• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GST and overseas orders

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This is prompted by a recent topic in the Retail section about Amazon and U.S. state sales taxes.
I've been away from Australia for a few years and I'm a bit out of touch, so can anyone answer this question: Are there any moves to put in tax on Australians' foreign purchases (via Amazon, for example). It seem (from talking to my family) that the practice of ordering stuff from America over the internet (including anime) has just exploded in last couple of years.
So are there any moves, for example to do something like what happens in many European countries, where you need to pay duty on your order to the postie in order to be given your package? Or some other way of making the competition between overseas-based internet businesses and local shops more even?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Currently, taxes only apply to purchases over $1000.

However there has been a push from the likes of Gerry Harvey and Dick Smith to lower the threshold, or require companies to register themselves in Australia.

The Government however have held off lowering the threshold, and the last I hear, don't plan to for at least a few more years.

As for being required to register a company in Australia, it's very unlikely. There's just too many sellers out there.

However in saying all of that, Amazon themselves are looking to house a warehouse here in the near future, so how that will work and whether we'll soon be needing to pay gst through them will be interesting.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the response. Interesting.
What is the system for collecting the tax on purchases that break the 1000 AUD barrier?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
On purchases that break the $1000 AUD barrier, Customs in Australia will hold the item, and require you to lodge an import declaration form.
It is on this form where you will list what is inside the package, which they then use to determine what duty and/or gst amounts you have to pay before it's released to you.

It's always recommended not to go above the threshold if possible, because the fees can be ridiculously high.

All the info can be found here
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1