• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Butler Season 2 Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
honestly i liked S1 of black butler...but season 2 was just yaoi fodder for the fan girls spoiler[don't get me started on that ending Rolling Eyes] i have been meaning to start the manga for awhile now but i haven't gotten around to it yet maybe after i catch up on zetman. Razz

Don't forget that Toboso sensei started her career drawing bl doujinshi. ^_~

I've finally been reading the Kuroshitsuji manga that I bought a couple summers ago and wow! I should have read it sooner rather than have it sit on my shelf all this time! It's soooooooo much better than the anime! I'm on vol.13 and will be finishing it today so it'll be sad that I'll be running out of Kuroshitsuji to read.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
opn wrote:
honestly i liked S1 of black butler...but season 2 was just yaoi fodder for the fan girls spoiler[don't get me started on that ending Rolling Eyes] i have been meaning to start the manga for awhile now but i haven't gotten around to it yet maybe after i catch up on zetman. Razz

Probably still does...
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I just read the manga and pretend season 2 never existed.

I completely agree. I became angry that Ciel supposedly got eaten at the end of season one, only waaaait actually he's alive in season two. I'll just stick with the manga.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Probably still does...

I don't think she does. If she did, we'd all know.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
I know people are entitled to their opinions but Season 2 was a letdown? Are you kidding me? Granted the OVA's were weak and the first 4 episodes of the second season were slightly campy. and maybe some people will be annoyed at the ending of the second season, but you cannot possibly tell me that this show had some very dark, very creepy moments. Did I watch the same show as everyone else? I thought Luci Christian's English performance as Alois Trancy is one of the best she has ever done, the same goes with Jason Douglas as Claude and Caitlin Glass as Hannah.I don't know why Carl has rated this so low but honestly, I'm more disappointed that people are disappointed by this.
BSzabo45

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
I know people are entitled to their opinions but Season 2 was a letdown? Are you kidding me? Granted the OVA's were weak and the first 4 episodes of the second season were slightly campy. and maybe some people will be annoyed at the ending of the second season, but you cannot possibly tell me that this show had some very dark, very creepy moments. Did I watch the same show as everyone else? I thought Luci Christian's English performance as Alois Trancy is one of the best she has ever done, the same goes with Jason Douglas as Claude and Caitlin Glass as Hannah.I don't know why Carl has rated this so low but honestly, I'm more disappointed that people are disappointed by this.

Couldn't agree more with the above statement, I share JackCox's confusion. Although I agree that the OVA's were a let down, I'd rather watch the second season instead of the first. And I hardly ever say that about an anime series.

Alois and Claude provided good, emotionally connectable antagonists who were much better than any of the villians in the first season. Especially Ash and Angela. Unlike Ciel, Alois made a deal with a demon mainly because he wanted someone to love him which made for good conflict between him and Claude. You knew Hannah had a role in everything but they didn't reveal it until the end when she manages to sneak past both Claude and Sebastian. The second season even managed to work in most of the previous characters without making it seem too contrived. Put a check mark next to creepiness as well.

The thing that really sets the second season apart from the first was it's more linear storyline. Season one was all over the place and even the ending episodes came out of nowhere in my opinion. A clearer cut storyline, three dimensional villians and theatrical delivery is what made the second season.

Dissapointed in the review, anime doesn't need mecha and ninja's to be good.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I casually liked the first season, I heard season two was "bleh" so I'm not going to buy it. I didn't buy the first season, watched it on Funimation's YouTube channel free, I will do that if they upload the dub for season two, I'm just not compelled to buy it. I've found other things I like more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2