• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Rerelease Baccano! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Be the first 10 to get it before it's "sold out". Wink
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Even the expensive direct imports are sold for less in the US, strangely enough.
Not always. Fate/Zero was $370 at Rightstuf, on Amazon Japan before it strangely disappeared (Like other Aniplex Japan releases), it was about $340. It was cheaper to import it from Amazon Japan, so that's one reason why it didn't sell out as quickly here as KnK did. Many of the people Aniplex was targeting just stuck with their Amazon Japan pre-orders, especially since the exchange rate improved instead of getting worse again. Though our green paper is still weaker than the Japanese Yen.

I do wonder how they'll price Fate/Zero 2 though. The BD box just got announced recently in Japan, however it's much cheaper than the first box (About 4,000 Yen cheaper). There is guessing it'll be around $340 (A good post I found below explaining how it could be that much), though that would mean it wold probably be cheaper at Amazon Japan again.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?6297-Fate-Zero-EngSub&p=96078&viewfull=1#post96078

On a side-note, I love how people blow Aniplex prices out of proportion still. The first release was $70 MSRP, do you REALLY think it'll cost like $500 for a regular edition that is NOT going to be based off of a Japanese release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
animeninja wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Does this mean we're closer to a Durarara bluray?

Yes. It's coming out soon.

I hope it is soon, I have Baccano! already on Blu-ray and I am holding off buying Durarara on DVD as I am hoping for the Blu-ray.

I already mentioned this...the upcoming Durarara!! Japanese blu-ray box is supposed to have the English dub from the U.S. releases. For those interested on having Durarara!! on BD, your best bet is to pay $300+ for the Japanese release.

I highly doubt Aniplex USA will release a Durarara!! BD set under $100 for a couple thousand people. That does not make much business sense. Sorry for bursting your bubble.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Still, Aniplex is shooting themselves in the foot by not having the title up on Amazon, the #1 online retailer for pretty much everything. That's my main concern. Even smaller companies like Discotek, Nozomi, NISA, and Anime Midstream have all their releases up on Amazon. Aniplex really needs to expand. I wouldn't mind them so much if they were better at marketing their products. A few banner ads on ANN is not gonna cut it.

I also don't understand why Aniplex is doing this with Baccano, and not a much more popular title like Fullmetal Alchemist (not that I'm complaining. I can't imagine anyone other than FUNi having FMA).

I was just commenting on the question: "why not let FUNimation release this?" The answer is right inline with the problem you believe Aniplex is creating by not having their products available on Amazon, it will reduce how much money Aniplex will make. Having a middleman print and distribute the discs will make Aniplex even less money than not having an Amazon account.

As to why Aniplex doesn't do the same with FMA. I guess every contract is different.

I don't see companies like Discotek, NISA, or Nozomi selling their stuff on Amazon. I see a bunch of storefronts that have products from those companies but that's it. Maybe you want to shoot Animecorner or MN Media an email so they'll stock up on Aniplex shows on their Amazon accounts. It would be smarter and cheaper to buy from an official Aniplex retailer though.

I could deal w/out FUNi releasing the series, but I just want it available on Amazon, since they always mark stuff down, and rarely sell anything for SRP.

BTW, Nozomi, Discotek, and NISA ALL release their stuff to Amazon:

Fist of the North Star (Discotek): http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Series-Boxset/dp/B003FP0Y0S/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335659964&sr=1-1
Galaxy Express 999 (Discotek): http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Express-999-Eastern-Star/dp/B004RIACSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335660028&sr=1-1
Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy (Discotek): http://www.amazon.com/Lupin-3rd-Conspiracy-Toshio-Furukawa/dp/B000V6LT7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335660170&sr=1-1

Dirty Pair (Nozomi): http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Pair-Original-TV-Series/dp/B0047HXMT8/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335660052&sr=1-4
Revolutionary Girl Utena (Nozomi): http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Girl-Utena-Student-Council/dp/B004S7G6A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335660088&sr=1-1
Astro Boy 1963 (Nozomi): http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Boy-The-Beginning/dp/B002EZMY80/ref=sr_1_10?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335661463&sr=1-10

House of Five Leaves (NISA): http://www.amazon.com/Leaves-Complete-Series-Premium-Edition/dp/B007HNGKF2/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335661789&sr=1-7
Persona Trinity Soul (NISA): http://www.amazon.com/Persona-Trinity-Volume-Premium-Edition/dp/B00461D6AA/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335662020&sr=1-3
Pandora Hearts (NISA): http://www.amazon.com/Pandora-Hearts-Volume-Premium-Edition/dp/B004ETVV6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335662083&sr=1-1

There are listings for Aniplex releases, but they speak for themselves:

Durarara: http://www.amazon.com/Durarara-DVD-Part-Takahiro-Omori/dp/B004JWDHX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335662137&sr=1-1

Madoka Magica: http://www.amazon.com/Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-DVD/dp/B00771TNIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335662250&sr=8-2

Blue Exorcist (this one might be an import): http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Exorcist-Vol-1/dp/B0060OQ4XW/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335662281&sr=1-2

The fact that there's no SRP listed (only the Amazon price) shows that those are unofficial listings. The listings for the Discotek, Nozomi, and NISA releases DO have an SRP, meaning that they ARE official listings (and the former two are havily marked down. The NISA releases are barely below SRP, which can often happen when an item is very low in stock or discontinued).

Quote:
Because having an exclusive deal with rightstuf allows them to try to prevent reverse imports back to Japan. $60 for Baccano in US vs $260 for Baccano in Japan (I presume it has more extras, but I think many would still be willing to forgo them) Even the expensive direct imports are sold for less in the US, strangely enough.

Although in practice if someone really wants to import it from the US, they can just get it through a proxy or a reseller.

Personally, I don't think those places would help them much. The hardcore anime crowd would already know where to look for Aniplex titles. Brick and mortar stores are basically dead, except for a few dedicated shops and some Fry's stores. For titles with more mass appeal but would require more marketing, they just license to local licensees. Most of titles produced by Aniplex (A-Channel, AnoHana, Baccano DVD, etc) DO wind in all those places like amazon, etc, just through licensees like Sentai, NISA, etc

But the thing is, Aniplex should not be targeting JUST the hardcore anime crowd. If they want to make more money, they should touch-base with casual anime fans as well who likely don't even know about RightStuf.com. I can kinda understand the other stores, but my MovieStop has a HUGE anime section (and it even recently expanded), and currently takes up an entire aisle. I see all the latest anime releases from many companies there. I should also expect too see an [adult swim] anime like Durarara there as well. Heck, Aniplex isn't even streaming it on Netflix.

As for reverse importation, they're the only anime company that does NOT sell on Amazon. I don't think it's as much of a problem for ANYBODY else! Wink Since Aniplex is selling these themselves anyway, the sales going to people reverse importing wouldn't affect much anyway, especially since the prices are nearly identical for much of these titles.

Quote:
I highly doubt Aniplex USA will release a Durarara!! BD set under $100 for a couple thousand people. That does not make much business sense.

Since Durarara was on [adult swim], I'm pretty sure it will sell to more people than just a "couple thousand", at least if it's properly marketed. IIRC, FUNimation once mentioned that even if an anime gets bad ratings on mainstream TV (which Durarara did not), it's still pretty much guaranteed to sell MUCH better than if wasn't on TV at all.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The NISA listings are just like the Aniplex ones you've linked, unofficial and being sold by animecorner. Anyone can sell Aniplex anime on Amazon and that would solve your issue.
Still, not being on Amazon is not a big deal because anime fans know where to go to already.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The NISA listings are just like the Aniplex ones you've linked, unofficial and being sold by animecorner. Anyone can sell Aniplex anime on Amazon and that would solve your issue.
Still, not being on Amazon is not a big deal because anime fans know where to go to already.

Those were suspicious listings since Amazon only marked the NISA sets down by a penny, but I digress. The Discotek and Nozomi releases are DEFINITELY official listings. At least the NISA releases are still SRP. The Aniplex releases are ULTRA expensive (especially DRR. $75 for 9 eps???? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked)!

Yes, anime fans know where to go for shopping, but what about-casual anime fans that aren't really "in the know", especially regular people who watched Durarara on [adult swim], loved it, and want to purchase it on DVD? Everybody knows about Amazon, so that's the first online place they'd go. Aniplex would make a lot more money with Amazon. Only hardcore anime fans know about RightStuf.com.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Well said ArsenicSteel. Since only hardcore fans are willing to pay Aniplex USA prices, why would they be worried about selling their stuff on Amazon.com. A fan willing to pay $52 (which is not a whole lot of money) for a 12 episode series knows that the place to buy is the RightStuff. $25 per complete series buyers need to be catered at Amazon.com because they are too stingy and close minded to realize that they can buy an awesome series like Madoka Magica for around $100.

I do not get PurpleWarrior13's apparent personal crusade to discredit Aniplex USA. Do not make stuff up and say that NIS and Aniplex stock up Amazon.com. If you do not like to buy great but more expensive series, PurpleWarrior13, pay Funimation $30 for yet another Dragon Ball Z rerelease.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It's the information age. People are not as dumb as you make them out to be. Google is your friend. People that watched it on AS can simply use their heads by either looking it up or asking other people.

They would make a lot more money? I'm sure you believe that but until you can prove to me how much money niche titles make on Amazon alone, "a lot more" means nothing.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
$25 per complete series buyers need to be catered at Amazon.com because they are too stingy and close minded to realize that they can buy an awesome series like Madoka Magica for around $100.

It's nice to know that you're more fortunate than most of us, and can afford that kind of money for a 12-episode DVD boxset (or in this case, 12 episodes on 3 $30 DVDs, but that's not the issue here). Calling someone "stingy and close-minded" just because they can't afford something is insulting. $100 for 12 episodes is a lot of money. Most of us can't afford to shell out that kind of cash. Heck, some of us can't even spare $50. It's not that we're "spoiled" or anything. We just prefer to buy stuff we can afford. Period. But again, it's nice to know that you can afford that kind of money, and on top of that, can tolerate insulting people just because they can't afford something.

Quote:
I do not get PurpleWarrior13's apparent personal crusade to discredit Aniplex USA. Do not make stuff up and say that NIS and Aniplex stock up Amazon.com. If you do not like to buy great but more expensive series, PurpleWarrior13, pay Funimation $30 for yet another Dragon Ball Z rerelease.

I'm not making up that they ARE on Amazon. I'm highly suggesting that they SHOULD be on Amazon, not for my sake, but so that the releases could sell better. I want these releases to sell well. I just think they would benefit off of being on a site like that given the success of FUNi's and Sentai's releases.

Again, stop trying to insult people for not being able to afford many Aniplex releases. Do the words "can't afford" mean ANYTHING to you?

Quote:
It's the information age. People are not as dumb as you make them out to be. Google is your friend. People that watched it on AS can simply use their heads by either looking it up or asking other people.

They would make a lot more money? I'm sure you believe that but until you can prove to me how much money niche titles make on Amazon alone, "a lot more" means nothing.

Don't make me out to be some kind of jerk that makes people look stupid on purpose. I'm only saying that when people shop, that's often the first place they look. It's no big deal.

Currently the FMA Brotherhood movie is the 633rd bestselling "Movie and TV" item on Amazon (which also includes individual episode downloads, so that number is saying a lot). Imagine where the sales would be without the units sold on the site: http://www.amazon.com/Fullmetal-Alchemist-Brotherhood-Milos-Movie/dp/B0071LEOV2/ref=zg_bs_2959100011_5

A hit show on [adult swim] (which I wouldn't even consider niche based on that fact alone) could benefit, as shown with FMA Brotherhood (there have even been times where sales for DVDs of that show have made it to the top 100 on the site).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Here's the bad thing about Amazon rankings, they don't have sales figures attached. That's why all sales rankings without sales figures are worthless to me.

Yes, having a product in more places means more sales without knowing how much is sold you can't make claims like "a lot" or "a little" and expect me to believe that you'd be better at selling Aniplex's releases than Aniplex.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Still, you can get a good general idea of how well something sells, especially if you take into consideration how well everything around it sells.

And no, I'm not claiming to know better about marketing anime than Aniplex. I just wish they took a few pointers from Sentai, FUNimation, and heck, even Discotek and Nozomi. Though I fail to see how having your product available in more places could be a bad thing...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

And no, I'm not claiming to know better about marketing anime than Aniplex. I just wish they took a few pointers from Sentai, FUNimation, and heck, even Discotek and Nozomi. Though I fail to see how having your product available in more places could be a bad thing...

Increased distribution costs and possibly having to sell to those other retailers at lower wholesale prices, when its unlikely you'll get the sales increases to make it worthwhile. Especially if some of those sales at those additional retailers are just customers switching away from TRSI.

Aniplex's business model is clearly not the same as those other companies, so the "pointers" may not be applicable. And if your business model is based on targeting a specific audience that is capable of finding (if they're not already buying from) the specific stores they're available at, there's just not much reason to go to the effort and expense to make them more widely available.

This is hardly something unique Aniplex or even Japanese practice. For example, I believe there are board and card games you have to seek out from specialty stores. You won't be able to find them on Amazon. I'm sure there are plenty of other niche products in the same situation. So there must be some legitimate business reasons to not putting your commercial product on Amazon.com.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Still, if nearly every anime company can do it, then so can Aniplex, and Aniplex USA is no smaller than most of them. Aniplex should be doing what the other companies are doing: targeting the casual consumer AND the hardcore anime audience. DVDs and Blu-rays are more than just "collecters items" that only hardcore fans get. Aniplex even knows this, since they're releasing cheaper editions of Madoka Magica (which are still a little pricy, but not horrible when bought separately).
Heck, even Nozomi stocks their releases on Amazon, and they are not only a very small company, but they are OWNED by another retail outlet (the very one in question).
Another online retail outlet stocking their own products on Amazon says a lot right there.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Still, if nearly every anime company can do it, then so can Aniplex, and Aniplex USA is no smaller than most of them. Aniplex should be doing what the other companies are doing: targeting the casual consumer AND the hardcore anime audience. DVDs and Blu-rays are more than just "collecters items" that only hardcore fans get. Aniplex even knows this, since they're releasing cheaper editions of Madoka Magica (which are still a little pricy, but not horrible when bought separately).
Heck, even Nozomi stocks their releases on Amazon, and they are not only a very small company, but they are OWNED by another retail outlet (the very one in question).
Another online retail outlet stocking their own products on Amazon says a lot right there.

It's likely they're trying to keep the number of retailers that they sell through as low as possible for the sake of simpler supply(supplier, more like) and distribution control (lol, coercion perhaps?). That's always been my theory.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they don't deal with Amazon is because Amazon is, well, big and scary.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
[Calling someone "stingy and close-minded" just because they can't afford something is insulting. $100 for 12 episodes is a lot of money. Most of us can't afford to shell out that kind of cash. Heck, some of us can't even spare $50. It's not that we're "spoiled" or anything. We just prefer to buy stuff we can afford. Period. But again, it's nice to know that you can afford that kind of money, and on top of that, can tolerate insulting people just because they can't afford something.

Take my words as an insult if you want, but you sound close minded. Other have also pointed out that Aniplex USA is not interested in stocking Amazon.com because they probably get a better deal with the RightStuf, and its target audience is savvy enough to know where to find their products.

Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.

And I have nothing against saving money. What Funimation and Sentai are doing selling anime at cheap prices is great. The bad thing is that they are making people think that anime is not a collector's item and everyone should buy it. I do not mind $100 for a 12 episodes series because the anime business in the U.S. is sustained by a few thousand costumers willing to pay such prices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4