• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
BTW Dragon, you bringing up Sengoku Collection reminds me of when we were talking about how it was supposedly a "Major flop".

It was finally promoted on the website, and now look at the result on Preorder Stalker (ignore the bad translations, Google Translate doesn't always do it well):

http://i50.tinypic.com/34imulx.jpg

I doubt they'll be cancelling it now.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Ah, you mean its just for Type B otaku, as you would say?

Seeing as how I don't know (and honestly don't care) what a "type b" Otaku is, so I have no idea.

I have noticed that you sure like to sling that term around as a pejorative though.

Really? I never would've taken RyanSaotome as self-loathing. The existence or use of a term to describe people who seem to have a common cluster of traits or preferences doesn't make it pejorative, even if some people disapprove of those clusters. I haven't really seen much pejoration with it and I don't know that it being pejorative would really be to the benefit or utility of the people you'd expect to use it pejoratively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
In case it hasn't been mentioned re Kids on the Slope, Kaoru doesn't play any Grieg. In fact, the only classical piece I recall him touching was Debussy's clair de lune in the first episode. That said, he does hit the right notes. Also, Sentaro's drum feature doesn't match perfectly, but it's close enough that it took me two goes to become disillusioned (and you probably wouldn't if you're not a drummer). I initially suspected some rotoscoping...it's that good.
Born_Gamer_83

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel that Medaka Box may be dropped before or shortly after the genre shift. Also, that's alot of shows to watch. So far I'm only keeping up with:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Is This A Zombie? Of The Dead!
Accel World
Sket Dance
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Eureka Seven Ao
Medaka Box

Alot of the shows continuing from last season are on hold till I get some free time to marathon them.

(Side Note: Holy crap! This was my first post!? Shocked )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Hyouka started way too late to be part of the Spring Preview guide, which finished about a week before Hyouka aired. And two weeks before AKB0048, which is my big disappointment. I really would have liked to see the various reviews of the first episode of that.

AKB0048 so far has filled my expectations of what it would be: A glorious trainwreck. I am looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. It could end up being the Guilty Crown of this season, meaning all kinds of plot twists that make no sense and a really high budget production.

Train wreck? It could easily become one and I was expecting to enjoy it in a "don't think, just drink the koolade and enjoy the craziness" sort of way like SoreKake Girl, but the first episode was actually really good.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Born_Gamer_83 wrote:
I can't help but feel that Medaka Box may be dropped before or shortly after the genre shift.

That's assuming the anime can actually get to the genre shift unless the show has been confirmed to be longer than 1-cour.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
BTW Dragon, you bringing up Sengoku Collection reminds me of when we were talking about how it was supposedly a "Major flop".

It was finally promoted on the website, and now look at the result on Preorder Stalker (ignore the bad translations, Google Translate doesn't always do it well):

Well whaddya know, rhey were able to squeeze that extra drop of blood from the proverbial otaku stone? I rather surprised, given the plethora of expensive otaku pleasers this season, but I never claimed that it was certain that it would be cancelled. Let's see if it continues to do this well, feel sorry for the poor saps who are wasting their money on this rubbish, but hey that's Japan for ya! Rolling Eyes
Surrender Artist wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Ah, you mean its just for Type B otaku, as you would say?

Seeing as how I don't know (and honestly don't care) what a "type b" Otaku is, so I have no idea.

I have noticed that you sure like to sling that term around as a pejorative though.

Really? I never would've taken RyanSaotome as self-loathing. The existence or use of a term to describe people who seem to have a common cluster of traits or preferences doesn't make it pejorative, even if some people disapprove of those clusters. I haven't really seen much pejoration with it and I don't know that it being pejorative would really be to the benefit or utility of the people you'd expect to use it pejoratively.

Quite the opposite, actually, as the classification system seems to have been thought up by the Type B otaku as a means of deriding those of us who "don't get" their kind of shows.

Last edited by dragon695 on Wed May 02, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And Nyarko-san as well! Razz

I hope she does that one too. Its my second favorite show of the season after Fate/Zero 2.

It's crap and needs to be swiftly thrown on the rubbish heap much like Sengoku Collection was. One episode was enough to know it wasn't funny nor was the sideways use of Lovecraft mythos anything good.

I'm detecting some frustration and closed-mindedness in this sector, captain.

Hope you don't mind seeing the series outsell pretty much everything else this season, either.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Well whaddya know, rhey were able to squeeze that extra drop of blood from the proverbial otaku stone? I rather surprised, given the plethora of expensive otaku pleasers this season, but I never claimed that it was certain that it would be cancelled. Let's see if it continues to do this well, feel sorry for the poor saps who are wasting their money on this rubbish, but hey that's Japan for ya! Rolling Eyes

You really can't handle that people like things you don't, can you? It seriously drives you up the [expletive] wall.

Its pretty entertaining to watch, in a way.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

You really can't handle that people like things you don't, can you? It seriously drives you up the [expletive] wall.

Its pretty entertaining to watch, in a way.

I actually find it amusing, kind of like seeing a train wreck: you just can't look away.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And Nyarko-san as well! Razz

I hope she does that one too. Its my second favorite show of the season after Fate/Zero 2.

It's crap and needs to be swiftly thrown on the rubbish heap much like Sengoku Collection was. One episode was enough to know it wasn't funny nor was the sideways use of Lovecraft mythos anything good.

I'm detecting some frustration and closed-mindedness in this sector, captain.

Hope you don't mind seeing the series outsell pretty much everything else this season, either.

At this point, only things I expect will outsell it are Fate/Zero 2 and possibly AKB0048 (especially if they have exclusive AKB48 songs and concert tickets that come with it). Its looking to be a good hit... and otaku don't just randomly buy something up. It has to have quality (or I guess brand recognition, like AKB, but that doesn't work with Nyarko), which Nyarko has.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed May 02, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
::emerges from her island to wave:: I'm a Saint Seiya fan! Me, me!

That saaaaid ~ actually, *as* a Saint Seiya fan I've been quite enjoying Omega. At first I was wary of it, given that they've changed quite a bit of things - the armors have changed from the original design, and they're no longer carried around in gigantic boxes that only Saints can carry - but the show won me over on *that* point when they actually managed to insert a canonical and plausible explanation for why that happened. So I give them a big thumbs up for continuity-checking. It's still too early for me to judge the staying power of the new show, but if anything I think it's one that, if you're a fan of action shows, can be enjoyed if you have 30 minutes out of a week to kill. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts on The Stream, though - *I* adore it, but then, I have a growing collection of Saint Seiya Myth EX figurines on my book shelf... ::cough::

That said, of the other shows that have come out this season, the only other one I've really sampled and stuck with is Kids on the Slope, so I'm *thrilled* to see it in the number one slot. It really does deserve it. I love slice-of-life, but it has to be a certain *kind* of slice-of-life. And Kids just punches all the right buttons for me.

Not sure how many of the others I'll be able to try this season - I'm still wrapping up a couple of shows from last season, like Aquarion EVOL and Knight in the Area.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I actually find it amusing, kind of like seeing a train wreck: you just can't look away.

That doesn't even make sense.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

What about that shows that its suddenly doing well? It has the lowest points on the list, and those all seem to be just for the DVD version.

The only positive thing I can see is that its currently ranking kind of decently, at least compared to anything else on the list, but it needs to hold that for a while to be indicative of anything. It may (and likely will) rank high for a few days and then drop off again. And again, its the DVD list.

And they were never going to cancel it, no matter how terrible the pre-orders were.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

That doesn't even make sense.

Pretty straight-forward, actually. Like a pile of dog crap, it doesn't evoke any sort of hysterical reaction and maybe avoiding it would be better, yet I'm equally amused by the stalwarts who defend this crap.

Edit: make it clearer.

Last edited by dragon695 on Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11