• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A question about Manga sales OUTSIDE of Japan...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedy_J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Do publishers take notice of International sales of the series they publish or do they only care about how a series does domestically?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do publishers take notice of International sales of the series they publish or do they only care about how a series does domestically?

The international sales of their editions? Those are usually difficult to track or are so tiny they're not even worth tracking. Many publishers don't acquire worldwide licenses, so it's not that important to them. For US publishers, it's how well manga do in bookstores that matters most. Bookscan keeps track of those sales and stores use those numbers to decide what titles to put on the shelves. If a title sells well, it will get more shelf space. If a title has more shelf space, it will probably sell better.

That said, even if a particular sale isn't tracked by Bookscan, importing is of course much better than reading scanlations. A sale is a sale, even if it isn't added to the sales numbers that matter most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1