• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Open 2ch" Board Debuts Without Reposting Restrictions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So 2ch says it has the right to everything posted inside of it? Couldn't someone just locate one of their sites in the states, only pull thread titles, and OP excerpts and call it fair use, and just basically act like the hufpo or drudge of 2ch?

Isn't thats what google searching 2ch with a targeted search would do anyway....right? So besides the fact that google is a 200 ton monster, is there another reason they aren't going after google also for aggregating their threads?
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
So 2ch says it has the right to everything posted inside of it? Couldn't someone just locate one of their sites in the states, only pull thread titles, and OP excerpts and call it fair use, and just basically act like the hufpo or drudge of 2ch?

Isn't thats what google searching 2ch with a targeted search would do anyway....right? So besides the fact that google is a 200 ton monster, is there another reason they aren't going after google also for aggregating their threads?

I think the issue isn't just that they're re-posting/aggregating news from 2ch, but rather that they're re-posting selections of entire conversation threads, and becoming a substitute for 2ch itself. It's sort of plagiarism as opposed to fair use (despite it being user-generated content). They're also accused in some cases of modifying/fabricating posts, and not linking back, which is also a bit insidious.

If Google indexes the content, at least it links back to the source. If another site creates their own summary of the content, they could be said to be adding value on both sides. But given that 2ch is a site whose entire model depends on people posting there, taking the conversation threads and selectively reposting them on another site does nothing but drive traffic away from 2ch itself, which is the start of a death cycle. It probably also annoys them that, when quoted in the media and on other sites like ANN, these other blogs get the credit, rather than the original source. So they would probably say that these other sites are just lazily extracting the value and revenue (in terms of ad dollars) from 2ch users' posts, and giving little back in return.

(At least, that's one way of perceiving it. You could also argue that 2ch is too big and fast-moving, and these sites add value by curating the content for users who don't have the time to read it all but still want the 2ch experience. i.e. They're filling a need that 2ch itself wasn't filling for people.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
RoverTX wrote:

I think the issue isn't just that they're re-posting/aggregating news from 2ch, but rather that they're re-posting selections of entire conversation threads, and becoming a substitute for 2ch itself. It's sort of plagiarism as opposed to fair use (despite it being user-generated content).

Japanese seem like to do that. I know in one of the English J-expat forums, Japanese blogs would copy and even translate the threads. It's funny seeing some of my posts translated to Japanese in J-blogs, and Japanese commenting about it. Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
@relentlessflame

That kind of excerpting is still fair use, or at least it would certainly qualify if Japan had it. Credit is still given to its source as 2ch. In fact, the smaller the excerpt out of the larger source content, the more sound its fair use standing is! It's what allows teachers to pass out copies of small portions of textbooks, or anyone excerpting book passages, etc.

In any case, since Japan doesn't have fair use (nor fist sale, apparently) this new site with CC license is probably the only possible alternative with clear legal bounds
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1