• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I hate Onodera Kosaki from Nisekoi. Every time it's a chapter about her, I groan. >_> She's such a crappy character; more like an empty vessle, really. Her personality is......"blushing and falling down". And she doesn't change. 142 chapters AND SHE HASN'T CHANGED ONE IOTA. People go out of their way to give her a chance to make progress with Raku and she never takes it because she's a just a big f*cking wuss. She's so annoying!! Twisted Evil
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
142 chapters AND SHE HASN'T CHANGED ONE IOTA.

Well duh. You can't improve upon perfection!

But let's be fair here. Not taking a chance to further their relationship is something all the girls (except Marika) do, not just Kosaki.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga, I know you adore her...but she has zero personality. Her character revolves around crushing on Raku....and doing nothing about it. o__O She's so empty AND weak.....it just frustrates me so much. From what I can gather from the fandom, male readers like her and female readers dislike her.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
She is shy, cute, devoted and voiced by HanaKana. What else is there to say? Tbh I'm more into Tsugumi's knockers.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
She goes BEYOND "shy". Like no one is that shy. Nodoka from Negima was shy but her character grew. The other girls who like Raku at least try to interact with him. Like when spoiler[Raku was in the hospital for appendicitus, they all came to visit him. But Onodera refuses to stay for more than two minutes because "oh no, Ruri didn't come along"] IT'S ALL TOO MUCH FOR HER!! And she runs away. Again. =_= She pulls this kind of crap over and over....it's not cute at all; it's annoying and stupid. I've never seen a harem girl this one-dimensional and this spineless.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Inuyasha- He starts most of the arguments that leads to him getting the sit command. He whines whenever he has to help other people. He uses Kagome selfishly to find the MacGuffin. He beats up Shippo, whether or not it was justified.

Shippo's another precocious brat who is all talk and no action, so I'm personally fine with Inuyasha beating the crap out of him. Better him than me since he can actually do it. Anime hyper

So, child abuse is okay if the child is annoying? You know, like a good percentage of the child population? I hope to god you don't have kids.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

So, child abuse is okay if the child is annoying? You know, like a good percentage of the child population? I hope to god you don't have kids.

Oh ffffffffff *scoffs*

What Inuyasha does to Shippo can barely be called "child abuse". The two care about each other deeply....a lot. It's a very brotherly relationship....seriously, what big brother DOESN'T pummel his little one when he asks for it? But God have mercy if anyone else picks on him!

And NO, I don't want little brats running around my house ever. I can't stand kids. They have zero discipline or respect. Why? Because people like you are way too soft on them and call smacking them "abuse." Nope. I got spanked, sent to the corner, even slapped across the face a couple times. It's to keep your kid in line because sometimes verbal commands and threats just don't cut it.

{Please refrain from Excessive Quoting in your posts in the future. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
{Just to emphasize the point, you have received 1 strike (out of 3). --nbahn}
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
I didn't say anything about spanking. I was talking about punching a five year old in the skull or throwing him across the room.

Maybe you turned out fine, but sometimes raising your hand to a child makes them think violence is a great way to solve your problems. All it took to set me straight was the threat of being grounded. Needless to say, I was easier to break.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I was talking about punching a five year old in the skull or throwing him across the room.

I do not think that Inuyasha is abusing Shippo. I see it as cartoon violence that is not intended to be taken seriously.

If a character has a lump on his head the size of a fist, and that lump is gone in the next scene and the character is acting normally, that was cartoon violence.
Shippo is never really hurt and Inuyasha is never really trying to hurt Shippo.

I think that what we see is not supposed to be actually happening in "real life." It is an extreme exaggeration.
Personally, I think that Inuyasha is just playing with Shippo because he never had much chance to play with other kids when he was growing up, and Inuyasha is still emotionally immature. But that is probably reading way too much into the character.

I do agree with some things that you said earlier* about Inuyasha.

He is usually responsible for getting the "sit" command because he does things to bring it on himself. But sometimes it is all on Kagome because of her jealousy.

He does whine too much about having to help people.
But he does steadily get better about that throughout the story.
I think that possibly one reason for his complaining is to give us a way to see his growth as a person. His humanity, perhaps.

*EDIT: I just looked back through the thread and realized that "earlier" was nearly three years ago.
Just to be safe I will say that I am referring to your comments about Inuyasha near the beginning of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
What peculiar threads are hidden in this forum. Oh well, I have the perfect person to put here now that I'm watching Great Teacher Onizuka (25 episodes or so): Aizawa Miyabi.

She's hateful, she's not fun or eccentric like the other characters (she doesn't even have that much chemistry or something inside her seriousness like others [subdirector for example], it's just boringly serious), I still don't know her reason to hate teachers but the lenghts she goes to destroy them are beyond despicable, to accuse them of serious crimes unjustly, beating the shit out of other student that is okay with the teacher and threating them to the point that that student tries to kill himself (twice), doesn't learn any lesson after being exposed or being punished or anything, she celebrates that the teacher is going to die of cancer (turns out to be false, but it's a really serious moment and they don't know it), and she bullies one of her own friends and treats her like shit after she fails to set a trap to Onizuka unintentionally.

Wow is she despicable, it's kind of intentional but at the same time I just feel mean things about her. She's not a villain like [for example] Kanzaki, who was fun, intentionally very screwed, more subtle and multifaceted, and she interacted with the teacher and developed their opinions and characters together (granted, her role as villain is minor). Miyabi is still as an eternal status quo obnoxious villain that doesn't change anything and questions anything. And with her historial, I don't think her freudian excuse is going to justify even remotely how awful she is.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
They are just created fiction and not real people, there for there is nothing really to hate, But one can disagree with the idea's being presented at the time. Our simply find something not funny that another might find very funny!

simpy its all a state of mind and the person thinking and reacting to whats being presented at the time.

though anime is mostly fun to watch, nothing like a well told story!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, I know one I hate, Germán (Herman) Luis from Garo, I can't stand him. Over people think he is an amazing character because he can be goofy and mess around with women in an otherwise serious show. I have seen people calling him the best anime father ever in from situations where he blows off his son to go mess around with a prostitute, or comes back from a situation in a bad way like he has lost his clothes and asking his son for help.

He takes such the high ground in his morals and over Leon's serious nature. But really the way he acts invites trouble, we are meant to laugh at that dislike Leon's moody attitude, but really he is a terrible father figure who breeds the distrust his son would have in him, and owns some responsibility to situations he end up with. But we are not meant to look at the fact that Leon's father is not there for him because he is being true to himself.

Despite him being a pacifist, but he is a terrible character.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Thread's back from the dead and it's not to add Inaho to the list? What a waste.

I'd add him myself but I only saw the first few episodes of AD0 so I'm not in the best position to judge him.

It's been a few years, there should be someone I could add but most series have been done in such a way that most heroes have interesting flaws {...most...}, the villains have been nicely dislikable, the antiheroes likable and anti-villains somewhere in between. Just see Kill La Kill or Attack on Titan for a basic line up of all of them.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I like this thread. Let's see... where do I begin?

Yuno Gasai, from Future Diary: She's got more than a few loose screws, and her complete obsession with the protagonist soon becomes unbearable to watch. "Yuki.. Yuuki.. YUUUKIII!!!"

Shinji Matō, from Fate/Stay Night: With the combination of being a narcissist, a bully, and disrespecting people on a daily basis, Shinji has undoubtedly mastered the art of being a complete prick. Some of his interrests include long walks on the beach, and abusing his sister.

Tsunenaga Tamaki, from Deadman Wonderland: His deception toward Ganta, and likely many others in his situation, is just inexcusable. He's sadistic and deceitful, gets off from watching people kill each other, and he has no redeeming traits whatsoever.

Lelouch Lamperouge, from Code Geass: He's just too full of himself, and his overly theatrical manners doesn't help at all. Face it, Lelouch, the world doesn't revolve around you. Considering what his father is like, however, I'm willing to partially forgive Lelouch.

Sawa Nakamura, from Flowers of Evil: Granted, she's not as bad as Shinji (FSN), and she has her reasons for lashing out at people, but considering how Sawa treats Takao, I still can't make myself like her even a little.

Juvia Lockser, from Fairy Tail: Another one of those characters who have an unhealthy obsession with something/someone. I don't particularly hate Juvia, but rather characters in general with similar obsessions. They basically end up being one-dimensional and irritating.

Ferris Eris, from Legend of the Legendary Heroes: Her dango obsession, and complete disinterrest in anything NOT related to dango, combined with typical psychopatic behaviour makes her a poor co-lead. Her family situation helps to explain her screwed up personality though.

Kei Takishima, from Special A: I simply can't stand a character who always wins, no matter what. I certainly wouldn't blame Hikari, if she secretly wanted to wipe that smirk off his face.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
^ I can't exactly comment on any of these, with the exception of three.

Yuno Gasai would be a fascinating villain if not for the fact that she exists primarily to be a fetish doll for yandere fans. I really wanted to see her deranged psyche explored beyond "she was ABUUUUUSED and that's it". What did we get? Episodes three, six, and ten- all devoted to Yuno being the most sympathetic waifu to ever waifu. All I see in her is what a waste of a tragic villain she is.

Lelouch, on the other hand, I personally find to be one of the most fascinating main characters in anime. I file him into a category called "Rorshach's Characters"; with these characters, you can say pretty much anything about them and almost all the interpretations are equally correct. Lelouch is a flawed character whose pride gets in a way, but that's the point. Is he a hero? A villain? That's up to the viewer to decide. But I have my own interpretations, and you have yours. (It doesn't help that he's hot, dammit.)

As for Tamaki...well, I don't care about anyone in Deadman Wonderland. File him with everyone except Ganta and Shiro under the "no personality beyond 'crazy'" cabinet, in my opinion.

I'm considering starting a thread topic called "Characters you love to loathe". These characters are people you know you should despise, and the show wants desperately for you to hate them too. And yet, you can't stop watching them. You enjoy viewing their evil antics every week. You cheer when karma bites them in the ass, but at the same time, you start weeping if/when they bite the dust. Zoisite from Sailor Moon is my primary example of the love-to-hate bad guy. I love him- and yet I hate him so much! But I'd take all day to discuss why that is. Anybody else in support of the thread here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 18