star Ocean managed in the most painful 26 episodes of my life. All in all I'm still happy with TOP, Symphonia, Abyss, and heaven help me for saying this even the Eternia anime are all worth watching if your a gamer. I can how ever see where some people just don't find time to fit gaming into their schedule, those folks would hate this one.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
I have really never been able to comprehend the praise for Claymore.

Well, at least the art style is completely subjective. I really really like it, so that's one point for Claymore in my book. I also like Clare and the overall look of the Claymores - if you dislike her as well as the art/design of the Claymores a lot, it already makes it pretty difficult to like the series as a whole. ^^

The story isn't perfect, but still manages to set itself apart from the typical 0815 shonen series. No cheesy talking, no cheesy, way too long fights and tons of special attacks. Yagi doesn't hesitate to kill important characters, which keeps a certain suspense at all times. And the setting and design of course are special. While it *is* still a shonen, it's still a special one to me =)
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry if this is a little off-topic but, jumpin' on the He-Man bandwagon a bit, my brother and I have collected just about everything that BCI Eclipse has put out for old cartoons. This includes all of He-Man (yes, even the New Adventures of He-Man and She-Ra), Bravestarr, Defenders of the Earth, Dungeons & Dragons, Prince Valiant, Cops, and a bunch of others that I can't remember. I don't care what anyone says about them being hilariously stupid or whatever, I actually find them just plain ol' fun to watch. Gets me back to my childhood, no lame adult jadedness included. I don't have to watch things from when I was kid with utter disdain to feel good about watching it.

Same goes for Saber Rider. The dub was mediocre Voltron type fare, but hey...it's a kids show and it sure beats the crap outta the stuff they pass off as kids entertainment today (c'mon...the Doodlebops? Really?). The original version of Saber Rider (Star Musketeer Bismarck) is actually really great mid-80's mecha stuff, akin to Dancougar or even some of Sunrise's stuff of the same era. But, the first thing that stands out to me, is Studio Pierrot's absolutely gorgeous animation on the series. This is evident in the race scene between Shinji Hikari (Fireball) and Bill Wilcox (Colt) in the original first episode.

Switching gears for a sec, Tales of Phantasia was actually quite enjoyable. I'd never played the first game in the series but, was surprised at how well done the anime version was. It didn't have the cheap feeling of most video game OVA's (Tekken, Toh Shin Den or even Panzer Dragoon). It felt more along the lines of the Ys OVA's, which I personally enjoyed a lot.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember any kids ever watching Star Saber back in the '80s. It must have been a flop, or perhaps it didn't air in my area.

I'd just as soon they skip Saber Rider and go straight to subbed eps of Bismark.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
Actually guys,

I thought the 2002 He-Man (remake) series was the best of the whole lot.

The animation was better, the character designs were updated but still seemed familiar, and the voice acting and dialogue wasn't anywhere near as campy as the original 1980s series. Funny thing is that the voice actor behind Max Sterling (Cam Clarke aka Jimmy Flinders) was the voice of Prince Adam/He-Man in the remake!

Oh yeah, the 2002 series was awesome, too bad CN killed it...

CN didn't kill it - Mattel did. The MotU series was getting decent ratings, but the toys weren't selling. So Mattel stopped paying for the production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3