• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if I'd use a Madoka Magica wish on something stupid like dubbing anime series like House of Five Leaves…

No, that's a waste. Five Leaves is the kind of slow, contemplative anime that works completely fine subtitled.

Wish for a dub for Tatami Galaxy instead. That'd be totally worth it.

I would say it's the complete opposite, Five Leaves could have a dub whereas it's probably impossible to get a coherent dub out of Tatami Galaxy due to how fast the protagonist talks. Heck, I wonder if even Japanese viewers could keep up with the dialogue.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
...Unless that guy has more Negima stashed away somewhere, I have more than he does (I have up to volume 31).

I have no idea why, but this makes me happy.

I always thought Serrin was a girl's name.

Ack, I didn't check their name >~<
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
...that collection....dear lord even I don't have any words
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
serrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, I was looking at those collection pics, trying to figure out what was up with the Fruits Basket and Tsubasa books, those are Chuang-Yi manga, aren't they? I always wondered what the spines on those looked like, but I can't find a place to get them for cheap either (something like $20 a book on eBay) or I'd probably give them a shot.

I bought most of my manga from Singapore when I swing by on the way home to Australia. After one spree where I ended up dragging a 20kg box of manga to my hotel, I quickly stopped. Thankfully Chuang Yi do orders off their website now but you might want to check singpost's post rates before ordering. The volumes are actually slightly heavier than Viz/Kodansha/et al's releases (~210g) at ~240g per volume despite being physically smaller.
I used to be a massive CY fan for their speedy releases, but for the last few years everything English has dropped to 1-2 volumes per year. Viz actually managed to finish Ouran and FMA before them :S.

Chagen46 wrote:
...Unless that guy has more Negima stashed away somewhere, I have more than he does (I have up to volume 31).

I have no idea why, but this makes me happy.

Sorry to burst you bubble, but I've got up to 34, I've started running out of space and some of the longer series are double stacked. Actually at one point I had both the Chuang Yi and the Del Rey versions while I was jumping ship, CY have been stuck on vol 27 since last year >_>
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry to burst you bubble, but I've got up to 34, I've started running out of space and some of the longer series are double stacked.

*Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"*

I must buy more volumes! And finish the ones I did buy >_>
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Wow awesome collection serrin (and I notice you're an Aussie too! ^__^) I'm loving the CD collection you've got going~

I think the Siren Visual (R4) packaging for House of Five Leaves is nicer =P Maybe I *should* borrow and watch that series from my friend...she was trying to force it onto me but I said I'd rather read the manga (<-default choice). Although I did enjoy what I saw of the anime.
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
I also have nothing but good things to say about NIS replacing my HoFL discs. I was impressed that they were forthright and professional in acknowledging the issue and putting a replacement program in place. My discs arrived promptly, too. I'm suddenly much more interested in their releases.

I'm glad that Erin's opinion of the series improved the second time through. HoFL isn't for everyone, but it was one of my favorites of last year. Top 3, even!
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to burst you bubble, but I've got up to 34, I've started running out of space and some of the longer series are double stacked.

*Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"*

I must buy more volumes! And finish the ones I did buy >_>

I'm only up to 22; I think I dropped it when it looked like it was going to go into another tournament arc. Though since it concluded I'm considering picking it up again before the backlog becomes too expensive.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm only up to 22; I think I dropped it when it looked like it was going to go into another tournament arc. Though since it concluded I'm considering picking it up again before the backlog becomes too expensive.

Oh man oh man. You're right before spoiler[Negi and Kotaro enter a Tournament on Mundus Magicus to get the money for Ako to pay off her medicine], right? You have to keep reading after that. Maybe i'm just a sucker for fighting manga but it is seriously badass, especially the ending battle. I'm not gonna spoil anything, but I'll say that is is insanely awesome. There's no filler, no people constantly making obvious commentary on the attacks; just a straight volume of Negi and his opponent kicking each other's asses and outdoing themselves in spectacle. And it ends in the most awesome way possible.

But I'm a sucker for fighting manga, so take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I have the House of 5 Leaves Set, it's gorgeous & looks lovely on the shelf. It was my first NISA purchase but Ano Hana & Bunny Drop will soon follow.

Oh & hopefully Natsume will get a release date soon (my most anticipated series)

Anyways as for House of Five Leaves, I remember thinking it was slow at first as well but I loved the ending, it really rose the series in my esteem.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Anyways as for House of Five Leaves, I remember thinking it was slow at first as well but I loved the ending, it really rose the series in my esteem.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought, too. Started slow and took me a bit to adjust to the art style but I ended up really loving the characters and themes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 3 of Madoka is the one that pulls everyone in. X3
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if I'd use a Madoka Magica wish on something stupid like dubbing anime series like House of Five Leaves…

No, that's a waste. Five Leaves is the kind of slow, contemplative anime that works completely fine subtitled.

Wish for a dub for Tatami Galaxy instead. That'd be totally worth it.

I would say it's the complete opposite, Five Leaves could have a dub whereas it's probably impossible to get a coherent dub out of Tatami Galaxy due to how fast the protagonist talks. Heck, I wonder if even Japanese viewers could keep up with the dialogue.

I might agree with doctordoom85 on this one. I remember that when I saw HOFL streaming I felt that I might be missing some subtleties in language and perhaps some of the expressiveness that a good dub might capture. Its one of the few shows that I actually wanted a dub.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Erin wrote:

I wasn't that impressed with the first two episodes, but by episode three I was hooked.

Well, you pretty much just described the standard Madoka experience. Wink

Yeah but I have to wonder how much of that experience has to do with the change in the ending song on episode 3.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Erin wrote:

I wasn't that impressed with the first two episodes, but by episode three I was hooked.

Well, you pretty much just described the standard Madoka experience. Wink

Yeah but I have to wonder how much of that experience has to do with the change in the ending song on episode 3.

I still think swapping out See You Tomorrow (which is actually a pretty good song) with Magia was one of the coolest things I've seen in an anime. Especially with how my friends react--seeing the looks on their faces when they watch Episode 3 and Magia comes on is priceless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6