• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Bunny Drop TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I've asked you a couple times now why exactly you think this show could support a dub and you've yet to provide a real response. You just keep insisting that it deserves one.

For the last time, and just for you in a way I hope you can comprehend this time:

Why I think Usagi Drop deserves a dub.
By Mohawk52.

There is neither a face, nor a palm big enough for this moment.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I've asked you a couple times now why exactly you think this show could support a dub and you've yet to provide a real response. You just keep insisting that it deserves one.

For the last time, and just for you in a way I hope you can comprehend this time:

Why I think Usagi Drop deserves a dub.
By Mohawk52.

There is neither a face, nor a palm big enough for this moment.
Oh I'm sure if show your back to a mirror and bend over to look between your legs you'll see a big enough one all right. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@ ikc - in all fairness to Mohawk52, out of the four points he raised in his post, the last three actually do address the question of why a dub could potentially be viable. That's not to say I necessarily agree with them, but they are on topic.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

There is evidence, however circumstantial, that dubs are more popular than sub-only titles. For instance:
Manga UK's persistent claims that sub-only titles sell only half as well as ones with dubs.
The fact that sub-only releases tend to be more expensive. This was a lot clearer back with VHS when you would have separate versions of the same title.

That is, of course, not a controversial statement.

The issue is whether it increases popularity enough to offset the cost of the dub, which is a far more dubious assertion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

There is evidence, however circumstantial, that dubs are more popular than sub-only titles. For instance:
Manga UK's persistent claims that sub-only titles sell only half as well as ones with dubs.
The fact that sub-only releases tend to be more expensive. This was a lot clearer back with VHS when you would have separate versions of the same title.

That is, of course, not a controversial statement.

The issue is whether it increases popularity enough to offset the cost of the dub, which is a far more dubious assertion.
It doesn't need increased popularity, it's already popular enough and with a dub it will be more desirable to be put in the basket instead of put back on the shelf.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It doesn't need increased popularity, it's already popular enough and with a dub it will be more desirable to be put in the basket instead of put back on the shelf.

Someone remind me again what year this is.

I could have sworn it was 2012, but people keep using 2002 logic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ ikc - in all fairness to Mohawk52, out of the four points he raised in his post, the last three actually do address the question of why a dub could potentially be viable. That's not to say I necessarily agree with them, but they are on topic.

I would say #2 is at least relevant to popularity. #3 really has nothing to do with popularity though and #4 just begs the question. So yeah, I'll admit that some of what he's saying is applicable to viability. Honestly though, I'm just sick of trying to argue with him if he still can't grasp the difference between deserving and being viable which he evidently can't if he's still carrying on about the prior.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Honestly though, I'm just sick of trying to argue with him if he still can't grasp the difference between deserving and being viable which he evidently can't if he's still carrying on about the prior.
That should have been the penny that dropped to make you realise that viability, though important which I've always accepted is a valid concern to product profitability, has absolutely nothing to do with my belief it deserves a dub anyway regardless. My feeling is from the heart, not the head. If you can understand that and accept that that is just how I feel you will maybe see just how futile your attacks have been. There's no success without risk, but if one doesn't take the risk, one can not succeed as any gambler will tell you. It's a philosophy that took us out of Africa to spread round the world and took us to the Moon and back. I've only seen one reason for not dubbing it and that's "it's not viable" where I have listed 4 very valid reasons for dubbing, whether anyone agrees with them or not is not my problem. I know the actual reason NISA won't dub it is because they simply can't afford it, which I perfectly accept, It's unfortunate, but I accept it, and I'm happy that it has been licensed for those who don't care if it's dubbed or not. Good on them! But unfortunately NISA will have to accept that I simply won't buy it because of it. It's only up to them to change my mind, no one else and certainly not you lot. Wink
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk, why should we care that you believe it should have a dub?

It doesn't, and it almost certainly never would have.

So why are you beating this horse, precisely?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So why are you beating this horse, precisely?
So why did you drag in the carcass in the first place?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've only seen one reason for not dubbing it and that's "it's not viable" where I have listed 4 very valid reasons for dubbing, whether anyone agrees with them or not is not my problem.

No. You have put forth several reasons why it deserves a dub and that is just fine. I can completely understand feeling that this deserves a dub. I feel the same way.

However, that is NOT a reason NISA should actually dub it. There is literally only one question that matters in regards to whether NISA should dub this: Is it financially viable? If you yourself admit that this show is not financially viable for dubbing then you must recognize that you are expecting NISA to lose money just because it "deserves" it which is wildly unreasonable.

By all means...go right ahead and lament the fact that this show really deserves to be dubbed. I'll be right there with you. I really would be. I hate the realities of the anime business and the fact that we routinely see garbage licensed and/or dubbed while all kinds of awesome gems are not.

But for the love of god...please stop insisting that this means NISA should actually dub it! That's just not realistic.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
stuff
I also wish you would stop just taking little snippetts of my posts to reply to and read my whole post which covered all that. I notice you do that a lot. Are you Dyslexic by any chance? I set a task for Mr. Blood to point out where I insisted NISA dub this . I put the same task to you as well. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
stuff
I also wish you would stop just taking little snippetts of my posts to reply to and read my whole post which covered all that. I notice you do that a lot. Are you Dyslexic by any chance? I set a task for Mr. Blood to point out where I insisted NISA dub this . I put the same task to you as well. Wink

You're getting forgetful, Gramps. You asked me to point out where you insisted that NISA had outbid Funi and Sentai for the rights to Usagi Drop. Perhaps this will refresh your memory?

Mohawk52 wrote:
Blood wrote:
My main difference with you on this issue is your absurd insistence that Funi and Sentai MUST have been outbid by NISA to get this title.
You point out to me where in this thread I insisted , insisted mind you, that NISA out bid anyone and I'll apologise unreservedly to you. Wink

I withdraw the word "insisted" and substitute "floated as a ridiculous possibility" in its place. Not as pithy, perhaps, but more accurate.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Dyslexic by any chance?

No I'm not. Are you by any chance the kind of insufferable prick who thinks it's funny to mock people with disabilities? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I set a task for Mr. Blood to point out where I insisted NISA dub this . I put the same task to you as well. Wink

Looks like someone needs to take his own smug, obnoxious advice and read a bit more carefully. I never said you "insisted NISA dub this". I said you "insisted that NISA should dub this". Which you did.

"If you could get God himself to tell me just how NISA got Usagi Drop I still would hold the belief that it deserves to be dubbed and if NISA can not see enough to do it then it's unfortunate for NISA"

"I've only seen one reason for not dubbing it and that's "it's not viable" where I have listed 4 very valid reasons for dubbing,"

"I still believe it deserves it and would make a profit."

You're clearly claiming that NISA should dub this.
ANNs Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been a NISA fan since 2006 thanks to their La Pucelle, Phantom Brave and Disgaea games. Who'd wouldn've thought that a Video game localization company suddenly becomes an Anime distributor. There that awesome to their fans.

Although I do wish they english-dub their anime releases like their do to most of their games(if fact, you have an english/sub options in all of them)but since hiring voice dub actors is expensive and most Anime fans watch sub-only animes, I guess its the most we can get in this weathered economy.

Still, its a valuable release and I plan on getting it as soon as its out. I don't know about you people but I'm pretty conservative about the way I watch anime. I'd rather watch it on the big screen and pop-it in a DVD player than stream it online. Just a habit that stayed with me since the old days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14