• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strongest female character in an anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdwyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
I will have to admit I was about to throw in my hat with Revy and the other women from Black Lagoon. But simply put, now that I think about it, it depends what your definition of "strongest" is.

Taken litterally, I could go with Eclair from Kiddy Grade. Taken aggressively, I could go with Revy from Black Lagoon or one of the Noir girls. Then there is the Major from Ghost In The Shell who questioned her own soul.

But if we are talking depth as a character. I try to imagine myself in their respective story. I try to imagine would I have the same response as they do. Would I come to the same conclusion that they do. One character keeps coming up for me. One character that has the couarge, the spirit, the faith, the aggressivness, the kindness, and most of all, puts others before herself nearly every step of the way.

Rosette Christopher from Chrno Crusade.

There is even other strong women in the series itself, but no one can hold a candle to Rosette.

As members of the Magdalene Order, she and her devil partner Chrono travel around the country eliminating demonic threats to society, while Rosette searches for her lost brother Joshua.

She is focused "...more in the manga and how the potential strength of her will can change her current situation..." <--This is a paraphrased quote from her creator, Daisuke Moriyama.

She is impulsive and never has many, if any, doubts. This is because of a contract she formed with Chrono when she was 11, spoiler[where her life is slowly ticking away by form of a pocketwatch. This allows Chrono to "feed" off her soul as an alternative to the astral energy he would be getting from his horns, which were lost and stolen by the evil Aion. Each time she opens the watch, it allows Chrono to take his true form. But each time she does, more of her soul (her life) fades away.]

She is more than just a strong arm, or a gunslinger. She has depth as a kind person with her feeling towards Chrono, and the watch. She bonds with other seemingly completely different characters. From Azmaria's shyness, to the strong and arrogant Satella. Each find a special kinship with Rosette. To top things off spoiler[she eventually shows signs of Stigmata, which further strengthen her character and her beliefs. But also sets in motion becoming Aion's puppet. She has the strength and resolve to eventually return with the bond she shares with Chrono.]

But if that wasn't enough, she faces down her own spoiler[death at 16 years old. While scared, she chooses to be with Chrono. As Chrono chooses to be with her. They both realize that they can save each other, by sacrificing themselves...but both ultimately choose to die together.]

But even spoiler[in death, her spirit] and influence continues through Azmaria who had been inspired by Rosette's couarge and selflessness, to become a sister in the Magdelene Order as well.

Her choices and faith in what she can do touches nearly every character in the entire series. To see how much, all you need to do is watch the final ten minutes of the final episode, and watch Azmaria's face, spoiler[as she completely breaks down by finding her body.]

If that isn't "strong", I don't know what is.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
wdwyer wrote:

She is impulsive and never has many, if any, doubts.

Except for the part when spoiler[she's so upset by her brainwashed brother fighting Chrono and destroying San Francisco and blames herself for it that she contemplates suicide, but instead because Aion's mindless minion.]

Rosette fails my test.
wdwyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
wdwyer wrote:

She is impulsive and never has many, if any, doubts.

Except for the part when spoiler[she's so upset by her brainwashed brother fighting Chrono and destroying San Francisco and blames herself for it that she contemplates suicide, but instead became Aion's mindless minion.]

Rosette fails my test.

First off never does she contemplate suicide. Maybe that's what you determined. But Aion's exact words were "do you want to save them or not?" spoiler[Meaning the people of the town. It was a simple yes or no. Aion then continues to twist words, and uses Chrono's words against her.] He proves there is a fine line between Justice and Violence.

spoiler[The Chrono/Joshua fight happens, not because they both love Rosette, but because Joshua was still under Aion's influence. All of which Rosette was completely drained and out of it and wouldn't know why it happened. The Ritual of Atonement itself was used to taint Rosette's heart,] this is explained in episode 20. spoiler[Aion furthered that taint by lying to her about the town. Then used her own morals against her. He convinces her to atone for the destruction which by lying has put on her shoulders. Then used Chrono's own words to Rosette to further the lie.]

spoiler[At this point her heart was already tainted by the ritual and the lies that Aion spreads allows her to fall under his "spell". The episode title is called "Poison/Temptation". They are symbolic to what happens to Rosette. It's the classic "fall from grace / redemption" story arc.]

It certainly doesn't diminish Rosette's "strength" as a character. Again, it comes down to what you define as "strongest". I see it as depth of character. She would be a completely different character, without spoiler[her fall from grace and subsequent return.] It becomes an important part of her strength.

In her eyes, she believes she is saving people. spoiler[All the while Aion is using her for his own means. Remember, she doesn't do anything unless Aion instructs her, ]this is seen multiple times most prominently in episode 21 right before she demands spoiler[her life back from Chrono.] At this point she is spoiler[not herself and well under Aion's control. Chrono realizes this, as he remembers himself falling to his influence...and regrets it to this day.]

In episode 23, it took the spoiler[final Stigmata to free her from Aion's spell. Chrono himself states this word for word. After Aion mortally wounds Chrono, Rosette makes the choice to drain her entire life, in order to save him. She states herself that is the greatest strength, the power to choose.]

She IS the strongest anime character.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why my post here keeps disappearing or it's my faulty computer but...

I believe Balsa of Seirei no Moribito is one of the strongest I've ever seen.

She is tough both physically and mentally, and she managed to not kill anyone yet; it's harder to not kill when your a warrior right?

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
ryuzaki11 wrote:
I don't know why my post here keeps disappearing or it's my faulty computer but..

Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.

I delete posts on sight that violate this rule. Yours probably happened to fit this description. Please keep in mind that when you post, that you should try to be as detailed in your response or question as possible. Don't just say a name or make a list, tell everyone the reasoning behind your opinions. The more serious you present yourself, the more serious people will take you.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
I was just going to mention Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop.

That clip of her with sunglasses on blasting away with an Uzi is just too cool. I don't remember the episode where this happened, but it was very early on in the series.

Faye would have to be strong to join forces with constantly-starving bounty hunters in space. Not to mention that she previously spent what would normally be a lifetime for most people in suspended animation. I especially enjoyed the episode where she spoiler[visited her home town and ran into one of her high school classmates who is now an old woman. ] She was taken aback a bit by this experience but was able to move on. Most people would have had some sort of breakdown.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of Macross Frontier's Sheryl Nome?

Sure, she may not be able to handle herself in a fight. She doesn't have super powers. Heck, the one time she tries to pilot a Valkyrie in combat she gets shot down within moments of taking control.

But, she doesn't need that. (That's what Klan's for lol.) What makes Sheryl strong is that she is repeatedly dealt a bad hand by fate and she keeps coming back with a vengeance.
spoiler[
The pivotal moment in her development comes in the second half of the series, when she is dumped by her manipulative manager, who then turns around and tells Sheryl that she will die from a terminal disease there is no cure for, crushing any hope she had of making a comeback on her own.

While Sheryl had been tough before, this completely strips her of any armor she had left, which allows her to finally and completely open herself to Alto and gain a little hope back. She then tries to build her career on her own, taking gigs in night clubs and singing for whoever will listen, despite the fact that everyone has forgotten about her by now. ]

Later on, while the Vajra are wreaking havoc on the Frontier colony, she starts singing to the people sharing her shelter to take their minds off of the impenetrable despair everyone is feeling. The way she stands up when she ought to be cowering in fear, and the song she sings, she absolutely OWNS the scene. I liked her already, but that moment made me go "WOW."

In shorter, non-spoiler form, Sheryl is forced to the brink of total despair, which forces her to shed her old, faulty personal armor and open her heart to those she loves. This allows her to recover her lost hope and come back stronger and more brilliant than ever. So much so that she becomes a symbol of hope for the people of the Frontier colony, even after she had slid into near-total obscurity.

*spoiler[not including the finale, where she gets a front row seat as the Vajra fleet cuts Frontier's forces to ribbons and Alto gets shot down right in front of her.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Must be necro weekend or something Laughing

Once again, I'll throw my hat in the ring, I guess... I see a lot of replies mention females who are physically strong, or have the power to defeat many enemies. That's understandable. If we're judging by those particular attributes then Canaan from the series of the same title would be worthy of a mention.

When I think of 'strong' though, I think of emotional and mental strength, that's probably reflected in my taste in anime, I tend to favour a romance or drama over an action series any day of the week. To this end, I'm probably mention Yuko from Ef: A Tale Of Melodies. spoiler[Shunned by her first love as a child, she grows up in an abusive household and yet she remains stalwart, waiting for the opportunity for her love to be realised. She knows that a tragic end is likely but she lives for the moments she and Yu can spend together. She's able to help Miki out when she's at her lowest point, and after death she becomes a guiding soul for other Ef characters.]

In my head I keep coming back to Mitsuki from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, because of spoiler[the sheer amount she had to put up with at the hands of Takayuki.] But she shows many signs of weakness throughout the series; Indeed, her weakness is a defining character trait, so I think she should probably be discounted.

Slightly more mainstream, Chidori from the FMP franchise? Not only can she throw a mean punch, she's assertive and bold. spoiler[She pulls Sousuke out of the mire on more than one occasion, and she becomes his reason to fight in the end.] Yes, I feel she warrants a mention Smile
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
What a shame, 4 pages and nobody mentioned Lady Oscar?
I've always wondered how Ikeda-sama managed to create so magnificent character and never cross the borderline between strong character and Mary Sue.
Strong female don't have to be tomboy who never cry and show his feelings. Character who slaughter all his enemies with poker face would be as annoying as "kawaii-cute moe". The strong characters as Oscar (and Utena) have feelings, moments of doubts and weakness, make wrong decisions, don't have to be always right, but they deal with it, and take responsibility for all consequences.
UsuiTakumi

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Theres alot of characters that poped into my mind when i read the thread title. But when i think about all the differant aspects of being "strong" it makes it a much tougher choice. Strong as in physical strength or mental? which makes a person stronger? I thought about it and i'd have to say...

For Will Power alone i'd have to pick Nunnally from Code Geass. Her strength in R2 alone stood out to me and she was one of the last females i thought of for this thread. But when i sat and thought one scene poped into my head, spoiler[ Her breaking Charles(Emperor)'s Geass with her own willpower just to try and bring peace was very overwhelming. Even though she just got geassed again by Lelouche(which she fought but eventually gave in)]

For Physical strength i'll go with Android 18 from DBZ i guess. First thought was Videl but yeah i overlooked 18. Unlike Videl she can blow up the world with her Ki blasts an fight on par with spoiler[ Both Goten and Trunks even though there kids.].

The others that came to mind were Misa from Kaichou wa maid sama, Misa from Death notespoiler[Write there name down and there dead? powerful] and Collet from Tales of Symphoniaspoiler[She knew from the start her mission to save the world would end with her not being what she was but she didn't mind that and did it to save the people she cares about.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
There have been some good candidates mentioned already... particularly Motoko Kusanagi, definitely the epitome of a strong female character.
I should also mention Nakiami (Xamd) as the continuation and evolution of the Miyazaki heroine (a strong female character type in its own right).
Claire from Claymore isn't the strongest out there, but shines in a series that is practically based on strong female characters.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Alicia Florence from the Aria series. She is loved by all who meet her. She retires from active duty in her chosen career while in her early 20s to take on a leading administrative role and to get married. Her goal in life is simply to bring people together.
If she gets angry, she doesn't ever show it. Instead, she blames herself for putting her friends in situations where they would repeatedly make mistakes.
In terms of physical strength and powers, all she has is supreme balance and proficiency with an oar. She saves people from stress and occasionally recovers lost objects.
That being said, Alicia isn't even in my top 25 favorite female characters. She's only a support character and she doesn't beat up any bad guys.

I 2nd Abriel Lafiel. Yes, she's potentially a good ruler of the galaxy.

Hitagi Senjogahara. She seems strong in many different ways. However, her main job still is being a high school student.

Mikoto Misaka, AKA the Railgun. She's very proficient at controlling electro-magnetic forces with her ESP powers. Her potential subjects are any electronic device, human, or metallic substance. (Other than in a beauty pageant, she would own Motoko Kusanagi.)
She's good and fairly strong willed. She's even younger than Abriel, though, so she needs some maturing.
Oddly, Mikoto should be able to beat the protagonist of the Index series, but apparently because she's the protagonist of a spin-off of said series, she suffers from a brain cramp whenever she spars with Touma.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
My vote is for Kenichi in Kenichi Mightiest Disciple.

Seriously what's up with this thread? It seems as pointless as all those endless arguments in other spaces like "who would win the fight, the Death Star or the Enterprise?"

Meaningless. Each fictional universe has its own set of rules and each set of characters has their own set of values.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
... Yet you still vote Wink

You're right, of course. Comparing various females is like trying to relate chalk and cheese, The only thing they have in common is that they're strong female personas in anime. The universes and fiction they inhabit is vastly different, so direct comparison is redundant.

I wouldn't say the thread is pointless however, if only because it serves to highlight the fact that in anime there are many strong female leads for many different reasons. It's worthy of comment, in my humble opinion.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Topic wrote:
Strongest female character in an anime

HaruhiToy wrote:
My vote is for Kenichi in Kenichi Mightiest Disciple.

So... a joke to display your opinion on the how not worthwhile this thread is?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5