• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Auditors Concerned for IMAGI's Funds for Films after Astro Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
... And the worldwide credit crunch rears its ugly head again!

Seriously, this is nothing new for Asian-based animation production companies.

When Japan was still producing tons of direct video OVAs, some of the longer ones could take a long while to finish if they weren't based on a famous ongoing series (Macross, Gundam) and didn't have the backing of a strong creditor.

I believe it took around 7 years to finish the 1990s version of Giant Robo because production would start and then stop as each segment of the series got finished and went to market. They were literally waiting for money from the sales to ramp up production and complete the next episode!

I don't know if IMAGI will survive to be honest. Lots of companies come and go after producing only one or two films.

The company that produced Windaria no longer exists and they were lucky to finish two films! Likewise for another production company that worked on the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA series.

Just because you have a hit series or movie doesn't mean a company will be around in 20 years.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
I was kind of looking forward to Gatchaman!

Hope they can still get it done somehow...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy was probably more expensive than planned, especially with the change of directors. But unlike DB: Evolution, it actually looks like it's worth seeing, so I hope it becomes a hit.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
And I was looking forward to Gatchaman. Crying or Very sad

Hope it gets made.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It's probably for the best. If Astro Boy is a hit in theaters and on home video, then that may increase the likelihood of new investors stepping to the plate to fund IMAGI's next effort. But it may need to be a the kind of "hit" that Kung-Fu Panda and WALL-E were this past year.

I hope to see the Gatchaman film be completed too. So, good luck, IMAGI; don't be greedy or stupid in '09.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Dang, Gatchaman was looking awesome! Astro Boy looks great too! I'm definately gonna check it out in theatres!
animefan1254

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Astro Boy was probably more expensive than planned, especially with the change of directors. But unlike DB: Evolution, it actually looks like it's worth seeing, so I hope it becomes a hit.

that but also the money needed to make it. supplies, tools, any repairs needed, depreciation on the items over a year old etc. these times are hurting everyone and everything in its path.

[quote="Bob Loblaw]So, good luck, IMAGI; don't be greedy or stupid in '09.[/quote]

correct! got to be smart and wise what they do with their cash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1