Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Colorfully Clandestine


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4231
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have no doubt in my mind that part of the contract for releasing a film like Colorful would be to mount an awards campaign to have it qualify for the Best Animated Feature Academy Awards.


Isn't it too late for Colorful to even be eligible for the Oscar? My understanding of the rules is that a foreign animated film has to play in a general (non-festival) theatrical release in Los Angeles by the end of the following year after its release in its home market, meaning Colorful could have been eligible for 2011 at the absolute latest.


I've seen Colorful at the 2011 Ottawa International Animation Festival and it was interesting but I honestly preferred Sunao Katabuchi's much more whimsical Mai Mai Miracle, which played at OIAF in 2009 and which also hasn't been licensed for the western market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. That many anime directors and producers weren't inspired by Akira and others like it. Nope, it was totally all those awesome moe/harem/loli fanservice shows!


When did I say a damn thing about "inspiration"?

Quote:
Meanwhile, you might want to get some some reading comprehension:


I did miss that though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tamaria



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 1512
Location: De Achterhoek
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I had the opportunity to see Colorful at a film festival a few weeks back. I had quite a few feelings and thoughts as I left the theatre, and one of them was "man, there is NO way that is getting any kind of commercial release, anywhere, ever."


It's available with Dutch and French subtitles on Blu-ray and DVD. Here, look, I have proof :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Melanchthon



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 550
Location: Northwest from Here
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I would let Emma Watson mug me anytime, if you know what I mean.

And about the Avengers, I am so sick and tired of superhero movies that even when a good one like this comes along, I'm not going to watch it. And the worst part is the movie is good, so 1) I won't being seeing a good movie and 2) There will be a ton of sequels not directed by Whedon, which means there will a lot more crappy superhero movies for me to hate on.

The thing that gets me over region locking is how futile it is. I mean, a quick google search on 'region zero dvd' will set you up in minutes flat and internet blocks can be defeated with a VPN or proxy (Although I would not suggest using a free one, since they are often used for 'real' crime). So once again, the unscrupulous come out ahead, while the innocent get screwed. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
The thing that gets me over region locking is how futile it is. I mean, a quick google search on 'region zero dvd' will set you up in minutes flat and internet blocks can be defeated with a VPN or proxy ...

And then Hulu tried to block IP addresses associated with VPN's and around it goes.

However, "able to be defeated" doesn't actually mean its futile. Its certainly futile with respect to the more technically adept, but the more technically adept isn't necessarily the bulk of the market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3653
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My question is, is this show accurate enough to be considered educational or is it nothing more than an entertaining spoof on the industry?

This didn't seem to be answered directly in the column. I'd say that it is pretty accurate actually, though a bit more historical since it doesn't take into account the digital process used currently.

Also even if you look into western animation as was suggested, the production process itself is quite different from anime, in addition to directional and stylistic differences (way too much emphasis on stretch-n-squash here, which I dislike; but western animation has more tweening which I like)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saturn



Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 513
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
There seems to be an age cohort of anime fans that sees the archetype of anime to be Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Is there an equivalent these days?


Naruto probably? Back in the day anyone who had a tiny bit of knowledge about anime and heard the term thought of Akira, now they think of Naruto. Wish it were the other way around-- when I was a kid people thought I was into hyper-violent and/or super sexy stuff, now that I'm an adult people think I watch kids' shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notazaku



Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Midnight premieres become less appealing when you realize you won't be home and in bed until around 3AM. Anyway speaking of the Avengers, I think this might be the first movie I've seen where the audience gave it a standing ovation at the end. Talk about instant feedback. There was no doubt the audience loved it, and I'm inclined to agree. It was a solid movie. Absolutely loved it.

As for region locking, since the US and Japan share the same region for blu ray I can import BDs and PS3 games and watch/play them on my PS3. So while I'm not a fan of region locking it's less of an issue for me these days at least as far as blu ray is concerned.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
There seems to be an age cohort of anime fans that sees the archetype of anime to be Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Is there an equivalent these days?
No, not really. If only because those movies never were "representative" of anime.

Whenever I see those two movies mentioned I'm reminded that after a decade of watching anime I've not once seen Akira or all of GitS. Nothing about either movie has ever appealed to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:

Whenever I see those two movies mentioned I'm reminded that after a decade of watching anime I've not once seen Akira or all of GitS. Nothing about either movie has ever appealed to me.


You aren't missing too much. They're decent Sci-fi movies, but Akira really makes no sense, and Stand Alone Complex is roughly a bajillion times better than either Ghost in the Shell movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15633
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Concerns about how major companies aren't touching stuff "more than two years old" are overstated. Funimation may not do it much, but Sentai Filmworks does. Over the past couple of years they've licensed and released several titles dating back to the mid-2000s; one of the most recent examples is Himawari!, a spring 2006 series, which they released back in October. ef - A Tale of Memories dates to 2007 but was released earlier this year. There are several other examples if one looks for them, even stuff as obscure as ICE.

Basically, slightly older titles are by no means impossibilities to get licensed as long as they're either high-quality or Sentai can get a good deal on them. (Which gives me hope that we might eventually see Valkyria Chronicles eventually get a proper American release. . .)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notazaku



Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You aren't missing too much. They're decent Sci-fi movies, but Akira really makes no sense, and Stand Alone Complex is roughly a bajillion times better than either Ghost in the Shell movie.

Yeah you're right. I really enjoyed SAC but I saw about 10 minutes of the original GitS movie and stopped watching out of boredom. As for Akira, I just can't summon the interest to care about it really but it's one of those "essential anime" people say you must see. Rolling Eyes That actually makes me less interested in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:

As for Akira, I just can't summon the interest to care about it really but it's one of those "essential anime" people say you must see. Rolling Eyes That actually makes me less interested in it.


Its most interesting from a technical perspective. It is very, very good looking.

But in terms of plot and stuff, its nothing that hasn't been done better since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2499
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerns about how major companies aren't touching stuff "more than two years old" are overstated. Funimation may not do it much, but Sentai Filmworks does. Over the past couple of years they've licensed and released several titles dating back to the mid-2000s; one of the most recent examples is Himawari!, a spring 2006 series, which they released back in October. ef - A Tale of Memories dates to 2007 but was released earlier this year. There are several other examples if one looks for them, even stuff as obscure as ICE.

Basically, slightly older titles are by no means impossibilities to get licensed as long as they're either high-quality or Sentai can get a good deal on them. (Which gives me hope that we might eventually see Valkyria Chronicles eventually get a proper American release. . .)


You beat me to it! Hell, they've even gone back much further with shows like Ghost Sweeper Mikami and have rescued some classics like Orphen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor S



Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2945
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course it could also be small and useless, but you know. Let's stay positive here.


Yeah, you're one of the more negative people here Brian. Remember, all physical media is dead to you, so it doesn't matter what any of the retail companies do if they're not streaming something. Streaming is the way of the future, so piss off to any physical media. Don't try to take another track on this now. Stick to your guns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notazaku



Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its most interesting from a technical perspective. It is very, very good looking.

But in terms of plot and stuff, its nothing that hasn't been done better since.

Technical achievements are nice but if I'm not invested in the story, characters, etc. I just find it difficult to care. Unfortunately Akira's story and characters really don't standout to me at first glance. I still may see it someday but it's a very low priority right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group