• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Good Smile Company's 10th Anniversary Figure Vote Results Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Rolling Eyes
I'm sick of the direction this market is going.

Which is?

Not enough goth lolita figures. Wink
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Which is?

To be honest, I'm not sure if I want to answer this question. I've been collecting these things longer than most around here have been anime fans. This leaves "quality" speculative between what today's collectors are accustomed to and what I am.

Worse, I don't want my answers to be broadly applied to a narrow issue, one which isn't a big deal to many fans today, because it's what they're used to.

If you can agree to read the following issues as they relate to me, and not find a reason to bicker because you feel differently, they are:

[*] The constant delays from a system now geared towards pre-orders. I understand its reason, but the simple fact is it's getting worse. The market is literally over-saturated with figures, which pushes people's ability to buy back. This means a pre-order isn't going to meet quota for figures not shaped like Saber.

As one who relies on bulk shipping for as much savings as I can, these delays have literally cost me 4 figures in the past 3 years due to unnecessary shipping costs.

[*] Quality is more hit-or-miss now than it's ever been. When I saw the words "gashapon" in the day, I knew quality wasn't possible. But stick the name Alter, GSC, or Kotobukiya on the package, and it was a guarantee. Today: Only Alter figures retain it. Everyone else's quality is... getting worse.

Techy side note: PVC is temperature sensitive. The warmer it gets, the more pliable it becomes. This means there's now a greater chance of figures deforming over time because they're using less PVC in their molds. PVC is a derivative of oil, as prices go up.

[*] Recently, I ordered a figure on pre-order which showed a prototype, painted. When I received it, it wasn't the pose given in the prototype. A very slight change turned a figure from appreciative to disgusted. Granted, it's just one event, but considering everything else, it's another loss in the trust I've placed in these companies. Lost trust = lost money.

[*] I'm getting pretty damn sick of "Let's just throw this character in a swimsuit" models coming out well before any other decent figures I'd like to own.

And finally...
Psycho 101 wrote:
Not enough goth lolita figures.

Damn right!
Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Updated results were available on the site all through the voting so the end results aren't very surprising. Exclusives pretty much aren't going to happen, Mikatan basically said as much, initially saying that those items wouldn't be in the poll, but they ended up making the poll with nearly every figure in each category anyway. As much as I'd love to get my hands on a cheap re-release of Saber Lily (and voted for it), I have no expectation of it being offered again.

I'm more interested in the write-in votes, there are a lot of unreleased prototypes that people have been begging for. I bet Figma Archer took the top spot. Very Happy

From the figma poll I'd probably buy the two Ga-Rei Zero figures. no real attachment to the series, but they are nice looking figures and go for $100+ on the aftermarket. Plus they're the only two on the two five that stand a chance off being offered.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

If you can agree to read the following issues as they relate to me, and not find a reason to bicker because you feel differently, they are:

[*] The constant delays from a system now geared towards pre-orders. I understand its reason, but the simple fact is it's getting worse. The market is literally over-saturated with figures, which pushes people's ability to buy back. This means a pre-order isn't going to meet quota for figures not shaped like Saber.

True. I can agree with the constant delays being uber-annoying. But, one thing I like, that seems to be a recent phenomena, is pre-orders for figures seem to not close out immediately once a store puts it up (Ritsu Tainaka nendoroid, I'm looking at you, TWICE).

Quote:

As one who relies on bulk shipping for as much savings as I can, these delays have literally cost me 4 figures in the past 3 years due to unnecessary shipping costs.

Another thing I can agree with. It really wrecks havoc on the budget when stuff gets bumped into a month that's already busy. But, dems the breaks and it sucks.

Quote:

[*] Quality is more hit-or-miss now than it's ever been. When I saw the words "gashapon" in the day, I knew quality wasn't possible. But stick the name Alter, GSC, or Kotobukiya on the package, and it was a guarantee. Today: Only Alter figures retain it. Everyone else's quality is... getting worse.

Agreed. Quality is all over the place nowadays. I've cut back on figure buying (mainly due to lack of space), but it always irked me when a figure looked so blah compared to prototype pictures shown when one pre-orders or looks at websites.

So, I can definitely agree on your points and aggravations towards the figure industry.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
So, I can definitely agree on your points and aggravations towards the figure industry.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who see them. I sometimes feel I whine too much about this issue, but I truly enjoy collecting figures. It's also nice my influence seems to have others going in the figure route, but it's getting difficult to recommend them to others.

Given their (increasing) price, the trade-off has reached its saturation point with me, so much so, once my (please don't kill me) Saber on a motorcycle comes in, I'll be purchasing far fewer figures in the future.

I'll be saving my money when Alter finally finishes out the Strike Witches line. Razz

I'll literally leave supporting this industry if Alter's quality goes into the toilet. That will be the last straw for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2