• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Sells Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets to Kidsco for US$10 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I guess 4Kids is going to go for more European kids shows now like they original did with Winx and Funky Cops? I imagine they're cheaper to license compared to big name anime like Yu-Gi-Oh. Watch them try to get Tara Duncan next.

Just what I was thinking. From one bad company to another. When will Yu-Gi-Oh ever get DVDs with Japanese audio and no editing?

its as i said in another thread pertaining to this. yugioh is forever doomed to continue this cycle of suck.

the sooner people accept that (and what i mean by accept, i mean accepting massive cuts and censoring up to hell) the more easier it is to move on.

this series,like Pokemon are to forever remain kid friendly, although Pokemon is a special case now as it is very toned down from earlier seasons so it doesn't really matter all that much now.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Oh my god.

That is so hilariously terrible I must see at least one episode just to revel in the sheer awfulness.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Wow. That's just hilariously awful. Laughing

Wow, that is pretty horrendous. I'd say that it looks like crappy flash animation put together by an amateur on his home desktop, but considering I've seen way better animation by some amateurs that'd be pretty insulting to them. It just just looks like a cross between pokemon, digimon, and power rangers(?) only there's only one voice actor who's doing mostly reactional noises. It's such an abomination, it finds a way to make even the laziest of flash animated shows that I loathe look like gold in comparison. If this is 4Kids last leg to stand on something tells me they won't be walking very far.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

its as i said in another thread pertaining to this. yugioh is forever doomed to continue this cycle of suck.

the sooner people accept that (and what i mean by accept, i mean accepting massive cuts and censoring up to hell) the more easier it is to move on.

this series,like Pokemon are to forever remain kid friendly, although Pokemon is a special case now as it is very toned down from earlier seasons so it doesn't really matter all that much now.

Or they could just watch the fansubs like a sane person and not willingly suffer through the edits and Americanization.

kakoishii wrote:
It just just looks like a cross between pokemon, digimon, and power rangers(?)

From what I can assess

Pocket Monsters in the sense they catch monsters (with some Pokemon Ranger in they have to tie it up with magic string)
Digimon in they can temporarily evolve (presumably)
Pluster World in that they can fuse with their monsters to become fighters
And maybe Beyblade since the Monster Ball-esque thing spins around alot.

The art looks like a bad rip off of Pocket Monsters, though. That one kid looks like a carbon copy of Satoshi.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know where the rights to Doremi are in this mess? Have they reverted to Toei?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Wow. That's just hilariously awful. Laughing

Ah, yes, the Battle of Ancient Times. I'm sure all of the victors then celebrated with drink at table where they ate feast.

Is this somebody's entry for a contest for the picture to appear next to generic and derivative in the dictionary? That was the most cynically bland and stupid thing I've seen in ages. They might as well make Santa Clause Meets the Ice Cream Bunny: The Animated Series.

Please... please tell me that nobody paid gave anybody money to make that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4Kids also acquired the international rights to the 52-episode anime-influenced Italian cartoon series Beastkeeper

Quote:
So this is Beastkeeper?

Well the anime-influenced Italian cartoon description should have prepared me for the horror that is Beastkeepers.... but it didn't. Excuse me I need to go curl up in the fetal position under my blankets and try to forget what I just saw.
Ninjachad

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
If they let Shout! Factory distribute it in maybe 26 episode sets, I would be interested. As much as I would like it uncut, I did like the dub for it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I stopped caring about Yu-Gi-Oh! a long time ago, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Just don't expect unedited DVDs, not only because of the company involved, but also because of that issue with Yugi's Japanese voice actor depriving us of it (4Kids DID attempt to stream it a couple years ago before that jerk pushed the red button).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I think it's safe to say that 4Kids has hit rock bottom in a different way than before, but until we get DVDs of "Season 0", I honestly don't care what happens to the YGO franchise.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ninjachad wrote:
If they let Shout! Factory distribute it in maybe 26 episode sets, I would be interested. As much as I would like it uncut, I did like the dub for it.

I doubt Shout! Factory would be interested since the last time they released anime that's not Transformers-related (Dinosaur King & Medabots), they sold poorly. Brian Ward confirmed this back when someone asked if they can release Digimon here.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
well i am extremely happy because Yu-Gi-Oh! is not under 4kids' authority anymore. this new company wasn't on top of my list of companies that should dub Yu-Gi-Oh!, but any company other than 4kids is good news to me. 4kids had the chance to show it was able to work and handle Yu-Gi-Oh!, and they pretty much failed at that. Therefore, i am willing to let any other company give a shot at it. I might not know how this new company is going to handle the show, but i can tell you with practically 100% certainty that 4kids handles Yu-Gi-Oh! poorly.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness, the "new" Saban does seem a lot more fan friendly than they once were. They are, after all, bringing us box sets of the previous Power Ranger, VR Trooper, and Beetleborg series. I could see them following that up with Yugioh and other series that still have something of a fanbase. Nostalgia sells and Yugioh has been on TV in the US for over 10 years, the kids watching back in 2001 are now adults with money and kids of their own. I'm sure Saban and Kidsco know there's money to be made in making the series as available in as many ways as possible (short of uncut releases).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Does anyone know where the rights to Doremi are in this mess? Have they reverted to Toei?

If anything, the licenses to Doremi (and T.M.M. for that matter) that 4Kids had might have been expired already, and probably reverted as well, but a chance to seeing a revival to either of them uncut/re-dub is really slim to none.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
4Kids notified ANN? Can we be sure it's a reliable source?
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Primus wrote:
11G4GUNOT wrote:
Quote:
KidsCo is an affiliate of the Saban Capital Group

huh more Cookie Jar (Cinar), Comcast (NBCUniversal) and Nelvana (Corus) and now Saban that brings back DiC and Saban all the way back in the 80s sweet.

It's been official Nicktoons just like the UK.
done. (Hope it's on "This is for kids" lol)

It's a really poor choice of a name. This KidsCo has nothing to do with the international children's network of the same name. Saban's KidsCo was set up earlier this year.

Yes, the two companies are unrelated. Saban is even financing the deal, so there is little question as to who is backing the new KidsCo.

It's a shame the original KidsCo was still not launched in the US after 4 years. not to be confuse of Saban how about no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2