Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Rerelease Baccano! Anime on Blu-ray Disc


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
scineram



Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 340
Location: Green Hell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they don't deal with Amazon is because Amazon is, well, big and scary.

If the current Aniplex versus Amazon Japan shitstorm is any indication I wouldn't want to deal with Amazon either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3078
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:


Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.


So you're saying you can't find 5 series on Funimation S.A.V.E list better than My little sister cant be this cute? It's a series that has hentai doujinshi more entertaining than the actual show.

Just because the Japanese now release it doesn't magically make it a better show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7879
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that a solid title like Baccano! is getting a Blu-Ray release. I already have the DVD set and I'm unlikely to double-dip, but it's an excellent show with an amazing English dubbed version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4357
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:


Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.


So you're saying you can't find 5 series on Funimation S.A.V.E list better than My little sister can't be this cute? It's a series that has hentai doujinshi more entertaining than the actual show.

Just because the Japanese now release it doesn't magically make it a better show.


If you are talking about Oreimo, I can find better S.A.V.E. series, but when I talk about great Aniplex USA series, I am referring to Madoka Magica and Durarara!!.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3078
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:


Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.


So you're saying you can't find 5 series on Funimation S.A.V.E list better than My little sister can't be this cute? It's a series that has hentai doujinshi more entertaining than the actual show.

Just because the Japanese now release it doesn't magically make it a better show.


If you are talking about Oreimo, I can find better S.A.V.E. series, but when I talk about great Aniplex USA series, I am referring to Madoka Magica and Durarara!!.


Well everyone has great titles, (though I didn't like DRRR and what I have heard about Madoka Magica leaves me with little interest) its just that Aniplex USA titles cost a lot more.

I dont expect to have to pay 50 dollars to get Kids on the Slope from Sentai and just imagine how much extra people would have to pay to get FMA Brotherhood if Aniplex released it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ingraman



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 1049
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad that a solid title like Baccano! is getting a Blu-Ray release. I already have the DVD set and I'm unlikely to double-dip, but it's an excellent show with an amazing English dubbed version.

You make it sound like the earlier BD release didn't happen...

It is a great show, which is why I imported the BD set (but my timing was lousy, with the US release announced the day that Amazon shipped my order).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LightsydeLuke



Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, since they are re releasing the Blu ray version, I would think that they were releasing the Limited Edition Version. That's what re releasing means. I hope they do cause I want it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
[Calling someone "stingy and close-minded" just because they can't afford something is insulting. $100 for 12 episodes is a lot of money. Most of us can't afford to shell out that kind of cash. Heck, some of us can't even spare $50. It's not that we're "spoiled" or anything. We just prefer to buy stuff we can afford. Period. But again, it's nice to know that you can afford that kind of money, and on top of that, can tolerate insulting people just because they can't afford something.


Take my words as an insult if you want, but you sound close minded. Other have also pointed out that Aniplex USA is not interested in stocking Amazon.com because they probably get a better deal with the RightStuf, and its target audience is savvy enough to know where to find their products.

Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.

And I have nothing against saving money. What Funimation and Sentai are doing selling anime at cheap prices is great. The bad thing is that they are making people think that anime is not a collector's item and everyone should buy it. I do not mind $100 for a 12 episodes series because the anime business in the U.S. is sustained by a few thousand costumers willing to pay such prices.


What I'm saying is that there's never anything wrong with saving money. I'm 17 years old, with a small, part-time, summer job. Most of my anime comes from birthday or Christmas gifts. I don't think many people are going to purchase a $100 boxset for someone (especially if that only has 12 episodes), and since a large amount of anime fans are in their teenage years, I don't think having things cost $100 is a good idea. $100 is a lot of money. Period. If you're spending it on something big then fine, but a 12 episode anime boxset? Come on! I would have to use TWO DAYS WORTH OF PAY to be able to afford it. The most I've ever spent on a DVD is $65, and that set had about 40 TV eps (it wasn't an anime BTW). I'm not saying every boxset needs to be $25 for 52 eps (though I would certainly have no issue with that), but if it costs a healthy $40 for 52 eps, I'm fine with that. For a 12 episode mini-series, I wouldn't pay more than $20 at once (I don't mind the $30-per-singles since you're not spending all $90-$100 all at once).

Plus, you're making it sound like FUNimation and Sentai have bad titles compared to Aniplex. Aniplex has less than a dozen titles, Sentai has about 30 titles (they're still fairly new), and FUNi has closer to a hundred. No, they're not ALL good, but most of the stuff I want comes from a variety of companies. Aniplex's titles are no better than anyone else's. They're not some special label where all the good anime go. They are just a company that has released a few select Aniplex titles in the US. Nothing more, nothing less.

...and calling someone "stingy and close-minded" for not being able to afford someone won't help you get your point across. I certainly do NOT have $500 to blow (I have $0 right now), and all year, I might get lucky and have $100 to blow on stuff (and since anime is far from my only hobby, only half of it might be used to spend on it), MAYBE. If I did magically have $500 in my pocket, the $200 I would likely use to purchase anime, would be for whatever titles I want, and whatever I can afford. I don't care about the label on the package. If the price is right, and the series is good, I would consider purchasing it.

BTW far more than just a "few thousand" people support anime. That may be the case for certain niche titles, but not for the whole industry, and certainly not for some of Aniplex's shows, especially Durarara, considering it has been shown on [adult swim]. There's a far bigger market for that title than most anime.

I do believe that while anime overall is popular in the US, most fans seem to only care about the same titles. Every anime fan I've talked to seems to be interested in the exact same catalog of shows (DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, FMA, Trigun, Ghibli movies, the works). It's unfortunate, but I'm glad we at least have a dozen or so titles that HAVE achieved that kind of success. We just need to get more people interested in more shows. For every hit anime in the US, there comes probably 12 flops. It's harder to get more people into a show when it's on a more niche website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2508
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="PurpleWarrior13"][quote="angelmcazares"]
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
[

Plus, you're making it sound like FUNimation and Sentai have bad titles compared to Aniplex. Aniplex has less than a dozen titles, Sentai has about 30 titles (they're still fairly new), and FUNi has closer to a hundred. No, they're not ALL good, but most of the stuff I want comes from a variety of companies. Aniplex's titles are no better than anyone else's. They're not some special label where all the good anime go. They are just a company that has released a few select Aniplex titles in the US. Nothing more, nothing less.


You're numbers are WAY off there. Sentai alone has over 100 titles that have been released, and many more that are awaiting release. Their website catalog currently shows about 95 series, OVAs, and movies, and that doesn't include any of their recent pickups, or shows that have been simulcast the past couple of seasons. I can't say exactly how many Funi has, but I would imagine the number is similar if not greater.

You do make some good points about pricing, however a lot of people are still missing the fact that the Baccano bluray wasn't ridiculously high priced to begin with, and a re-release will likely be similarly priced, if not cheaper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You're numbers are WAY off there. Sentai alone has over 100 titles that have been released, and many more that are awaiting release. Their website catalog currently shows about 95 series, OVAs, and movies, and that doesn't include any of their recent pickups, or shows that have been simulcast the past couple of seasons. I can't say exactly how many Funi has, but I would imagine the number is similar if not greater.


Sorry! I've never actually counted! Anime hyper That was just an estimate. Sentai has released and re-released shows before, but it's good to know they have a decent-sized catalog. Though since FUNi's been actively licensing anime since 2000 (1994-1999 was 100% Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z for them), they've also dropped several series, and released almost their entire catalog at least 3 times each (and in SINGLES for years). I think if you added up all the different releases FUNimation's ever done, it would probably be in the high thousands.

Quote:
You do make some good points about pricing, however a lot of people are still missing the fact that the Baccano bluray wasn't ridiculously high priced to begin with, and a re-release will likely be similarly priced, if not cheaper.


Heck, we don't even know if Aniplex USA's Blu-ray will be the same as the Japanese release or not. It'll definitely have some tweaks, but I suspect it could be a nice release. Price is another issue, but hopefully it will be all in one volume, and the price will be at least somewhat affordable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2508
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Heck, we don't even know if Aniplex USA's Blu-ray will be the same as the Japanese release or not. It'll definitely have some tweaks, but I suspect it could be a nice release. Price is another issue, but hopefully it will be all in one volume, and the price will be at least somewhat affordable.


I wasn't talking about the Japanese release. I was referring to the release they already did here in North America. It will likely be one set, like the previous release, and I HIGHLY doubt it would be more expensive than before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4357
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
[Calling someone "stingy and close-minded" just because they can't afford something is insulting. $100 for 12 episodes is a lot of money. Most of us can't afford to shell out that kind of cash. Heck, some of us can't even spare $50. It's not that we're "spoiled" or anything. We just prefer to buy stuff we can afford. Period. But again, it's nice to know that you can afford that kind of money, and on top of that, can tolerate insulting people just because they can't afford something.


Take my words as an insult if you want, but you sound close minded. Other have also pointed out that Aniplex USA is not interested in stocking Amazon.com because they probably get a better deal with the RightStuf, and its target audience is savvy enough to know where to find their products.

Besides, if a potential Amazon.com buyer sees Madoka Magic priced at $40 (for the first volume of three), he/she will not buy it if they are stingy as you are. I call you stingy because I am sure anime buyers have a budget. If you have a budget of $500 to buy anime for the whole year, you can either buy 25 Funimation S.A.V.E. rereleases or 4 great series like Madoka Magica from Aniplex USA. It's all about priorities.

And I have nothing against saving money. What Funimation and Sentai are doing selling anime at cheap prices is great. The bad thing is that they are making people think that anime is not a collector's item and everyone should buy it. I do not mind $100 for a 12 episodes series because the anime business in the U.S. is sustained by a few thousand costumers willing to pay such prices.


What I'm saying is that there's never anything wrong with saving money. I'm 17 years old, with a small, part-time, summer job. Most of my anime comes from birthday or Christmas gifts. I don't think many people are going to purchase a $100 boxset for someone (especially if that only has 12 episodes), and since a large amount of anime fans are in their teenage years, I don't think having things cost $100 is a good idea. $100 is a lot of money. Period. If you're spending it on something big then fine, but a 12 episode anime boxset? Come on! I would have to use TWO DAYS WORTH OF PAY to be able to afford it. The most I've ever spent on a DVD is $65, and that set had about 40 TV eps (it wasn't an anime BTW). I'm not saying every boxset needs to be $25 for 52 eps (though I would certainly have no issue with that), but if it costs a healthy $40 for 52 eps, I'm fine with that. For a 12 episode mini-series, I wouldn't pay more than $20 at once (I don't mind the $30-per-singles since you're not spending all $90-$100 all at once).

Plus, you're making it sound like FUNimation and Sentai have bad titles compared to Aniplex. Aniplex has less than a dozen titles, Sentai has about 30 titles (they're still fairly new), and FUNi has closer to a hundred. No, they're not ALL good, but most of the stuff I want comes from a variety of companies. Aniplex's titles are no better than anyone else's. They're not some special label where all the good anime go. They are just a company that has released a few select Aniplex titles in the US. Nothing more, nothing less.

...and calling someone "stingy and close-minded" for not being able to afford someone won't help you get your point across. I certainly do NOT have $500 to blow (I have $0 right now), and all year, I might get lucky and have $100 to blow on stuff (and since anime is far from my only hobby, only half of it might be used to spend on it), MAYBE. If I did magically have $500 in my pocket, the $200 I would likely use to purchase anime, would be for whatever titles I want, and whatever I can afford. I don't care about the label on the package. If the price is right, and the series is good, I would consider purchasing it.

BTW far more than just a "few thousand" people support anime. That may be the case for certain niche titles, but not for the whole industry, and certainly not for some of Aniplex's shows, especially Durarara, considering it has been shown on [adult swim]. There's a far bigger market for that title than most anime.

I do believe that while anime overall is popular in the US, most fans seem to only care about the same titles. Every anime fan I've talked to seems to be interested in the exact same catalog of shows (DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, FMA, Trigun, Ghibli movies, the works). It's unfortunate, but I'm glad we at least have a dozen or so titles that HAVE achieved that kind of success. We just need to get more people interested in more shows. For every hit anime in the US, there comes probably 12 flops. It's harder to get more people into a show when it's on a more niche website.


I get your points about pricing. I have paid up to $200 for series I really love. I would have preferred to pay $50 for those, but I put up the money because that's is my way of supporting the industry and saying that I want anime to keep coming to this side of the Pacific.

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money. You are earning it and can do whatever you want with it. You mention that you have other hobbies besides anime. In my case anime is the most important hobby I have. And because of that, I spend $600-$800 a year to buy anime.

Don't think that I buy every anime that is released; I am very selective. When I began building my collection three years ago, I bought dozens of old series at bargain prices. As I have began to buy new releases, I occasionally pay high prices for series that I enjoy a lot and have a replay value for me.

I am glad when Sentai and Funimation release new series I like because I can save some money. But when Aniplex released Madoka Magica, I had to have it. I know it is expensive, but anime is a very important and personal rewarding for me. And don't think I buy all Aniplex USA releases; I watched Oreimo and parts of Blue Exorcist and was impressed enough to buy them.

One last thing, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the reason the anime business in the U.S. is not doing so great now is because we have taken prices for granted. Funimation and other companies are selling very affordable anime, but I doubt they are making much of a profit. I don't want to speculate too much, but I doubt 10,000-12,000 people paying $30 per series will be a sustainable business model for many years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
SeethingBuzzard



Joined: 05 May 2012
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, I've been looking to pick this up on Blu-ray for a little while, but I live in the UK. Any idea where the best place to import this might be when it drops?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group