• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - For God So Loved The Laserdisc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also because video tape was based on a electro magnetic concept it is naturally susceptible to degradation from the Earth's electro magnetic field, the same one that points your compass north, so anyone who buried a "time capsule" of their high school graduation of 1972 for 100 years thinking it would be just as high resolution as say a 35MM film of 100 years, were sadly misguided because even if they buried the tape deck to play it back on in 2072. I doubt there will be enough discernable information on the tape to see apart from white noise and glitches.

More likely to be a point of failure would be the medium used for binding the metallic magnetic particles to the plastic tape. A secondary concern would be possible embrittlement of the base material itself.

Flipping of the magnetic domains or loss of magnetism would be the least of my worries in this scenario. Keep in mind the oldest magnetic recording (from a wire recorder) dates back over 100 years at this point, and is still viable.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah there goes Brian, with his usual prognostication that physical media is gonna be gone forever and all we'll get is streaming. I hope that in 30 years when there's still hard copy being made that I'll care enough to laugh at him. Heck, I hope I'll still be around in 30 years!
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The "Hey Answerman!" column this week seemed tailor-made to anger me.

First a minor complaint:
Quote:
And the other thing I want to point out is - how much better, really, is the ending of, say, Ranma ½ the anime versus Ranma ½ the manga? The anime has a bunch of crappy filler before it, BUT THE MANGA ENDS ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. The characters realize their wacky antics will continue until forever, CREDITS.

There are a lot of things the manga's ending does better than the anime's. just off the top of my head spoiler[Ryoga gets a real girlfriend, changing the dynamic between him and Ranma from sworn enemies to friendly rivals, Ranma's mother learns about his curse and accepts him as a "man among men", allowing them to grow closer, and Ranma and Akane finally admit their true feelings for each other (though admittedly they'd still die before telling one another how they feel directly)]. Though I admit the last minute or two of the anime and the last page of the manga are almost identical, the way in which these endings were conveyed and recieved were vastly different from one another... at least in my opinion.

Now for my bigger gripe:
Quote:
I think the big question here is - in 60 years, won't everything be digital anyway? In much the same way that it's kind of impossible to hook up a Fairchild Channel F to a modern HDTV, I can't really fathom a future where we can watch the original Pioneer Tenchi Muyo! DVDs on our Super TVs in 2072.

STOP F$@#ING SAYING THIS KIND OF GARBAGE!!! I am so sick to death of everyone talking about how sometime in the near future all my CDs, DVDs and books will be completely useless and all my favorite media will only be available on some f%&ing tablet or smart phone (okay, maybe I can read my books regardless, but still). This column in particular has been rather vehement in the intonation of this notion as gospel, and the fact is its not! Does this mean I'm some backwards thinker who believes digital media isn't the future? Of course not. I know full well that digital media will eventually become the dominant format for watching, listening to, and reading media. But do I think it will completely replace all forms of physical media? Absolutely not, in the near future or ever!
Here's my reasoning. First off, outside of wax cylinders and formats that lost their war for dominance (Beta and HD DVD for example), I can't think of any form of physical media that I can't still use if I want. Just by making a quick trip to the local Target I can pick up a walk-man, a cassette recorder, or even a record player. All these devices are centered around physical media that became obsolete decades ago, yet they are still available, and with the proper extension cables I can connect all of these to my modern HDTV. And while it may be true that Answerman's Fairchild Channel F game system won't work on a modern TV (yes, I had to look up what a Farichild Channel F was on wikipedia), that's still only part of a very small selection of technology that became so old and unused that there was no longer any logic in maintaining it. Any form of physical media that has reached a certain unquantifiable level of ubiquity has never gone completely out of use, and that brings me to my second point...
I am 26 years old. I use an iPod but as much as possible, I make sure all of my music comes from CDs. Beyond those few songs I had no choice but to obtain through digital means, I own no digital media, and I never will. The why to this is a complicated mess of digital licenses that aren't universal and the potential for censorship that comes with fully updateable media, but the point is I don't consider myself an extraordinary individual and therefore I have to assume there are others besides me who feel the same way I do about digital media. As long as we are around physical media will not die. It may end up relegated to the far corners of the internet, but that's not the same as disappearing entirely. I guess this does mean I should at least amend my claim: physical media may die completely some day, but it won't happen until all of us are dead and buried.
Finally, just as Answerman said, not everything will make the jump from physical media to digital. Does this mean the fans of these TV shows will simply accept that they're out of luck? Those who care enough will find a way to maintain their ability to watch these shows no matter what it takes. I myself have created ISOs of all my Gankutsuou DVDs and stored them on my hard drive (its not digital media if I created it from a physical source and have full control over it). Unless Microsoft finds a way to block virtual disc drives (why they would even want to I have no idea) I will always have a way to watch my favorite anime series again and again, and if that method becomes unsustainable I'll come up with something else. Until everything that everyone could ever want exists in digital media, physical media will continue to exist.
I suppose that's everything I had to say on this subject (or if it isn't I'm all angered out now, so whatever). One last bit of business though:

st_owly wrote:
notazaku wrote:

I do seem to remember an anime ending with two characters about to fight/kill eachother, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Now that's a pretty bad way to end a show.

X/1999 maybe?

The anime ends conclusively. It's the manga that was never completed. The movie also ends conclusively, though that ending is as awful as the rest of the movie.

Addendum:
Sailor S wrote:
Ah there goes Brian, with his usual prognostication that physical media is gonna be gone forever and all we'll get is streaming. I hope that in 30 years when there's still hard copy being made that I'll care enough to laugh at him. Heck, I hope I'll still be around in 30 years!

Damn! While I was writing this someone else summed up all my raging in a single calm, concise statement. My hats off to you ma'am... or sir. Don't want to be sexist.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
All I'll say on the physical vs. digital media debate is this: If you only offer me a digital copy, I'll pirate it. I'm not paying for something if I don't physically own it, nor am I going to reward a company with my money for going against everything I believe in for physical ownership.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Of course physical media has to stick around. How else will the anime industry survive? Crazy otaku can't buy fifty copies of an mp4 and take a picture of the mound of loot to post on their blogs. You need DVD & blu-ray cases for that.

Also, Funimation's business plan would be doomed. Only one release of every show? No eternal gravy train of DBZ?

(Little help here... got this tongue stuck in my cheek...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
All I'll say on the physical vs. digital media debate is this: If you only offer me a digital copy, I'll pirate it. I'm not paying for something if I don't physically own it, nor am I going to reward a company with my money for going against everything I believe in for physical ownership.

I can see doing subscriptions for unlimited viewership streaming, but I don't think I'd ever pay to download. This is video we're talking, of course. Audio is completely different, that you can take on the go and re-listen to multiple times. Video is something I'd prefer to do statically, meaning I'm going to want the best experience and quality. Download to own doesn't really provide what I'm looking for in that sense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
It is not only anime endings that finish poorly or run out of money, time and interest, or fan appeal. Many manga series have bad endings that are just as frustrating. Negima anyone?
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
I have no doubt there will always be people (like myself) who will be willing to pay premium prices to have a high-quality physical posession over a limited-access download or a video stream, and I equally imagine that there will be people that will try and fulfil these wants in exchange for money.

in regards to format changes, people still keep special collections of video cassettes for movies and television shows (including anime) that never got a release on DVD, and until a new format perfectly duplicates the entirety of the movie collection available on DVD for the new format, there will still be DVD afficionados that will complain how the new format never got some particular release or other.
Rambergini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Wow! There is at least one other person in the world who likes UPOTTE! I've never seen anything positive written about this show, EVER. I catch myself laughing out loud during every episode, and was becoming concerned that I was going to be the only one. The usual complaints about it are always; creepy relationship with the teacher, and girls as guns is silly.
Why is it so weird for a teenager to have a crush on an adult? The teacher is not the one having these aroused feelings, it's the girl. Why do people get a child molester vibe from this?
The "girls as guns makes no sense" arguement...really? Is this even being taken as a serious statement? Now if people just said that they didn't like guns and didn't want to watch an anime like that, it would make more sense.
So, Walw6pK4Alo thank you for being the one other person out there who actually likes this show. I agree with you that it is very informative and funny.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
07241988 wrote:
It is not only anime endings that finish poorly or run out of money, time and interest, or fan appeal. Many manga series have bad endings that are just as frustrating. Negima anyone?

Yeah, the whole timeskip then backwards timeskip the timeskip was just.......bad. Also, it left numerous plotholes unresolved.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think Josh might be on to something with his "everyone likes breasts" theory

Yup. Took a lot of time and research to come to that conclusion. I think my hypothesis is mostly accurate though.

=3.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
I know that it has been said several times already, but I too am among the believers that physical media is never going to die out completely. Will we potentially reach a point where the majority of the population owns next to no physical media and the only people that do are collectors? Quite possibly. However, that small population of collectors still constitutes the existence of physical media.

As for me, I'm one of those guys that will almost never purchase digital copies. Why? I'm an otaku. I don't care if no one else cares about my posts of my growing collection of books, games, and DVDs (not just limited to anime and manga); I think it's cool, so I want my physical copies.

The only time I'll settle for a digital only copy is when there is literally no other way for me to get it; and most of those instances have been video games. Anime and manga? Hmm... I can't say that I approve of piracy, but I can certainly understand why some people would choose piracy over download to own. I might just suck it up if that's the only method available... but it's easily just as likely that I'd just pass it up completely.

Digital media is cool I think it's a great idea that could be the future of entertainment for the majority of the population, but I seriously doubt that physical media is ever going to completely disappear. It will just become very, very expensive.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also because video tape was based on a electro magnetic concept it is naturally susceptible to degradation from the Earth's electro magnetic field, the same one that points your compass north, so anyone who buried a "time capsule" of their high school graduation of 1972 for 100 years thinking it would be just as high resolution as say a 35MM film of 100 years, were sadly misguided because even if they buried the tape deck to play it back on in 2072. I doubt there will be enough discernable information on the tape to see apart from white noise and glitches.

More likely to be a point of failure would be the medium used for binding the metallic magnetic particles to the plastic tape. A secondary concern would be possible embrittlement of the base material itself.

Flipping of the magnetic domains or loss of magnetism would be the least of my worries in this scenario. Keep in mind the oldest magnetic recording (from a wire recorder) dates back over 100 years at this point, and is still viable.
Wire is more resilient than rust stuck to cellophane, and yes that is susceptible to mold predation as well. If they ever find life on other planets it most likely will be mold.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Actually, according to photography experts, film is vastly superior to digital pictures.

That was about 10 years ago. Digital has more than caught up, especially for motion picture. There are still things to be said for film, but in most cases there is no gap, and there are cases where digital is better. The line is quite blurry. It's great to have film still, and sometimes it is the best tool for the job, but the only ones still saying film is "vastly superior" are the old guys stuck in their pre-digital workflows.

Chagen46 wrote:
Also, as another example, records, when built to the standards of modern-day equipment, are apparently MUCH higher quality than CDs.

No actual audio pro says this. No audio engineer in their right mind would use vinyl in post-production when there's a CD available.

There are a lot of people out there to whom the old way is the magical way, but they are not being objective. There's an entire industry built around these people, and most of the trained engineers laugh or shake their heads sadly at how much money they blow on lunacy every year.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Actually, according to photography experts, film is vastly superior to digital pictures.

That was about 10 years ago. Digital has more than caught up, especially for motion picture. There are still things to be said for film, but in most cases there is no gap, and there are cases where digital is better. The line is quite blurry. It's great to have film still, and sometimes it is the best tool for the job, but the only ones still saying film is "vastly superior" are the old guys stuck in their pre-digital workflows.

Chagen46 wrote:
Also, as another example, records, when built to the standards of modern-day equipment, are apparently MUCH higher quality than CDs.

No actual audio pro says this. No audio engineer in their right mind would use vinyl in post-production when there's a CD available.

There are a lot of people out there to whom the old way is the magical way, but they are not being objective. There's an entire industry built around these people, and most of the trained engineers laugh or shake their heads sadly at how much money they blow on lunacy every year.
I work with a bunch of audio pros' that beg to differ. Wink They still have a warm place in their hearts for 24 track 2" quad which are still lovingly cared for and functional next to their Calrec, Protools, or Studio Logic. Mind you they're baby boomers as well as me and so have many a recording sessions on their analogue counters. Also there is the strange phenomena of vinyl making a come back at present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5