• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Carl and Theron's Best of 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Geass R1 just didn't have the impact as it did in Japan...R2 was released too soon and the fact that R2 was really not great makes it even worse. They should have just waited one year like in Japan. I never liked Moribito so I will not comment aside from me seeing a lot of Moribito bias in other categories... Gurren Lagann was only meh to me, really didn't like the animation.

Regarding opening theme....I thought RxJ has not been released in the US yet...or is that category open to all series?

Quote:
who are you speaking for excactly? cause it certainly isn't "most people" (although Gundam 00 does suck)

Fail much? Gundam 00 is decent, but doesn't suck....and definitely not to the level of fail of Gundam Seed Destiny.

Quote:
What series that wasn't liscensed could be best of 08? Code Geass R2 sucked and Gundam 00 season 2 is still only half way over. The only series that I could think of was Soul Eater but most people think its even worse that R2.

My only problem was the Euphemia scene winning best scene just because it was unintentionally hilarious, and the Kamina scene was much better simply because the ending was completely subtle and works much better than Taniguchi, and Okouchi having Euphemia, and Lelouch basically mug for the camera.

Geass R2 is long licensed...Series that wasn't licensed...Macross Frontier or Ga-Rei -Zero- in my book Razz and Soul Eater is licensed.

As for the Euphie scene...that's why it was the was most memorable scene...I rewatched it via Japanese dub after seeing the english one Anime hyper...what would have been perfect was if Rie Tanaka played Euphy....then the "demotivator" box would have been made of epic win.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Regarding opening theme....I thought RxJ has not been released in the US yet...or is that category open to all series?

article wrote:
(And yes, Romeo X Juliet can sneak in for consideration since its first couple of episodes streamed on Funimation's Web site starting in late December.)

Also, hurrah for Balsa as best character!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
who are you speaking for excactly? cause it certainly isn't "most people" (although Gundam 00 does suck)

I agree, but then you go on to say 00 sucks. Blasphemer! Razz

Anyway, Theron and Carl made great -- albeit obvious, but what can you do if some shows are just that awesome? -- choices for the best ofs this year. TTGL, Flag, Moribito, Black Lagoon, Aria, are all fantastic shows. Episode 22 of CG deserves its nomination too, although nothing tops the cliffhanger in my opinion. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is also a shoe-in, I'd say, although a 2007 one for me.

As for next year, I'm betting that Darker Than BLACK shows up in the best of dub category, if not elsewhere.

One more thing regarding this year's best series nominations: it's a shame that neither Theron nor Carl have a PS3. Hopefully, that will change next year Wink
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
They should have just waited one year like in Japan.

I see no honest-to-god, non-facetious positive to that, but they could well have dubbed the entire series first.

Quote:
Gurren Lagann was only meh to me, really didn't like the animation.

I've never been a huge fan of that animation style, but I think the quality per se was good to great all the way through. Even the much maligned episode four wasn't that bad, just a little too different.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I think Tokyo Majin should get a mention for Funi's Flub of the Year too- while it may not have had as many volumes out, they made the boxset cut 1 episode off from the single discs- meaning if you want episode 14, you still have to get the part 1 set. Not very nice- I'm just glad I looked into it before buying the singles on clearance, or I'd be very peeved.

I was not aware of this (that's one series I tried but didn't follow out) or I would have included it, too.

bglassbrok wrote:
Well, they still have a ways to go on that sainthood yet ... Kanon 5 is still sitting in eventually-land because some copies leaked out and folks who bought Shana on singles are missing the OVA (and precious box.)

Um, this volume did get released into stores sometime back in early June. That's when I bought it, anyway.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

That was explained in the article, but to reiterate: at least two episodes of R x J were made available on Funimation's Video Site before the end of last year - probably more, since the sub versions of eps 1-8 are now available there. Since it's an official company site, that counts as legal distribution.

Big Hed wrote:
As for next year, I'm betting that Darker Than BLACK shows up in the best of dub category, if not elsewhere.

Seems unlikely at this point. The first volume's dub was good but not spectacular.

Quote:
One more thing regarding this year's best series nominations: it's a shame that neither Theron nor Carl have a PS3. Hopefully, that will change next year Wink

That would require me to actually be making enough money to pay my bills. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And I really doubt removing 9 minutes worth of content will have any visible impact on the bitrate/overall quality, at least no impact visible to the general population beyond the most ardent videophiles.

Considering that the OP and ED usually account for a larger than normal portion of data, removing those 9 minutes might have a noticeable difference to the actual quality. Though you are very correct in the fact that a large majority don't care either way.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Seems unlikely at this point. The first volume's dub was good but not spectacular.

Aw, really? I thought the dub had a very natural feel to it. Guess I'll see what else turns up particularly well next year.

Key wrote:
That would require me to actually be making enough money to pay my bills. Razz

Ah, indeed. Sony ain't cheap Razz
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
as usual, very little decent taste from aNN staff
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
as usual, very little decent taste from aNN staff

I think an explanation on this comment is definitely in order. If you disagree, what do you disagree about? What should have been picked instead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Also, hurrah for Balsa as best character!

I'll second that, her and Clare are rockin' the anime heroine realm! Cool

As for Flag, I just really couldn't get into it. It was the choice of cinematography, after 3 episodes of seeing everything through an awkward camera lens my eyes began to burn and I had to shut it off. If it were just a few scenes per episode that were like that, then it wouldn't have been a problem, but every minute like that? Errr, no.

And yes, Strawberry Panic was my guilty pleasure of '08 as well. But I still say that it had a few momments that sparkled; spoiler[the scene of Shizuma and Nagisa at the house in the rain when Shizuma's story is revealed] was good despite some somewhat overzealous music. And even if that final scene was a rip-off, it worked for the show. Still a guilty pleasure at best, but at least it didn't turn out to be another Shuffle! Mad

And if fansubs were going to be included, then one of the flabs of the year would be the ending to Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka, and I know that I'm not the only one in that camp Razz ...
hiatusinc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of your picks. However you guys really need a female perspective on things. I consider it rather urgent.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
They do have at least two female reviewers that I know of, most likely more, just none of them did this article. The Shelf Life writer is female...
kj_4247

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
I was waiting for this article, the one from last year was a huge resource for me. THANK YOU!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
AnimEigo tried removing duplicate openings and endings from their initial run of Kimagure Orange Road DVD's, with a high amount of anime message board backlash, so they had to recall the sets and issue new ones with the opening and ending credits for each episode intact. Some other early anime DVD's, like the first Magic Knight Rayearth series, had the opening and ending credit sequences stored in a separate part of the disk from the episodes themselves, making the laser jump back and forth, which was a functional but not smooth solution. I'm a fan of keeping the credits intact, for a breather between episodes.

Anyhow, I don't know whether or not I should be disappointed that Lucky Star didn't warrant a mention, if just for having the craziest opening song. I'm sure that, if it had been mentioned, it would probably have been for some kind of backhanded category, like "most pander-riffic series", especially because of how the deluxe editions come with the school uniform-print T-shirts in XL size, obviously meant to be worn by somewhat portly male otaku. (Though I personally refuse to wear them, because I'm only moderately obnoxious an otaku, and also because they're one X too small for me to wear.)
kj_4247

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
AnimEigo tried removing duplicate openings and endings from their initial run of Kimagure Orange Road DVD's, with a high amount of anime message board backlash, so they had to recall the sets and issue new ones with the opening and ending credits for each episode intact. Some other early anime DVD's, like the first Magic Knight Rayearth series, had the opening and ending credit sequences stored in a separate part of the disk from the episodes themselves, making the laser jump back and forth, which was a functional but not smooth solution. I'm a fan of keeping the credits intact, for a breather between episodes.

Anyhow, I don't know whether or not I should be disappointed that Lucky Star didn't warrant a mention, if just for having the craziest opening song. I'm sure that, if it had been mentioned, it would probably have been for some kind of backhanded category, like "most pander-riffic series", especially because of how the deluxe editions come with the school uniform-print T-shirts in XL size, obviously meant to be worn by somewhat portly male otaku. (Though I personally refuse to wear them, because I'm only moderately obnoxious an otaku, and also because they're one X too small for me to wear.)

One thing to keep in mind is that we're talking about DBZ here, maybe this approach is more appropriate for some series more than others
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6