• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Good Smile Racing Hatsune Miku BMW Wins Super GT300 Round 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Super GT, this isn't anime news.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Which is why it's filed under "Interest" rather than "News". Smile
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Aw yeah. SuperGT's one of my favorite racing disciplines, because the cars are perfectly balanced in power and style. And they race on Suzuka. Anybody who races on Suzuka is awesome. I wish this car was in Forza 4, I'd use the shit out of it (though I could just buy the GT3 Z4 and get a custom livey for it).

I wish there was more competitors like this, though. K-On! supra of Madoka GTR, anyone?
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Boy, some gnarly weather in that race.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of this, it's so-far,-so-good for Good Smile Racing. They finished second in Round 1 at the Okayama Circuit. And that's no easy race. Especially that Audi has entered the scene--it'll be even tougher.

Last edited by kenshinflyer on Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I wish there was more competitors like this, though. K-On! supra of Madoka GTR, anyone?

Right now, as is last year, there is an Ika-Musume Ferrari and a Mahha Go-Go-sponsored Ferrari; and another Good Smile Racing-sponsored BMW Z4, featuring ProjectMIRAI. I just dunno if the other Evangelion-sponsored car is still racing.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
If the anime companies think it's worth a couple million dollars a year to sponsor a car, then they will. For most companies it's not.

Racing is just fast advertising.
Yosuke Suzuki

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
kenshinflyer wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Right now, as is last year, there is an Ika-Musume Ferrari and a Mahha Go-Go-sponsored Ferrari; and another Good Smile Racing-sponsored BMW Z4, featuring ProjectMIRAI. I just dunno if the other Evangelion-sponsored car is still racing.

do you mean EVANGELION RT TEST TYPE-01 Apple Shiden,,
yeah it still racing on GT 300,,check again the GT 300 result and you'll find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
If the anime companies think it's worth a couple million dollars a year to sponsor a car, then they will. For most companies it's not.

Racing is just fast advertising.

I hope you're joking because there's a lot more to the various types of auto racing then just being "fast advertising" as you put it. It also hardly costs millions of dollars to sponsor a car.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
It costs millions of dollars every year to field a car on the level of Super GT, especially GT500... it costs HUNDREDS of millions of dollars to race in F1.

From an economic standpoint, professional racing is IMPOSSIBLE without advertisement, and a lot of it.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
From an economic standpoint, professional racing is IMPOSSIBLE without advertisement, and a lot of it.

LOL, NOPE.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It costs millions of dollars every year to field a car on the level of Super GT, especially GT500... it costs HUNDREDS of millions of dollars to race in F1.

As you point out, there are different types of professional racing with different levels of cost. While some corporate team is spending hundreds of millions for F1, on the other end of the scale some regular guy like my brother-in-law is out working with Sprint Car drivers helping them get local sponsorship so they can afford to field their cars.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Banken wrote:

LOL, NOPE.

Funny, but a millionaire race car driver spending his own money to field a car for ONE race doesn't prove my point invalid...

Technically speaking anyone can drive in a NASCAR race if they've got a couple hundred thousand dollars to blow, because that's how much it costs to get a seat with the teams that lease their cars.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
V1046-R wrote:
Banken wrote:

As you point out, there are different types of professional racing with different levels of cost. While some corporate team is spending hundreds of millions for F1, on the other end of the scale some regular guy like my brother-in-law is out working with Sprint Car drivers helping them get local sponsorship so they can afford to field their cars.

Sprint Cars are downright cheap compared to F1 (or any serious Formula car) and Super GT. The rules keep them so simple that the car itself is cheap. But racing at the top level still costs millions of dollars because you have to pay driver, pit crew, support staff, etc salaries, not to mention transportation and lodging costs for the whole operation...

Circle track racing at the grassroots level doesn't require sponsors, although everyone wants them. But it's not professional racing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1