• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - For God So Loved The Laserdisc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I must say I'm pretty appalled at how some people here are saying they'd rather pirate than own a readily available legal download. And people still wonder why this industry is struggling...

How about because they're obviously not meeting the needs of the people who want to give them money?
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Of course this rings true for the interests I've had in collecting actual film prints such as the ones that use to be screened in cinemas until recently. You can not get that same feeling digitally or centuries down the line so that sentimentality will always be there.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
I must say I'm pretty appalled at how some people here are saying they'd rather pirate than own a readily available legal download. And people still wonder why this industry is struggling...

A legal download is the exact same thing as a pirated copy to me... so I'd choose the version thats free. If they want my money, give me a physical product I actually own, not just a file.

What RyanSaotome has quite concisely displayed here is the argument that lays the foundation for the pitch from the antipiracy industry to the content creators. The more people in the market believe that the the free availability of bootlegs implies that legit downloads are worthless, the stronger the appeal of this or that action which is supposedly going to interfere with the free availability of bootlegs.

By contrast, the more people are willing to acquire anime content by means that support the creation of the works they enjoy, the harder it will be for the antipiracy industry to tap anime content creators as a source of income.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
What a great "episode"! Anime hyper (I don't know what else to call these)

The earliest form of home video, dating back to the 1920s as "Show-at-home" reels of silent films are worth quite a bit today, but at the same time, they were rare, and were VERY expensive, so not many people had them. Some are more valuable than others. This is the only way to see the original cut of the 1925 Lon Chaney classic, "Phantom of the Opera", but I'm getting off-topic! Very Happy Today's DVDs, and yesteryear's VHS tapes are so plentiful, I can't see them, as a format, ever being valuable, with a few exceptions.

I honestly think don't think "physical media" will ever die. I believe we'll always have digital, and I believe that DVDs as we know it will eventually disappear with time, and something new will come along, but I picture both "streaming" and "physical media" going hand-in-hand. Streaming is a great thing to replace renting, in that it works if you only want to watch something once. We'll always have some sort of media available for people who want to own a movie or TV show, and watch it whenever they want. How common will it be? Time will tell. As for Blu-rays... since Blu-rays really aren't that revolutionary, and involve a lot of HD remastering, I doubt everything will be available on the format. VHS to DVD was an amazing difference, but Blu-rays are really just high-end DVDs.
A few people even think books will eventually become obsolete. I doubt this even more highly since they have stood the test of time. We've been using them for CENTURIES.

And nice one about the Laserdisc! Very Happy (Though I've never even touched one, so I have no opinion on the format)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
What a great "episode"! Anime hyper (I don't know what else to call these)

"column"

See definition number 5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5